S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotors/Pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rotors/Pads

I'd like to give a slight upgrade to my front brakes and was wondering if you guys lean toward a particular combo. I've had factory Brembos on my Cobra in the past, but the OEM replacement slugs they sell for daily drivers are not quite up to the degree of their price tag. I'm leaning toward EBC rotors and EBC red stuff pads (gotta go British, right?). I've used this combo on my TL and have been very happy (no hub rust). I've also used ATE's in the past with great results. Your thoughts?

Old 11-30-2011, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Big fan of the Akebono ceramics on my STR. Almost no dust, very good stopping power, no noise. Can't recommend a rotor for your car as we don't have the same setup. I've used EBC rotors many times and have no complaints though.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Multiple tests have shown that blank rotors outperform drilled/slotted/dimpled from a cold stop (most likely on a street setup)...When racing while the rotors usually remain hot, some setups may benefit from drilled/slotted/dimpled...So if you're looking for more bite on a street setup and are spending the big bucks on drilled/slotted/dimpled understand you could be wasting your money...I needed new rotors and went with a drilled/slotted setup for the soul reason of bling (and the fact they weren't too much more than OEM)

Last edited by Bacardi 151; 11-30-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacardi 151
Multiple tests have shown that blank rotors outperform drilled/slotted/dimpled from a cold stop (most likely on a street setup)...When racing while the rotors usually remain hot, some setups may benefit from drilled/slotted/dimpled...So if you're looking for more bite on a street setup and are spending the big bucks on drilled/slotted/dimpled understand you could be waiting your money...I needed new rotors and went with a drilled/slotted setup for the soul reason of bling (and the fact they weren't too much more than OEM)
which I think means 'I agree'.

Slotted and drilled are pure bling- nothing to do with improved stopping power on the street. What works on some cars on the race track doesn't inherently apply to street cars in traffic.

I put Raybestos brand rotors and ceramic pads on my non-R and couldn't be happier.