S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Revised trans service recommendations and pricing???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 218 Likes on 130 Posts

I know why they run the filter built into the pan. Its so you get proper pick-up through the filter to send the fluid through the trans. I used to have an Audi that ran the ZF 5HP24A trans and the pan and filter was seperate and if you bought a filter and replaced it you could starve the trans as most filter companies would have different length pick-ups. I've seen one that had the pickup right against the pan when installed so it was unable to pick up any fluid. I will stick with the stock setup so the clearance is perfect as ZF intended it. I ended up having to cut down the pickup when I did a trans flush on my Audi and hopefully I didnt cut too much or not enough.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by jag79
4hr job, $125 per hourly rate
I am still wondering how the dealer gets a four hour job out of this. I was quoted here by our dealer the same time. I hate to beat a dead horse, but once the vehicle is raised level in the air (2 minutes for a lift) or (maybe just less than an hour using jacks and ramps etc...) Its an hour and a half job, to unscrew drain plug, remove 21 or so torx screws (albeit the northern vehicles may take longer) drop pan, remove electric connection, pull sleeve lock, install new sleeve, replace new pan and new torx bolts. remove fill plug, add fluid, start vehicle (have a cold cheap beer), pump in more fluid, tighten fill plug.

That sounds long winded but really its not that bad of a job and surely NOT 4 hours!

Old 11-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
I am still wondering how the dealer gets a four hour job out of this. I was quoted here by our dealer the same time. I hate to beat a dead horse, but once the vehicle is raised level in the air (2 minutes for a lift) or (maybe just less than an hour using jacks and ramps etc...) Its an hour and a half job, to unscrew drain plug, remove 21 or so torx screws (albeit the northern vehicles may take longer) drop pan, remove electric connection, pull sleeve lock, install new sleeve, replace new pan and new torx bolts. remove fill plug, add fluid, start vehicle (have a cold cheap beer), pump in more fluid, tighten fill plug.

That sounds long winded but really its not that bad of a job and surely NOT 4 hours!
Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!! Right on Rick, I laughed inside when the dealer told me that over the phone. I told him how cheap I can get the ZF fluid for $17 as compared to his offering of $60 a Liter and not to mention $197 for the pan, when we can get it for $127

Anyhow, like you said for the DEAlership to take 4 hrs to do this is a joke unless you have no clue what you are doing and if you are waiting for the Tranny to cool down from 131F+

Last edited by jag79; 11-04-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,409 Likes on 2,878 Posts

I will allow myself four hours of daylight simply because thus far I have not been able to gain access to a local hydraulic lift or Jiffy Lube-type pit myself. The three shops I've spoken with thus far are concerned about liability and will not rent me a lift or pit, not even after hours. So if I had to do this job today, it would be with jack stands and working on my back. Not my preference at all. I'll keep searching for a Fast Eddie's like Rick found, but no dice so far....

One advantage of doing it on jack stands in my driveway is that I can allow the factory fluid to drain for as long as I want. Certainly at least overnight, and maybe even longer....

Old 11-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
I will allow myself four hours of daylight simply because thus far I have not been able to gain access to a local hydraulic lift or Jiffy Lube-type pit myself. The three shops I've spoken with thus far are concerned about liability and will not rent me a lift or pit, not even after hours. So if I had to do this job today, it would be with jack stands and working on my back. Not my preference at all. I'll keep searching for a Fast Eddie's like Rick found, but no dice so far....

One advantage of doing it on jack stands in my driveway is that I can allow the factory fluid to drain for as long as I want. Certainly at least overnight, and maybe even longer....
Jon I hear your pain my man going below and doing this job on your back is not easy . I for one thought about it, but then I negotiated with a local independent Jag mechanic on the price. I told him I'll supply all the parts including the fluid, I'll just pay him for the labor, and he did it for $130. But like you said if you do it yourself you can leave the car overnight and let it drain out completely. In my case I had to wait 5hrs almost for the car to reach below 30C for them to start the work of filling her up etc.....,but anyhow keep trying to find some mechanic who will do it for your for a reasonable price instead of finding a place to rent. Just tell him/her what needs to be done and you should be fine.

cheers!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

I prefer to do it myself. I know I'll be a lot more meticulous about the entire process than a paid independent tech would be. Plus, as sensitive as these ZF units are, I want to doublecheck every step before moving on to the next one. Call me ****, but these ZF units are far too expensive to rush through just to get it over with....

