S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM Fluctuates only when driving Pls Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

JOsworth I just sent you an email..thanks again.

To everyone else JOsworth may come over today with a scan tool and try to help me out. I will post any info from that on here afterwards, and thanks to everyone for their help.

Also I was doing further research about this problem and found a post on here with what sounds to be a similar problem to mine. In that post some people believe the problem is related to TSB S307-14. I am not sure but this sounds very similar to what mine seems to be doing. Again I will post more after JOsworth stops by with his scan tool.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:23 PM

Thanks JOsworth for stopping by.

For everyone else. I checked for vacuum seals after JOsworth left and there does not appear to be any. The problem is the issue I reported did not occur when JOsworth was over inspecting the car, ans since I recently had messed with MAF we were unable to get any new codes as well.

However, the temperature today has been 81 degrees and I think that is part of the reason the problem did not occur. JOsworth and I both seem to think that the problem is the TSB S307-14 and it needs flashed. The temperature also seems to add to that hypothesis in my mind anyway based on other posts regarding the problem being affected by a temperature range as well. JOsworth is hooking me up with a name and number of the manager of the Cleveland Jaguar to have it inspected and reflashed. Thanks again JOsworth.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Jeff, it was extremely generous of you to go out of your way to help out cyber, even to make a house call,,,, (ummm I think I need an opinion on some center caps, can you swing by and take a look)?

cyber, the thanks in your posts are great to Jeff, although he is no longer a Jag owner (insert cough cough) there is a little button at the bottom right that says "Thanks" mouse over it in a post that he helped you on (a couple of times) and click! Even though most of us are modest, I know it would make me feel better!

I do hope that Solon Jag/LR will fix you up, and don't forget the donuts!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:56 PM

joycesjag already did, thanks.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberpanther
joycesjag already did, thanks.

good job! and no thank you

Old 04-11-2011, 04:45 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Jeff, it was extremely generous of you to go out of your way to help out cyber, even to make a house call,,,, (ummm I think I need an opinion on some center caps, can you swing by and take a look)?

cyber, the thanks in your posts are great to Jeff, although he is no longer a Jag owner (insert cough cough) there is a little button at the bottom right that says "Thanks" mouse over it in a post that he helped you on (a couple of times) and click! Even though most of us are modest, I know it would make me feel better!

I just bought a new set of center caps, they should look good when I have my wheels chromed. They come in red,green and black.

jaguar center cap wheel badge -BLACK - 4 NEW | eBay

Old 04-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

LOL... Well, I don't know if my visit warrants a great amount of thanks.

Beyond the following: Olivia let loose a really stinky diaper! Olivia stepped in a big mud puddle, then sat in it. I dropped one of the screws holding the MAF sensor and had to get new ones out of my trunk emergency kit.....

Murphy was out in full force. The only flaw that the car demonstrated was a slight rattle at start up..Nothing to worry about, it's that sound that I hear on many modern cars at initial start up. Other than that, it ran real smooth, and drove fine without a hiccup. That is why a reflash may be needed.

I did hook up the OBDII reader and just got a P1000, meaning that the system readiness monitors are not complete. It was stated that "messing with the MAF" a couple of days previous triggered the "check engine" light. So, that may be all it is.

When I inspected things, I noticed that the breather tube going into the intake hose was not fully seated. Also, the air box cover was not fully attached and the air filter was not fully seated, leaving large gaps. This is the reason I pulled the MAF and inspected it for any signs of dirt or damage.

Other than that, a quick look at things without tearing too much apart looked good. No signs of oil leaks or other issues... But an inspection with the covers off would be a good idea.

So, since a reflash wouldn't hurt, that is why I suggested I give Mike a call at Jaguar Solon. I feel it would be good to have them do one of their full vehicle inspections and a trans update... I look at it this way, it pretty much rules out the torque converter. That doesn't come and go.

Originally Posted by joycesjag
You know darn well that if we lived close, there would be more "mutual garage time"... Followed by CTS test drives....

Heck, Aidan would be in heaven...

Oh, and about those center caps.... I know exactly how they look on a Platinum S Type.. Post some pictures... They are really unusual / rare...

You're welcome. Lets see what kind of Punch List you get from Jaguar Solon.. We may have some things to do over at the Akron garage... Like I said, I'll be happy to show you the things I know since I truly believe that DIY drivers not only save a boat load of money.. You end up knowing your car better than anyone...

Last edited by JOsworth; 04-11-2011 at 06:31 AM. Reason: sounded like I dropped the screw in the intake...
Old 04-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

For everyone else. I checked for vacuum seals after JOsworth left and there does not appear to be any. The problem is the issue I reported did not occur when JOsworth was over inspecting the car, ans since I recently had messed with MAF we were unable to get any new codes as well.

However, the temperature today has been 81 degrees and I think that is part of the reason the problem did not occur. JOsworth and I both seem to think that the problem is the TSB S307-14 and it needs flashed. The temperature also seems to add to that hypothesis in my mind anyway based on other posts regarding the problem being affected by a temperature range as well. JOsworth is hooking me up with a name and number of the manager of the Cleveland Jaguar to have it inspected and reflashed. Thanks again JOsworth.
Bulletin S307-14 is a "Rest of World" bulletin not released in the US. Our version was S303-17 [correction S307-17, thanks Jagv8] in 2005. It was amended in 2007 and then replaced by JTB00040 in May of 2007. The US bulletins didn't use the word "surge", but it was understood that was part of the issue. The reflash, even the coded reflash has been helpful to a point, but the magnitude if your RPM jump [250 RPM], tells me that you will still have an issue after it is done. Because of the expense, we here always advise trying the reflash and adaption clear first, but unfortunately, we usually end up replacing a converter. Sometimes I hate doing it that way because some feel you are taking their money, and then telling them what's really wrong with the car. Luckily the reflash handles it sometimes, just not always.

