S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof drains "crushed"

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Which pillars are the drain lines in?

Today I drove the car and noted that the drivers seatbelt was damp when I pulled it out of the pillar.

Last edited by Toller; 12-17-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Eric, it appears that the front drainlines run through the "A" pillars, not the "B" pillars where the seatbelt is located. The rear drainlines are definitely located in the "C" pillar and run through the trunk. Are you aware of the moon roof weather strip may be a possible cause to the leak as well. I'd check with Jaguar. My source does say it is a replaceable part.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:28 AM

I thought it was the A and C pillars too from looking at it and have often wondered how a drain line in the C pillar was soaking the carpet in the footwell behind the driver's seat. I'll bring up the issue of the weatherstrip as well. Thanks.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:54 AM

Can someone give me an idea of the shop time to replace both front and rear drains? The svs mgr scheduled me for 2-3 hours.

Eric

Old 03-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Default ALLDATA infop on Roof Drains

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ELP/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ELP/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ELP/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ELP/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]This also came from a Jag tech:

You need to remove the rear C pillar trim and the rear grab handles. Then you can lower the headliner in the corners to pull off the hoses on the track to blow them out. On that pillar there are tethers that will need to be replaced or at least a new plastic rivet will need to be installed.

see attachment

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rear drains.pdf (190.7 KB, 234 views)
Old 03-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Default Front Drain

see attachment

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
front drain.pdf (136.3 KB, 208 views)
Old 03-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to share my similar but different experience... the fabric on my passenger side A pillar would get damp if the car was out in the rain. I popped the A-pillar cover off (also had to pull the visor and grab handle off) and was able to pull down the headliner just enough to notice that the drain hose was completely disconnected from the drain fitting of the moonroof. No idea how it happened, but I was able to reconnect it and now no problems. Weird.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:11 PM

I note that I never closed out the story.

The dealership replaced the drains and home I went.

Next rainstorm, water was in the footwell behind the driver's seat.

Back I went....really P.O.ed. Left the car and drove a loaner. Second day later they called and reported what they had found....a leak in seal at the bottom left corner of the windshield. The glass shop fixed it at dealer expense and we've had no problem since.

Eric

Old 03-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the update as it could be useful to others with similar problems and hope you feel safer parking in the rain now
John

Old 03-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 1,878 Posts

This is a very common problem with the Lincoln LS. Both front drain hoses came off my wife’s 2003 LS. I would recommend adding a clamp on the nipple. It looks like temperature and time cause the drain hose to shrink slightly. I have attached a picture of the LS drain tubes. They look identical to the Jaguar in color and position.

Attached Thumbnails Roof drains "crushed"-sunroof-drain-unhooked.jpg  
Old 03-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Default Rear Moonroof Drains Ptocedure

You need to remove the rear C pillar trim and the rear grab handles. Then you can lower the headliner in the corners to pull off the hoses on the track to blow them out. On that pillar there are tethers that will need to be replaced or at least a new plastic rivet will need to be installed.

Lower the rear corner of the headliner and you will see the rubber hoses coming off the back of each side of the track. Pull off those hoses to blow them out.

It is about 20 minutes per side

pdf illustraions attached.

Tom
Dallas

S-Type 2005, 3.0

Old 03-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I know our petrol in UK is dear, but some of the labor costs of car-work over there in US seem astronomical! Is it really that bad?
Leedsman.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Leedsman
I know our petrol in UK is dear, but some of the labor costs of car-work over there in US seem astronomical! Is it really that bad?
Leedsman.
Remember that the Jaguar is even more of an exotic here in North America as opposed to just the premium domestic it is in the UK. It is not as expensive to have a work done on a Cadillac or Lincoln here. One example...All the chain auto parts stores in the greater Akron area DO NOT stock any filters for the S-Type beyond an oil filter. I have to order anything else I may need....Go figure...