Old 11-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Jon my offer still stands if you want to come down my way I can take you on base and you could use a lift there. I've only got a month and a half left then I'll be moving up your way. Looking for a place in southern Raleigh not farther then Fuquay so if you know of any rentals homes also let me know. We are practically gonna be neighbors. Then again not really sure what part of Raleigh you live in. If you can wait till mid-Dec let me know and I'll come over and give you a hand and we can film it for the FAQ.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

I prefer to do it myself. I know I'll be a lot more meticulous about the entire process than a paid independent tech would be. Plus, as sensitive as these ZF units are, I want to doublecheck every step before moving on to the next one. Call me ****, but these ZF units are far too expensive to rush through just to get it over with....
Jon I too am very meticulous on how my STR is treated by anyone who lays a hand on her, so basically you can imagine how my condition was when I was watching the Jag tech perform his work. Before the work even started I gave him print outs and a lot of useful info so he can absorb any extra tid bits that he wasn't aware of. It all boils down to whom you trust and how competent the mechanic is. But anyhow good luck, Vance knows his stuff inside and out so you would be better off taking his advice and making that sweet video of the procedure

Last edited by jag79; 11-04-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag

Simple... Flat rate "book time". It's how mechanics and shops regularly make their $$.

They also charge redundantly. I.e. If the connector sleeve books at 1.5 hrs, AND the trans flush/fill pan replacement books at 2.5 - they will charge you for both, even if the connector sleeve becomes a 5 min job when combined with the other repair.

That's my guess for how they get to 4 hrs book time, but if you're really curious I'll call my brother and ask him what mitchell estimator books it at.

George

Old 11-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

Vance,

Thanks again for your very kind offer. But it's a 3-hour drive to Camp Lejeune, and our car would probably need half a day to cool back down before we could do the ATF job. And I'm in no hurry - the car only has 51,300 miles on it. Still plenty of life left in our factory ZF Fluid. The only reason I would change it now would be if the connector sleeve starts leaking. Last time I checked (probably a couple of weeks ago), our sleeve is still fine (now knocking profusely on wood)....

Glad to learn that you're moving to the Triangle area. I thought that you and your lovely wife were headed to Florida after your stint in the military was finished....

I don't know anything about the local rental market. But I'll start watching the listings in the News & Observer and if I see anything that might be in the ballpark, I'll send the details to you....

Rather than tying up this thread, send me a PM on your house requirements (preferred location, square footage, one-story vs. two-story, garage or not, etc.), and I'll have a better idea of what to keep my eyes open for....

You might also want to google "Raleigh area houses for rent" and see what turns up....

Last edited by Jon89; 11-04-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

Vance,

Thanks again for your very kind offer. But it's a 3-hour drive to Camp Lejeune, and our car would probably need half a day to cool back down before we could do the ATF job. And I'm in no hurry - the car only has 51,300 miles on it. Still plenty of life left in our factory ZF Fluid. The only reason I would change it now would be if the connector sleeve starts leaking. Last time I checked (probably a couple of weeks ago), our sleeve is still fine (now knocking profusely on wood)....

Glad to learn that you're moving to the Triangle area. I thought that you and your lovely wife were headed to Florida after your stint in the military was finished....

I don't know anything about the local rental market. But I'll start watching the listings in the News & Observer and if I see anything that might be in the ballpark, I'll send the details to you....

Rather than tying up this thread, send me a PM on your house requirements (preferred location, square footage, one-story vs. two-story, garage or not, etc.), and I'll have a better idea of what to keep my eyes open for....

You might also want to google "Raleigh area houses for rent" and see what turns up....
Thanks for the help I'll send you a PM. My wife is from the Raleigh area (born and raised in Cary) so thats why we are looking there now. We had to scratch off FL cause of us both going to school the out of state tution would of killed us. Even though my home of record is Michigan since I have been renting here and have a car registered here I qualify for NC residency so we can both go to school here as residence so we changed out mind. Well I should be up in that area by Dec so when you do decide if I havent did mine yet let me know and we can get a video up.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi tbird!!!
I saw other post from you about the Navigation DVD 2009-2010 for Stype.
Can you sell me a copy?
Thanks,

Old 11-09-2010, 02:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,564 Likes on 3,968 Posts

A n d . . . here come the moderators!!

Old 11-09-2010, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

For what it's worth. A couple of guys have tried upgrading with a copy and it hasn't worked.

It would appear you can utilize a copy to run once you've upgraded.

I think that's what people who sell their originals on Ebay are doing. So buy an original.

BTW, I have a friend who just bought a used A8 and on that car he was able to update & operate from a copy of the original disk. So apparently Jaguar is better protected.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,502 Likes on 1,960 Posts

I was unable to get the copy to work and ended up purchasing a new 2010 disc. Some people have gotten it to work so maybe it was me??