S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof drains "crushed"

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak in rear left door

Ok Tom, so heres where i'm holding as for ALL(2) the leaks.
I followed the diagrams you posted and they were great, I opened the c-panel reached in to the roof disconnected the drain pipe which was indeed clogged. I used an air pump to clear the pipe which worked but then after five minutes it was clogged again, but I figured it must be towards the end of the pipe. So i opened the rear back bumper and discovered problem #1. The end of the drain was hitting against the bumper which bent the drain downwards, causing it unable to drain.
I thought that was it, but by the next rain fall my car was wet again, and this time its the problem you had with the rear left door. While raining and im in the car I can see the water jump the weather strip and the bottom and flow into the car on the carpet and into the footwell. Problem is I cant figure out what is causing the water to jump the weather strip. All the holes are clear.
Did you manage to figure out what was wrong by you?
Could it be its leaking from the window into the door and out the bottom?
Or maybe there is a problem with one of the rubber strips, even though it seems the are all ok.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Default I know this one well

Originally Posted by yanktg
Ok Tom, so heres where i'm holding as for ALL(2) the leaks.
I followed the diagrams you posted and they were great, I opened the c-panel reached in to the roof disconnected the drain pipe which was indeed clogged. I used an air pump to clear the pipe which worked but then after five minutes it was clogged again, but I figured it must be towards the end of the pipe. So i opened the rear back bumper and discovered problem #1. The end of the drain was hitting against the bumper which bent the drain downwards, causing it unable to drain.
I thought that was it, but by the next rain fall my car was wet again, and this time its the problem you had with the rear left door. While raining and im in the car I can see the water jump the weather strip and the bottom and flow into the car on the carpet and into the footwell. Problem is I cant figure out what is causing the water to jump the weather strip. All the holes are clear.
Did you manage to figure out what was wrong by you?
Could it be its leaking from the window into the door and out the bottom?
Or maybe there is a problem with one of the rubber strips, even though it seems the are all ok.

It is exactly the other issue I referred to.

Take off the door trim panel. You will see a gray foam type of sound proofing and water shield. It is fixed with a black butyl tape seal. You will proably see a water line as to where it is leaking from. You most likely have water leaking inside the door getting past the water shield. This shield is over the inside of the door and sometimes the water will leak past this.You need to remove the door panel to inspect the sealant on the water shield.
Usually the water will drip into the door and past that sealant. It only takes a very small gap for the water to leak past. People usually leave the door panel off then water test it with a hose looking for where the leak is, but you will probably have a water line that will show you. You can press everything more tightly together with the black goo or it will cost about $115 from the Jag Dealer to get a new one if it is ripped or torn. You will then take all the old black material off, I did it with a piece of sticky tape, clean it up and affix the new one.

Hope that helps.

Tom in Dallas

Old 05-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Default Take off the door trim panel

I'll go ahead and try.
Is it difficult to take off the door trim panel? Do you have instructions for that as well? And how about the black goo, do I have to purchase that as well? Can you please clarify?
Thank you very much for your time.

Jacob

Old 05-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jazzwineman
It is exactly the other issue I referred to.

Take off the door trim panel. You will see a gray foam type of sound proofing and water shield. It is fixed with a black butyl tape seal. You will proably see a water line as to where it is leaking from. You most likely have water leaking inside the door getting past the water shield. This shield is over the inside of the door and sometimes the water will leak past this.You need to remove the door panel to inspect the sealant on the water shield.
Usually the water will drip into the door and past that sealant. It only takes a very small gap for the water to leak past. People usually leave the door panel off then water test it with a hose looking for where the leak is, but you will probably have a water line that will show you. You can press everything more tightly together with the black goo or it will cost about $115 from the Jag Dealer to get a new one if it is ripped or torn. You will then take all the old black material off, I did it with a piece of sticky tape, clean it up and affix the new one.

Hope that helps.

Tom in Dallas

check the attachment, The black goo comes with the new shield. Where you just buy the black material is beyond me. I searched for quite a period of time and could not find.

Tom

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Document1.pdf (45.7 KB, 189 views)
Old 05-31-2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by jazzwineman
check the attachment, The black goo comes with the new shield. Where you just buy the black material is beyond me. I searched for quite a period of time and could not find.

Tom
Thank you very much for the attachment, as soon as I get a chance i'll go ahead and try, and will let you know how it goes.
Also correct me if I misunderstood:, I may not need a new shield if the black goo sticks, but if it doesnt stick than i'll probably have to get a a new shield with it. Correct?

Jacob

Old 05-31-2012, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you very much for the attachment, as soon as I get a chance i'll go ahead and try, and will let you know how it goes.
Also correct me if I misunderstood:, I may not need a new shield if the black goo sticks, but if it doesnt stick than i'll probably have to get a a new shield with it. Correct?

Jacob

The goo will stick to everything, so be careful. You will just need to see where the water/dirt line is and then you will know if it needs replacement. Could have a hole or rip in the places that water hits and a new one would be the only choice.

Tom

Old 05-31-2012, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Jacob
It really should take you about 5 minutes, at most, to get the door trim panel off. The plastic piece around the handle is a snap off, the 2 screws in the arm rest are what they are and then just start on the upper or lower left or right corner of the door and pull off the panel. be careful when you do as there is a snap-in connection to your power window module that you will need to unplug and you don't want to pull it out. You might break some of the retaining plastic pieces when you pull off the panel, but you can match the right size at autozone or Oreilly. Jag will try and charge $8 a piece for them- terrible stealing. Just get one corner loose and then it it easy to go along the edge and just pull it off. You might try and put your hand or fingers in the space created by removing the little plastic piece around the handle and start at that point.

Let me know how it goes.

Tom