Old 03-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Default What Makes Sense about this leak

I have not had time to do the necessary work and frankly I cannot make heads or tails of this. I originally noticed the problem last year when i was washing the car and it now is worse. I am getting a damp or wet mat and carpet behind the drivers seat. I have looked over every diagram of these drain hoses and it does not seem to make sense that running through the c- pillar would cause a damp carpet behind the driver seat.

Does that make sense and I am just dumb about water flow in these situations.

Or could the leak be occurring from a drain hose coming off the sunroof's rear drain plug?

My c-pillar and b-pillar show no sign of wetness or dampness. I have yet to take off the rear door trim panel and try to see if there is evidence of a leak.

Any ideas or suggestion, but I will say it is getting worse.

I never use the moonroof- have had it open maybe a dozen times and have driven with it open - probably a total of 5 minutes. I never use and wish i did not have one. There are very few leaves, where I am- no pine needles and this car is washed at least once if not twice a week and looks new to everyone- so I could not imagine it getting clogged. the only reason i opened the sunroof anyway was to clean out any dust (only usually) or dirt that i could see. So does the drain hose make sense or is there another source i should consider, I read the post about the seal of the windshield. Any suggestion about test that- other then to take a hose and spray water on the area and see if it leaks.

The path of the water, by seeing what is wet coming into the area behind the driver, appears to come from the back left corner of that area- but that could be the door or coming from the bottom of the c-pillar, but I can imagine it would not be wet in the trunk and it is not.

I thank you in advance for any brainstorming on this- as you all appear to have great car and common sense. I will add tat when I open the back door while it is raining or after washinh the car, I noitce a a few very large 9bigger than drops) of water standing on the plastic that holds the carpet in and where the door fits over ( if that makes sense- sorry, i am not familiar with auto lingo)

Thanks

Tom in Dallas

2005 S-Type (40K miles.

Last edited by jazzwineman; 03-24-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:31 PM

Tom-

Did you see the message I posted with the last day or two on what was done to solve my problem?

We had the same symptom you have, water in the footwell behind the driver's seat.

Four roof drains replaced. However, next rainstorm we had the puddle again. The dealer finally found that we had a broken seal in the area of the lower left corner of the windshield. Water entered there, flowed down behind the kick panel and into the channel under the trim on the driver door jam and then into the footwell.

Sounds bizarre but....since the windshield shop fixed it, no further leaks and we've had a devilish storms in the past month.

Eric

Old 03-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Toller
Tom-

Did you see the message I posted with the last day or two on what was done to solve my problem?

We had the same symptom you have, water in the footwell behind the driver's seat.

Four roof drains replaced. However, next rainstorm we had the puddle again. The dealer finally found that we had a broken seal in the area of the lower left corner of the windshield. Water entered there, flowed down behind the kick panel and into the channel under the trim on the driver door jam and then into the footwell.

Sounds bizarre but....since the windshield shop fixed it, no further leaks and we've had a devilish storms in the past month.

Eric

Eric:

Thanks for your response. I did note in my question about your post on the windshield seal- so I thank you for discussing this-as it made me think about the options and therefore my long winded question.

Did you see any water that did a small amount of pooling on the plastic that was on top of the foot well under the bottom of the doer when you would get the wet foot well? How much water were you getting and did it increase or stay the same wit the passage of time?

Old 03-25-2010, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

I've learned over the past two decades that interior water leaks can be a bear to trace. Once water finds its way through the seals, it can wick and travel in ways that you wouldn't think are possible, and sometimes it does not leave a trace of its path which makes it even harder to find and fix....

Don't assume that because you don't park in an area with falling leaves or pine needles, your moonroof drains will never get clogged. Pollen, windblown debris, road grime, and other factors all build up over time and can clog those drains over the years. Enough dust, pollen, and grime can get washed through your drains that eventually they will clog. And don't forget that in some cases recently, folks have discovered that their drain lines have aged, weakened, and become disconnected from the nipples or tubes in the roof. Going in through the headliner and re-attaching these drain lines using a clamp solved the problem in those cases....

