S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Button

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S-Button

Can someone define what the button does and is it ON when the light is red or is it OFF?
I've searched but I can't find a clear explanation of this, even in the manual that came with the car.
Thanks,
Tim

Old 11-29-2011, 09:08 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

It has bean covered SEVERL time in this forum, so your seach skills may need some help? lol

But anyways it's on when the red light is on. It changes the shift points both up shifts, and down shifts, and line pressure in the tranny. On Sport model S-Types it also stiffens up the shocks... I think.

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (11-29-2011)
Old 11-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,539 Likes on 3,948 Posts

It influences the shift strategy. For details search on shift strategy in posts by xjrguy

The car anyway adapts to what it detects as your driving style - which means there is no single short answer. But, S=sport. Red means On. The revs will stay higher for longer and the car will shift in less time when you press the pedal. You'll burn a bit more gas.

If you drive it like you stole it, in time you'll swear S locks out 6th until about 90mph but that's not true. It's adapted and you can readapt it to show it's not true (if you care).

Putting Cruise on in effect overrides S, so if 6th is what the car prefers then it goes to 6 quickly, for example.

I think some of this is in handbook / JTIS but more is in the place xjrguy got it.

The following users liked this post:
Mexk8 (11-29-2011)
Old 11-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

It whips the hamsters faster.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:39 AM

My wife will swear that hitting the sport mode is like hitting N2O! lol (It's all about the shift points) Like JagV8 said it is very adaptive. When I first got the car I ONLY drove in sport mode, she only drove in normal. I got better MPG then her consistently. Due to it staying in the power band a bit longer = less throttle for normal acceleration. 6th gear would only be held to about 68mph.

After reading more on here, I now ONLY use the sport mode for WOT or very aggressive driving. She does the same. It is big difference in how the car shifts now. It'll down shift on deceleration keeping the R's up, (engine braking) and under light acceleration will not shift below 3k rpms less cruising for a few seconds. I never see the RPM's below 2k less stopped. I get HORIBLE MPG in sport mode now. lol But it makes the car fun to drive. 6th gear is held to about 82 under cruising.

Edit: It wont shift into 1st on deceleration less fully stopped, or accelerating at low speed. I don't like that, I wish it'd drop into 1st like it drops into all the other gears on deceleration.

Last edited by SchultzLD; 11-29-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

LOL - love it!!

Old 11-29-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by SchultzLD
It has bean covered SEVERL time in this forum, so your seach skills may need some help? lol

But anyways it's on when the red light is on. It changes the shift points both up shifts, and down shifts, and line pressure in the tranny. On Sport model S-Types it also stiffens up the shocks... I think.
SchultzLD This is what I got when I searched. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x.../?ref=esp-link

Last edited by JakRox; 11-29-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
It influences the shift strategy. For details search on shift strategy in posts by xjrguy

The car anyway adapts to what it detects as your driving style - which means there is no single short answer. But, S=sport. Red means On. The revs will stay higher for longer and the car will shift in less time when you press the pedal. You'll burn a bit more gas.

If you drive it like you stole it, in time you'll swear S locks out 6th until about 90mph but that's not true. It's adapted and you can readapt it to show it's not true (if you care).

Putting Cruise on in effect overrides S, so if 6th is what the car prefers then it goes to 6 quickly, for example.

I think some of this is in handbook / JTIS but more is in the place xjrguy got it.

Thanks for your reply. When you say the car is adaptive, how long a driving period does it take to adjust to your driving? I've only had the car a few months myself? Is there a way to reset that? I read somewhere you could undo the battery cables, but I have read enough on here to realize that's not always a smart thing to do for the electrical system either.
Tim

Old 11-29-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8

I did the search and read what xjrguy posted. Very informative and interesting to see the two points of view on what the button is actually controlling. Thanks for the lead.
Tim

Old 11-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

LOL! Schultz, Mike, and jagv8...you guys are too much, LOL!

Old 11-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Think of it this way...If you see the RED light on it has a two prong affect...It causes your face to turn RED with the adrenaline rush and it also puts your finances in the RED due to spending more on gas...

Old 11-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JakRox
Thanks for your reply. When you say the car is adaptive, how long a driving period does it take to adjust to your driving? I've only had the car a few months myself? Is there a way to reset that? I read somewhere you could undo the battery cables, but I have read enough on here to realize that's not always a smart thing to do for the electrical system either.
Tim
Main adaptions are in the gearbox and can only be cleared by dealer-type tool. It'll have learned what you do by now I expect.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by JakRox
SchultzLD This is what I got when I searched. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x.../?ref=esp-link
Ah, I see why you posted question then. lol But hopefully you got all the info now. These guys are very knowledgeable about Jags. I'm very mechanical, it's what I do. But without this forum, I knew nothing Jag specific.

BTW, you know how many times I've gotten a virtual poke in the eye for not using search? a LOT.

Didn't mean to come off rude, hard to type voice infliction and tone.

Edit: P.S., has anyone figured out how mechanically declined my Wife is yet? Mwahahaha…ops, don’t tell her I posted that…

Last edited by SchultzLD; 11-29-2011 at 01:45 PM.