S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rims,tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rims,tires?

so is it possible to put 19x8.5 in the front and 19x10 in the back?

Old 11-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

According to 03jagstr yes...that is what these are (which is his car)...

Name:  2008_06290008.jpg
Views: 1788
Size:  134.3 KB

Old 11-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rocketdude

so is it possible to put 19x8.5 in the front and 19x10 in the back?
Yes it is.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Man I love the str but I've been checking these out...
Name:  DSCF0194-1.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  64.1 KB

Any str guys had any experiences with these?

Old 11-05-2008, 10:05 PM

no offense Aquill, but Caddies are not that good. My friend has the CTS-V and an XLR. He loves both, but he says the ride is stiff in the CTS-V. He also said that it is terrible on resale value.

*Forgot to mention that he has had to replace the radiator 3 times*

Funny you mention the CTS!?

Old 11-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Hey haro did you forget your on a jag forum?

Resale value is a thing you take for granted!

ie...jaguar s-type r new costs over 60k new...I've seen 2005's go for the low 20's if not close to the teens...

I haven't seen a 2005 cts v for less than 20k and the initial cost was in the 50's. So that is pretty much null point...(BTW sorry if any of this comes off argumentative, it wasn't meant that way I promise, just pointing it out!)

As far as radiator goes I'm surprised his problems have been with that! From the forums the differential is the problem with these cars...some guys have had 3 different diffs put into them. As far as stiff suspension I haven't really heard anything about that, I know that almost all of the guys I've read about changed their suspension to be even stiffer (lowering springs and different shocks.)

With any of these cars I expect failure!

I just thing it would be fun to own a 4 door 6 speed...did I forget to mention z06 Ls2??? Wish they didn't weigh so much! If it were a northstar powered v8 I'd never ever look into it!

The other selling feature is the ability to alter the thing, unfortunately you can't really do much with jags here in the states.

STR guys don't get me wrong I love str's and I love jaguar. I probably won't end up with either, unless the current job application works out, but I sure do enjoy looking!

I never really paid any attention to the cadi until I found out it had a 6speed and vette engine in it. IMO the STR looks incredibly better! Not to mention the interior is also awesome. I'd probably test drive both before sticking to one over the other.

On another note while driving to the physical test site for my hopeful future job site I happened to get off the expressway and what do ya know...I was looking at texascarsdirect warehouse to my right???

If you don't know what that is they are a seller of mainly jags for cheap and I've wanted to go and check out their stash of cars...I couldn't believe that they were sitting right next to me...the only reason I got off the e-way was because it was backed up and I figured it'd be faster to roll on the service drive...man what a coincidence! I wish I had time to look and that they were open (7:30am they were closed!)

Old 11-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah in all honesty I love my Jag, but I would trade a finger to have an LS2 in it... from a modability, reliability, and displacement standpoint the LS2 is farrrrr superior to our cars.. I would never drive a CTS though because the interior looks like generic GM garbage.. but I sure do love the powertrain.. I have an acquaintance with a CTS-V on 22" Asantis with a Kenn-Bell on it and that thing is fassstttt! I think hes putting down over 600 on motor.. BUT the extra displacement of the LS2 comes at a price, I think the price is around 9-12mpg without the supercharger (I have a company gas card so I wouldnt mind, but I imagine most people would...) All of the LS motors are great, but thats something I imagine we'll never see in a Jag... I'm just suprised ford didnt give the STR the 03 Cobra motor.. that thing is a beast too.. they cheaped out on the cobra engine after 03 and the one before 03 sucked, but for that one year those blocks were quite impressive.. sheeet am I still typing? Its 3:30 I have to get back to work...

Old 11-06-2008, 07:42 PM

American cars are ****! There I said it. BENZ, BIMMER, JAG, ROLLS, AUDI, LEXUSare allgreat!!!!American cars are terrible.Caddillac will never make a good car. GMhas the wrost cars on the road. TheHummer was a complete waste. Only in Russia are they envied.

Sorry Aquill.Americansdo not have the formula down for car making. Take Chrysler300 for example. They look nice, and havea "hemi" butare crap. Dodge Charger, Chevy Camaro?

