S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough day on the project

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Rough day on the project

I thought I really had it made when I got all the paint done and things were coming together. But I'm used to building simpler stuff where you plug it together and things work. So here's what I got.

Bigest problem is the airbag light. It's still on but flashing 17 this time. Anyone know what that is?

Right headlight highbeam won't light and the left looks kinda dim to me. I looked and looked for a cut wire but can't see anything. And yes I put a new bulb in but no dice.

Somewhere along the line the engine light came on. No idea what that's about. Maybe it don't like me unhooking the battery so many times?

After reinstalling the airbag module & center stack, the radio don't work. CD does but radio is like no antena. Maybe I missed a plug somewhere.

There has never been a car that reminded me so much of my MG. I did everything 2-3 times on it too when puting it together.

Time for a shot of Crown Royal.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Received 8,138 Likes on 4,910 Posts

DTC
B2291

RCM Advanced restraint system Passenger spatial sensing (Occupancy Position)
CAN circuit fault
Flash code 17

Possible Causes
Passenger spatial sensing CAN circuit fault
Passenger spatial sensor(s) circuit(s) fault
Test using WDS

I uploaded the Body DTC Guide

See page 22

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
B2002.5_X200.pdf (86.3 KB, 1023 views)
Old 05-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodyman
I thought I really had it made when I got all the paint done and things were coming together. But I'm used to building simpler stuff where you plug it together and things work. So here's what I got.

Bigest problem is the airbag light. It's still on but flashing 17 this time. Anyone know what that is?

Right headlight highbeam won't light and the left looks kinda dim to me. I looked and looked for a cut wire but can't see anything. And yes I put a new bulb in but no dice.

Somewhere along the line the engine light came on. No idea what that's about. Maybe it don't like me unhooking the battery so many times?

After reinstalling the airbag module & center stack, the radio don't work. CD does but radio is like no antena. Maybe I missed a plug somewhere.

There has never been a car that reminded me so much of my MG. I did everything 2-3 times on it too when puting it together.

Time for a shot of Crown Royal.
let me know if you need any help, im not far from you. Sometimes its good to have an extra set of eyes and hands.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:40 AM

Thanks, So what is a WDS?

The people that did the module & belts for me sent a general list of possibilitys. They mentioned having the passenger seat sensor recalibrated using an OPDS Diagnostic Tool. Whatever that is. But that is for the weight sensor. This is saying some sort of space sensor?

I've worked on SRS systems many times in the past but this one is way over my head it seems.

Oh one thing I read on their list was somewhat encouraging. Hard crash codes are what they cleared. So the module was like new when I put it back in. What it has now is a soft code indicating a fault in the system. It should clear once the problem is fixed. When I saw the light, I had visions of having to send the module back again. Now to figure out what and how to fix the fault.

I unhooked the battery and put it on charge all night. It's a year old Jag replacement but I've been starting the car to move it around without running it. It was dead from sitting when I bought the car but seemed to hold OK once I charged it. I know low voltage will make these do weird things. I'm also going to borrow a code reader from the parts store to see what it says.

Last edited by Bodyman; 05-25-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Jim,

On the antenna (or no radio reception issue), there is a little square plug with a round connector that plugs into the back of the unit.

That's the antenna wire, Make sure that's connected. Looks like the green connector on this, but in our cars its black:

Jaguar Antenna Adapter FM Modulator Wire Set 2000-2008 on eBay!

Also make sure the two wire light gray plug that's clipped to the climate control unit's back is properly connected and seated. That's the airbag's proximity sensor.

They can be a bit of a pain to all get back in right.

Take care,

George

Old 05-25-2011, 08:19 AM

Thanks, I'll check those. At least I know how it comes apart now. I fixed the headlight issue. Blown fuse.

I had to connect the battery to move the gear lever back . That senor would have been unplugged then but the module was pluged in. I wonder if the module has stored that and it needs cleared. Myairbags guy says some cars have to be cleared with a dignostic tool??

On the engine light I got a P1699 and P1000.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, I'll check those. At least I know how it comes apart now. I fixed the headlight issue. Blown fuse.

I had to connect the battery to move the gear lever back . That senor would have been unplugged then but the module was pluged in. I wonder if the module has stored that and it needs cleared. Myairbags guy says some cars have to be cleared with a dignostic tool??

On the engine light I got a P1699 and P1000.
Double check ALL your connections.

With everything connected, disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour

Reconnect, and start the car.

The 1699 code is no big deal, also stored:

No bus data from climate control module means the PCI data bus isn't seeing any info from the climate control panel. All the modules (computers) in the van communicate over two wires called the PCI multiplex data bus. It acts just like the data bus on your home computer. The module in the climate control panel isn't communicating. Could be as simple as a loose connection on the panel. A common problem is overheated and melted connectors on the panel. Might try removing it and checking the connector.

We got the same code when we were doing Chris's stereo and had to start / move the car without the ccm in it to get it out of a sudden downpour and into one of my garage bays.

P1000 just means the readiness monitors aren't set.

The airbag module SHOULD reset.

Take care,

George

Old 05-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Received 8,138 Likes on 4,910 Posts

WDS is the Factory diagnostic computer that was used at the time. You will need PDU,WDS,IDS or Autoenginuity etc. to read C,B or U codes from the modules. A regular OBDII scanner will only read P codes.

I believe that the S-Type SRS module can be used for up to 5 airbag deployments before it needs to be replaced but most shops replace it after one deployment (liability??)

