S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Room For 1 More Sirius Question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Room For 1 More Sirius Question?

For the past few days I've been pouring through the S-Type Sirius posts to determine the best way to get satellite sound into my ride. There's a lot of good information available on this site, almost overwhelming. I have the stock head unit with navigation and I'm not interested, at this time, in swapping in a complete aftermarket system. I believe the set up that's most appealing to me is injecting the signal via an inline antenna adapter. I've picked up that the receiver I need is C2C 31222 and the install/trim kit is XR8 54310. My question is this, is this receiver/trim kit still commercially available and if so who is the current preferred supplier (best bang for the buck)? I asked my local dealer and really didn't get a definitive response except that they don't do them in house. I've done several internet engine searches for those part numbers and I'm getting the sense they may not be in production any longer. I've got reasonably decent aftermarket stereo install skills so all I really need are the components. Appologies if this question has been asked recently and I overlooked it.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:43 AM

I think I've got my answer as concerns those components. I'm guessing it's safe to assume I will now likely only find those items used or NOS on e-bay or such. Are there currently any other flush mount / unobtrusive means of bringing satellite radio into our vehicles, not involving a cradle and portable unit sticking out like an extra appendage? My preference would be for something kind of stealth and permanently mounted, (that doesn't involve gutting my existing nav/radio). You folks are great, appreciate any input you care to share.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Mine is suction cup mounted on a cradle next to the A-pillar. Doesn't obstruct my view, and I like it better than a vent mount. Not ideal, but since i switch my Sirius Sportster 5 in between 4 different cars, my office, and my house, it makes it easier to grab and go.

I did the in-line antenna adapter installation. Really not too difficult. Just popped off the trim surrounding the head unit (I have the Nav system), 4 torx head bolts. I put masking tape over the ashtray cover so as to try to prevent scratches. Also pop off the trim around the shifter, and remove the center console (2 small torx screws) just to get everything off. Cover the shifter area with soft towels to prevent scratches. It does help at some point to put the shifter in N or D to allow for more room to pull the headunit out farther.

I also wired in an iSimple Tranzit connect AUX input that will take a 3.5mm jack. Also hacked inline with the antenna the same as the Sirius. So I can switch between iPod, Sirius, and the factory CD, CDC, and radio.

Oh, and I wired up an extra 12v power port under the dash, behind the hood release lever, to supply power to the Sirius unit, so I have no need for having the ashtray open and still have the port in the console available for phone charging.

I ran the Sirius antenna along the door sills, and it is velcro'd to the rear decklid inside the car. Reception is fine.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

The following users liked this post:
PantheraOncaSTR (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by PantheraOncaSTR
I think I've got my answer as concerns those components. I'm guessing it's safe to assume I will now likely only find those items used or NOS on e-bay or such. Are there currently any other flush mount / unobtrusive means of bringing satellite radio into our vehicles, not involving a cradle and portable unit sticking out like an extra appendage? My preference would be for something kind of stealth and permanently mounted, (that doesn't involve gutting my existing nav/radio). You folks are great, appreciate any input you care to share.
Hmmm... PM me and talk me out of my Jaguar system that I still have. I was going to try and retro-fit it to the Caravan but the wife is not interested. I was going to do it since I bought it aftermarket, it seems to have a lifetime subscription, meaning, it was active when I got it and stayed active for the two years I ran it. No guarantee that it still is. I gave the ashtray mounting plate away to a user here after trading in the car. I actually mounted the control unit just under the gauge cluster with double sided tape since I missed the wood ashtray.

It is a pretty straight forward system to install. The FM antenna adapter works pretty good. It is strong enough and provides decent sound if you don't want to gut the factory set up.

This is an older posting for the same system, including a picture.. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...sh-tray-30460/

Last edited by JOsworth; 03-12-2012 at 12:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PantheraOncaSTR (03-24-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 06:12 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Here is the install if anyone is interested how the Jaguar Sirius set-up works / installs...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sat_Radio_Install.pdf (1.98 MB, 189 views)
Old 03-24-2012, 05:40 PM

Thanks to Jeff giving me an excellent deal on his Sirius kit I now have almost everything I need to begin enjoying satellite radio in the STR. The kit only lacks the ashtray cover necessary to mount the controller. Jeff and I had discussed alternate locations for the controller which I have played around with. Just decided today that I really want to go ahead and put it in the intended location for the cleanest look. Does anyone out there have one of these covers they'd be willing to part with or know where I could get one? Thanks.