Americans made nice cars in the past, but they were gas guzzlers and need alot of TLC. Notice how all new Americancars look similiar to Japanese ones??Someone was doing somthing right and the others copied!!!What is the CTS-V you ask???? A STR killer? A TL Type S killer?? Come on!!!!

I have had many American cars. My Lincoln Town Car had to be the best. My Accord has 203,000 miles and runs likeNEW. I never maintain it!!!

Aquill, I know as you and many others will read this thread, you willeither agree or disagree with me.

This is just my thought on the matter.But if you are looking for the equivalent of the CTS-V and STR, get a Acura TL type S. Japanese cars are the best. They never have problems. You can counter argument me, but good luck finding asite on the internet where someone is constantly putting money into their "Jap" car.

Iwould take a TL type S over any car on the road today!!! Quick, luxurious, Reliable, resale value, QUALITY parts. OOOOOHHHH Did I MENTION 6th Gear?

HAHAHACTS-V ohhh Americans with there so called MUSCLE CARS. I love the macho mentality, but the Japs and Germanshave surpassed us by so much!!!

Old 11-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

for arguments sake when me and my friends TL type S race I pulled 3-5 lengths on him every time.. he has an 08 paddle shift with 14k miles and it looks great and I love the car, but fast is not an adjective I would associate with it....

Old 11-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

but he does get better gas mileage..

Old 11-07-2008, 08:07 AM

ORIGINAL: whiteSTR

for arguments sake when me and my friends TL type S race I pulled 3-5 lengths on him every time.. he has an 08 paddle shift with 14k miles and it looks great and I love the car, but fast is not an adjective I would associate with it....
point taken. I guess I have not grown to appreciate american cars like the CTS-V and Roush Mustangs, and Hemi powered cars.

Maybe I should broaden my horizons.

But let me tell you this, I would take a Ford F-350 over any other pickup!!!! Ifound an article back in2006 that asked Mercedes-Benz if they would ever make a pickup truck. They said no, Fordhas owned that marketfor over80 years.

Lets notforget Ford's first Microsoft powered NAV, first Sirius Digital TV in Lincoln Navigators, and the world's first carbon fiber wheels!!!!

Maybe I am a Ford guy, with the love of NASCAR and Country Music.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

I'm a ford guy too...i would love the terminator but the cost is kind of high for it...not to mention with my luck the supercharger would do something radical shortly after i purchased without a warranty and the lack of 2 more doors.

I love the look of the type-s but the thing that gets you drawn into the str and cts v is the fact that they can both be had for cheap and you don't see them even once a week or month let alone every day.

You should probably read what Clarkson wrote about the new cts v. LINK TO ARTICLE>>>

American cars aren't as bad as your making it out. They are just entirely different, they are built with different intentions. When thinking American cars they are built for different reasons, here in the states the cars are built to be comfortable and ride nice not carve through the mountain side. Our sports cars are more for power and straight line not twisties I guess I just fail to see why that is such a bad thing. Shoot if I could get a lightning in extended cab I'd prolly be all over that! I know you can get a harley f150 but I don't care for harley.

Think about it though, the cts v can be modded incredibly even though its a rare car. The entire powertrain can be altered to whatever you want. From the intake to the exiting exhaust tips there is something from a parts catalog you can use. As for mpg with it they get the same as the STR so that is a wash. When I'm shifting to save gas I have to skip shift from 1st to 4th so I might be able to improve that gas mileage. IMO having a naturally aspirated motor such as the ls2 that has lots of history should be incredibly reliable. The t56 has been around for a while as well. So the only things I should have to worry about are the other cadillac bs go. I really wanted a gto just because you can get em cheap and they look alright but the interior is incredible. Not to mention they have been recorded getting around 30mpg but you lack 4 doors (that and my wife hates the gto!)

As far as car ownership until recently every car I've owned has had over 200k miles. My 1994 f150 flareside that my dad didn't take care of at all (4-5 accidents the last one totalled it out) I sold with 220k miles and never did anything to it. I sold it in 2004 and ended up seeing it in 2006 while on a delivery for my job. My next vehicle was a 97 monte carlo that had 204k when i sold it. The other car I owned but never drove was a 94 bonneville that had over 200k miles and is still being driven by the guy I sold it to now.

Haro you should learn to grow on and appreciate American cars...LINK...Nothing like some motorcity muscle...lol