It may indeed be a leak in one of the corner seals in your windshield. But it could be your moonroof drain lines as well. And from your description of finding water near the back door carpet when you open that door after a recent rainfall or washing the car, it could also be your door seals....

Over the past 20 years, the three interior water leaks on three different makes and models of vehicles that I've had to find and fix were all eventually traced to clogged moonroof drains. So I always start there. Good luck and keep us posted....

Old 03-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
I've learned over the past two decades that interior water leaks can be a bear to trace. Once water finds its way through the seals, it can wick and travel in ways that you wouldn't think are possible, and sometimes it does not leave a trace of its path which makes it even harder to find and fix....

Don't assume that because you don't park in an area with falling leaves or pine needles, your moonroof drains will never get clogged. Pollen, windblown debris, road grime, and other factors all build up over time and can clog those drains over the years. Enough dust, pollen, and grime can get washed through your drains that eventually they will clog. And don't forget that in some cases recently, folks have discovered that their drain lines have aged, weakened, and become disconnected from the nipples or tubes in the roof. Going in through the headliner and re-attaching these drain lines using a clamp solved the problem in those cases....

It may indeed be a leak in one of the corner seals in your windshield. But it could be your moonroof drain lines as well. And from your description of finding water near the back door carpet when you open that door after a recent rainfall or washing the car, it could also be your door seals....

Over the past 20 years, the three interior water leaks on three different makes and models of vehicles that I've had to find and fix were all eventually traced to clogged moonroof drains. So I always start there. Good luck and keep us posted....

I am listening intently.

Does the door not have weep holes that might preclude drainage into the car.? The rubber seals and weatherstripping are in brand new type condition. I have check each thoroughly and there are no marks , indentures, cracks, tears, ect. I am going to do a quick test toady and put water on just the outside of the door and glass and see if i get any small amount of water pooling as I normally do on the trim above the footwell. if that is the case, that would put it at the door and glass. next step is to take off the door trim panel and see what is to be had. I still cannot imagine that the moonroff drain tubes are causing a specific leak of this nature. the description that Toller described "The dealer finally found that we had a broken seal in the area of the lower left corner of the windshield. Water entered there, flowed down behind the kick panel and into the channel under the trim on the driver door jam and then into the footwell" is exactly the what mine s doing. I put my fingers and hand under the kick panel in that area and can feel a line of water and then dry carpet. I cannot imagine that the drains are clogged and leaking in that area and not causing some sign of moisture on the headline and someone from the top to the bottom of the C-pillar or behind the rear seat or in the trunk and that is all dry.

Now bear in mind I am a novice at this ad can be completely wrong, but just trying to use my limited auto common sense.

Thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Old 03-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

If your scenario follows Toller's to the letter, then go ahead and get the left lower corner of your windshield re-sealed. Should be relatively inexpensive. Your insurance policy may even cover that for you if you have a zero or low deductible for Comprehensive coverage and you use their preferred glass company. Plus, that glass company could check that corner for you in a heartbeat to determine if that is indeed the source....

I think your next move is to call your insurance company and see what they will do for you. Remind them that it is far less costly to re-seal a windshield than it is to replace one....

Old 03-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
If your scenario follows Toller's to the letter, then go ahead and get the left lower corner of your windshield re-sealed. Should be relatively inexpensive. Your insurance policy may even cover that for you if you have a zero or low deductible for Comprehensive coverage and you use their preferred glass company. Plus, that glass company could check that corner for you in a heartbeat to determine if that is indeed the source....

I think your next move is to call your insurance company and see what they will do for you. Remind them that it is far less costly to re-seal a windshield than it is to replace one....
That may be the next move. First is to go and see if the door leaks when I only put water in that area. Let me ask again. are there weep holes that should drain off something like this?

Tom

Quick Reply: Roof drains "crushed"