Good luck!

Last edited by xjrguy; 04-12-2011 at 01:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (10-08-2013)
Old 04-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

xjrguy - are those the right TSBs? I have S303-17 as "Check Engine MIL/DTC P0341 And P0346 - V6 Engine - Repair Procedure" and JTB00040 (v5) as the Diesel only.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
xjrguy - are those the right TSBs? I have S303-17 as "Check Engine MIL/DTC P0341 And P0346 - V6 Engine - Repair Procedure" and JTB00040 (v5) as the Diesel only.
Well, gee, I'll have to investigate that a little further later....... I looked at ROW bulletins and maybe I wasn't thorough enough.

***OOPS! I type-o'd. It should be S307-17, my humble apologies!***

Here are the North American versions, along with the ROW bulleitn cyberpanther referred to. For some reason, they refused to use the word "surge" in the North American market, but we all knew that was also part of the issue.

Cheers,

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
S307-17am2.pdf (101.6 KB, 241 views)
JTB00040NAS2.pdf (96.0 KB, 246 views)
S307-14UK.pdf (44.2 KB, 191 views)

Last edited by xjrguy; 04-12-2011 at 01:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
JagV8 (04-12-2011), Jumpin' Jag Flash (10-09-2013)
Old 04-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

i know with my car, that the 250 rpm change while slightly hitting the acclerator was in fact my torque converter. No codes were stored either when that was going on. just saying.... i would have to go search for my posts about what it was doing. March/April of 2009 i do believe it was in.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

Steve - thanks!

edit: I "love" the way JTB00040 v2 is as posted and v5 is Diesel only. Makes sense to someone........

Last edited by JagV8; 04-12-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Hey no problem, shoot me an e-mail jeff03ex@yahoo.com . It's supposed to be warmer this weekend! We can look it over.. To be honest, I really think it's a bad sensor or something loose. We can hook my scan tool up and see if it shows anything.. Your other post about it being "better" then getting worse makes me think something is not sealed properly...

You just have to promise not to laugh at the fact that I have a Chrysler now... LOL
Ahem... You have a Mercedes w210 with A big American V8 and A mafia inspried body. Btw Jeff, how big are the trunks on those things?

Take care,

George

Old 04-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by androulakis
Ahem... You have a Mercedes w210 with A big American V8 and A mafia inspried body. Btw Jeff, how big are the trunks on those things?

Take care,

George
Large enough for three "non payers".... LOL

Actually big enough that I can actually bring Olivia's super deluxe stroller with me... So, If you go in June you'll see it..

Old 04-14-2011, 06:28 PM

ARGH!!

I just went and washed my car and on the way home and I had to floor it as someone cut me off. When I did the RPMs went up to 6000 RPMS and when I released the gas the RPMs were not coming down (they were coming down very very slow) and the engine was reving heavily. Since the RPMs were coming down slowly I thought if I gave it a little more gas when the RPMS were around 5500 it might switch gears, but it did not and stayed in the same gear and the RPMs jumped back up to 6000 (no lights at all).

I do not have the money to take it the Jaguar dealer until the end of the month as I get paid monthly. Any ideas what this might be as it no longer seems like a simple reflash. Could it be the Torque Converter after all or something else?

Thanks again

Old 04-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

What happened about the various leaks / badly seated hoses / air box etc? A leak can look to the car a little like you have your foot on the gas. Also, what happened about the battery?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:44 PM

I checked for vacuum leaks and did not find any. Battery is original, and have not checked it yet.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Veteran member

Cyber: Don't panic! Sorry it took a while to jump back on this. Been a crazy week... Ends up Olivia's "stinky diaper" was only the beginning. The kids have been switching up being sick.. I hope your week has been better.

Talked to Mike today at Jaguar Cleveland... After they gave me crap for getting rid of my S Type, we talked about yours. They don't think it's anything more than a software update. They said to call them and set up an appointment. They promised to not rake you over the coals...LOL.

They went through some of the symptoms of the software issues that come up on these. The RPM fluctuation is one, another is not upshifting or downshifting when it should. Based on the limited seat time I spent in the car, I don't think you have anything more than that going on.

If you like, let me know if you want to stop by one evening and we can go for a drive out on Rt8 and see where it is shifting. My 05 every now and then would hold on to a gear when I'd really tromp on it, even after lifting. Again, these things can be temperamental and do some silly stuff. It took me a while after getting mine to be able to distinguish what is normal and what is an issue.

This forum and Jaguar Cleveland helped me the most. One of the great things (in my opinion) about Jaguar Cleveland is that they talk to you, not at you. They will explain why it does some of the things you are explaining. They will also tell you if there are things you should take care of on the car without scaring you into having them do it. They gave me a rough cost of doing a full inspection and software update.

So, send me a PM about getting together and we can talk about getting it looked at. I think you need to do it sooner than later, just to save your sanity. Oh, and stop reading to much into other threads (the one about the failed TCM). That has hardly happened to anyone with a 2003. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that a majority of people on here have had no problem getting their cars updated.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

One of the great things (in my opinion) about Jaguar Cleveland is that they talk to you, not at you.
Good to know, since I may be moving to the Akron area very soon.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

JOsworth you are a stand up guy!

Quick Reply: RPM Fluctuates only when driving Pls Help