S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotten/ hardboiled egg smell at high speeds

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rotten/ hardboiled egg smell under hard acceleration

Hey all, I was driving home from work and decided to have a bit of fun with my jag. Got her up to 110 and noticed this hardboiled egg smell. At first I thought it might just be the air out side or the old chevy truck that I zipped passed. I was curious so I took her out again and did about 115 before the powerful growl of the engine and being pulled into the driver seat and possible cop cruiser standing by scared me lol damn this thing is fast. Surley enough there was that smell of hardboiled eggs. I've taken the jag out for sprints before and this is the first time I've smelled this. what could It be? Car battery? I opened the trunk and thought I could smell a hint of it but kind of hard whith the heavy smell of the ruber from the spare tire. I poped the hood and cant make out the smell so I know it's not there. It only smells when I stomp on the gas and get to high speeds, WTF? Note: ac was not on at the time.

Last edited by DavidRey; 10-21-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That smell is from your cat's the smell is normal some times when you bet on your car. That smell is from the fuel that is being burnt off in the cat's. But if you smell it every day it could be that you cat’s are going bad to or needs a tune up. If you have a misfire it can smell like it to because your cats are working twice as hard to brunt up the un-brunt fuel in the exhaust.

I had an issue of egg small for a month when I would bet on my car. I did also see my car was getting bad MPG and a little engine shake. So I installed new motorcraft spark plugs they always work the best on ford engines like the 3.0 jag.. I had the NGK one's in there, they only lasted about 35k I put the new motorcraft plugs in no egg smell better MPG and engine runs better. Just my two cents

Old 10-19-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by bobby181
That smell is from your cat's the smell is normal some times when you bet on your car. That smell is from the fuel that is being burnt off in the cat's. But if you smell it every day it could be that you cat’s are going bad to or needs a tune up. If you have a misfire it can smell like it to because your cats are working twice as hard to brunt up the un-brunt fuel in the exhaust.

I had an issue of egg small for a month when I would bet on my car. I did also see my car was getting bad MPG and a little engine shake. So I installed new motorcraft spark plugs they always work the best on ford engines like the 3.0 jag.. I had the NGK one's in there, they only lasted about 35k I put the new motorcraft plugs in no egg smell better MPG and engine runs better. Just my two cents
Hmmm... hope thats the case with me. at first I thought my transmission might be burning or some thing. The transmission on this car doesn't strike me right especially when coming to a complete stop it doesn't down shift smoothly, you can actually feel it jerk the car back due to "engine breaking" while shifting down it's very annoying!!!! This is the only thing I hate about my car.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

David, as bobby wrote, the cats will emit sulfur dioxide (rotten egg) during higher than normal cat fuel burn-off, especially when under a load during hill climbs. Keep us posted if this continues or becomes more evident. The trans. shift quality you described is germain to ZF trans. in Jags, AKA "The Lurch".

Old 10-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Which of the 2 cars do you mean?

Old 10-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

have a bit of fun with my jag. Got her up to 110 and noticed this hardboiled egg smell. I was curious so I took her out again and did about 115 before the powerful growl of the engine and being pulled into the driver seat and possible cop cruiser standing by scared me lol damn this thing is fast. Surley enough there was that smell of hardboiled eggs.

My advice - change your diet and munch some beta blockers ........
no fear = no strange smells

Old 10-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

ray, LOL! Too funny.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
David, as bobby wrote, the cats will emit sulfur dioxide (rotten egg) during higher than normal cat fuel burn-off, especially when under a load during hill climbs. Keep us posted if this continues or becomes more evident. The trans. shift quality you described is germain to ZF trans. in Jags, AKA "The Lurch".
So this is normal then right? I know the 03 has the lurch issue but I'm talking about my STR. I heard BMW have this as well since they use the same ZF built transmissions.

Last edited by DavidRey; 10-19-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Which of the 2 cars do you mean?
My STR.

Last edited by DavidRey; 10-19-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by raygin
have a bit of fun with my jag. Got her up to 110 and noticed this hardboiled egg smell. I was curious so I took her out again and did about 115 before the powerful growl of the engine and being pulled into the driver seat and possible cop cruiser standing by scared me lol damn this thing is fast. Surley enough there was that smell of hardboiled eggs.

My advice - change your diet and munch some beta blockers ........
no fear = no strange smells
lol maybe it's what I ate earlier for lunch... that damn taco bell...

P.S. Im pissed, just found out that select edition warranty doesn't cover maintenance expenses so know I gotta drop a bill just to have the oil changed wtf... these ppl are on crystalmeth...

Last edited by DavidRey; 10-19-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

The Lurch can be fixed with fluid changes and TCM clearing. Have you serviced the ZF transmission yet?

Old 10-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

I'd check first whether the engine's running right, since if it's not you can expect trans issues.

Start by checking all OBD monitors are Complete, then that it runs CL (closed loop) and then watch fuel trims at idle & 2500rpm.

All you need is a cheap OBD tool (lots of threads about them) and time.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:14 PM

I was making my way back home after having my car serviced, I remember I was going up a hill and there was that smell again I've never had this smell problem before, could the colder weather be a cause? soon after that I was comming to a stop light and the idiot infront of me slammed his brakes so I slammed mine to avoid hitting them as I was sitting there I looked down at the instrument cluster and the check engine light was on and then the car stalled. fired up the engine again and the check engine light was gone. I'm curious to what the code was for the CEL would I be able to get the code with a scan tool even though the CEL is gone? I don't own one so I'll have to go to autozone.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
I'd check first whether the engine's running right, since if it's not you can expect trans issues.

Start by checking all OBD monitors are Complete, then that it runs CL (closed loop) and then watch fuel trims at idle & 2500rpm.

All you need is a cheap OBD tool (lots of threads about them) and time.
which ones would you recomend that are affordable and work just as well as the high end ones? Im sure I won't understand a damn thing on it but i'll just post up the info in this site and some one will tell me.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:34 AM
Veteran Member

elm327 USB very cheap $12-25

Codes remain stored for a long time unless you disconnect battery (don't).

Now you KNOW you have a fault!

Old 10-21-2011, 02:18 PM

I have a metalic taping noise comming from the front muffler in the R I noticed it when I steped out while it was parked and idling, backed it up on a hill so I can have enough room to slide under with my steth, at first I thought it might be a loose O2 sensor or maybe a loose clamp, Won't be able to tell till if cools down, listened along both exhausts from the cats going back and the pitch of the noise seems to be originating from the muffler. The noise can be heard along the whole driver side exhaust but is the most noticable in this area. Any Ideas what this could be? By the way I ordered the elm327 off ebay hope it gets hear soon so I can pull up that CEL code. Took it to advance autoparts and they said that if there wasn't a CEL on the dash then it wouldn't pull any codes, so I gotta wait for mine to get here.

Last edited by DavidRey; 10-21-2011 at 05:20 PM.