I found another TSB for you. This will help more than the DTC guide.

bob gauff

Attached Files
Old 05-25-2011, 09:18 AM

Well, I'm down to the air bag light. George, you were spot on about the radio. I had the ant connector on wrong. I found the sensor wire and it was connected. I unsnaped it and reconnected but still the light.

I cleared codes using the OBDII scan tool and the engine light is off. However the tool says there is still a code stored? I'm really thinking that the module stored the sensor fault cause I hooked the battery up with it unpluged but now it won't clear itself. I'll try unhooking the battery one more time.

Bob, the manual mentions clearing codes and cycling the ignition. I take it I would need one of the tools you mentioned to do that? Is that something a general repair shop would have?

Thanks for all the help so far. Only one light to go!

Old 05-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

Well, I'm down to the air bag light. George, you were spot on about the radio. I had the ant connector on wrong. I found the sensor wire and it was connected. I unsnaped it and reconnected but still the light.

I cleared codes using the OBDII scan tool and the engine light is off. However the tool says there is still a code stored? I'm really thinking that the module stored the sensor fault cause I hooked the battery up with it unpluged but now it won't clear itself. I'll try unhooking the battery one more time.

Bob, the manual mentions clearing codes and cycling the ignition. I take it I would need one of the tools you mentioned to do that? Is that something a general repair shop would have?

Thanks for all the help so far. Only one light to go!
You need an SRS code reset tool, but the system SHOULD reset after a certain number of ignition cycles. Are you still getting a code 17 from the airbag light?

There will still be a P1000 or a P1100 code stored in a Jaguar at all times, this is normal and not of any concern.

As far as the airbag code, a certain number of run cycles might clear it. I'm not 100% certain if the Jaguar system requires a forced clearing... My brother's snap-on ethos has SRS clearing capablities.

Maybe someone can chime in on whether or not the airbag system will clear the fault if the fault has been corrected.

Take care,

George

Old 05-25-2011, 10:50 AM

Yeah it's still there. Same flash..17.

I was looking for code tools but didn't find anything that said it would definitly work on a Jag. I'd be willing to bet this is very similar or the same as Ford uses. Some stuff under the seat had Delfi labels. Problem around here is soon as you say Jaguar, regular techs toss their hands up and wail.

Well at least the headlight is solved so I can continue putting the frt bumper cover & inner skirts on.

I'll stay tuned in case anyone comes up with something.

Thanks

Old 05-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah it's still there. Same flash..17.

I was looking for code tools but didn't find anything that said it would definitly work on a Jag. I'd be willing to bet this is very similar or the same as Ford uses. Some stuff under the seat had Delfi labels. Problem around here is soon as you say Jaguar, regular techs toss their hands up and wail.

Well at least the headlight is solved so I can continue putting the frt bumper cover & inner skirts on.

I'll stay tuned in case anyone comes up with something.

Thanks
It is but it isn't the same as ford stuff. You need one that can handle Jaguar / Land Rover. Let me ask my brother if his ethos can do it. Worse case scenario, we can fed-ex it back and forth.

Take care,

George

Old 05-25-2011, 11:05 AM

Thanks, I checked with the shop that does my wheel alignments. He has some sort of equipment but when I said Jaguar, he groaned. He ended up saying they would try but didn't know if they could get in. There's another local guy that does a lot of MB stuff. I'll see what he says.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
There will still be a P1000 or a P1100 code stored in a Jaguar at all times, this is normal and not of any concern.
Just a note: that's P1000 or P1111 (P1100 would indicate a fault).

Old 05-25-2011, 12:53 PM

I read on another forum, VW I think, sugested to remove both battery cables and touch together. Tried it and even clicked my heels three times but no dice.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Jim,

I was thinking about this on the ride home, and I seemed to remember that we did in fact start Chris's car with the CCM AND the airbag proximity sensor disconnected. We got the check engine light P1699 - ccm no data bus code, but we didn't get an airbag light, at least not one that stayed once everything was back together.

I think that something else in your SRS system might be damaged, and that in fact might be a legitimate code.

The Occupant proximity sensors include the following:

Two sensors in the seats basically weight sensors, my 5'2" mother is light enough to disable the passenger airbag depending on how she rests her weight on the seat - the seat belt buckles - separate wiring for the airbag controller (to tell it if the occupants are buckled up), as well as the two sensors in the roof / headliner.

Are the rear seat belts back in?

Take care,

George

Old 05-25-2011, 06:39 PM

Yeah, everything in and connected. I think it needs the diagnostics run at this point. Hopefully clearing the soft code and cycling the ignition will take care of it. If not it will at least pinpoint the problem.

Here's my take on it. Only thing deployed were the pretensioners. Those have been repaired and the module cleared. I used these guys before so I think they know what they are doing. I powered the system with one of the OPS sensors disconected (my bad) and that's the soft code it's flashing. Seems like quite a coincidence if that isn't the fault.

Unfortunately, it seems the only people with a compatible diagnostic tool seem to be the Jag dealer. At least around here. Nothing against that but I gotta tow this thing an hour away to the closest one.

The German car guy said he would stop by and have a crack with his tool but wasn't holding much hope of getting into the system.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:52 AM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Hello guy's sorry to jump in on your post but looks to be a couple of years ago you last posted replies, i have the exact issue SRS code 17 air bag lit after the 3 cycles of flashes. I do have the Jaguar dealer software SDD v128 and the code i get back is B2291-29 (it cannot be cleared using IDS if the fault exists), i'm at the stage now where i believe it's the OPS module that's bolted to the base of the RHS "A" pillar.
I'm really interested to know the outcome of your S type issue as it could be the same on my 2005MY XKR. Thanks