S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

s button for transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s button for transmission

2003 stype r.. what charichtoristics actually are changed if you engage the sport mode??? i read that in sport it prevents the 6th gear overdrive? i dont seem to feel any difference in the shifts, or shift pattern??? ps: just got this car, its awesome... did 1.5 mina gallery pulley, low temp thermostat, flush cooling system, and custom paint the wheels with black on silver...

Old 03-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

6th gear eliminated, shift points are changed. Anything else? I'm unsure.

POST PICS!

Old 03-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

On mine it does NOT eliminate 6th. It makes the car (as with many/most autos) hang on to revs for a while and also hang on to gears, but it changes (apparently to where it would go in non-Sport) if you don't use the accelerator pedal for a while (just a few seconds).

Also, in S if you select CC it looks to go instantly to where it would go in non-S.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisSTR
6th gear eliminated, shift points are changed. Anything else? I'm unsure.

POST PICS!
it does not eliminate any gears...that makes no sense otherwise, if it did, , at highway speeds you would be in 5th pushing 2500 rpm in 5th.

Simply put, it holds more rpm between shifts then in non sport, and under more spirited acceleration it downshifts sooner, As we know, the str is inexplicably geared all crazy as if it were not a super sedan that should rev, so in non sport, under normal acceleration the trans shifts almost immediately out of first and into second as a fuel saving procedure...I hate it..so I never drve without sport mode on.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok I was corrected. I never cruise in 'S', so I assumed she stayed in 5th.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisSTR
Ok I was corrected. I never cruise in 'S', so I assumed she stayed in 5th.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Default please read last line

2003 Jaguar S-Type R

Bigger claws, sharper teeth, and, yes, softer fur
From the July, 2002 issue of Motor Trend
/ Photography by Chris Walton

|

With a soundtrack provided by the '03 S-Type R's supercharged 4.2L V-8, my co-driver and I spirited our way through mountainous, northeastern Spain. Just two weeks later, those very same treacherous roads would be crowded with thousands of WRC fans for the Rally of Catalunya, one of the season's most challenging venues.

Click to view Gallery

Looking, feeling, and even...

read full caption

Click to view Gallery

Looking, feeling, and even smelling more like a Jaguar (XJ sedan), the new S-Type's interior was completely redesigned for '03. Though the J-gate remains, it, too, has been dramatically improved.

This impressive 400-hp sedan produces lovely road music: a muted high-pitched aria from the Roots-type blower over the bass-drum beat of the twin exhaust tips. It's a memorable chorus that repeats with each imperceptible upshift of the car's new six-speed automatic transmission. At full or even part throttle, the S-Type R effortlessly wills itself down the road. A tabletop-flat torque curve, peaking at 408 lb-ft at a mere 3500 rpm, supplies this dynamic thrust. Then, there is the visceral and visual rush as the landscape goes sailing by like a soft-edged, French impressionist painting in motion. Royal acceleration -- Jaguar style.

Click to view Gallery

Power is at the root of R....

read full caption

Click to view Gallery

Power is at the root of R. Jaguar has stretched and blown its silky V-8 to 408 lb-ft of torque at 3500 rpm.

Visually, both '03 naturally aspirated S-Types, 3.0L (V-6) and 4.2L (V-8), plus the new supercharged 4.2L R model, may look only slightly different from their '02 counterparts. However, Jaguar says a substantive reengineering has changed or replaced roughly 70 percent of the models' content; there are some subtle exterior styling updates, as well. All S-Type engines benefit from variable-geometry induction plus now-continuously variable intake and exhaust valve timing. Meanwhile, V-8s (enlarged from 4.0L to 4.2L for '03) are further modified with new heads, pistons, and exhaust systems to improve breathing, sealing, and cooling characteristics. One can argue that the 4.2L AJ-V8 is all new, as nothing that moves within it -- or through which air, oil, or fuel passes -- is carried over. Only the 90° aluminum block remains the same.

The results of the '03 engine mods are a more responsive 3.0L V-6 with a flatter torque curve, and in the naturally aspirated 4.2L V-8, an increase of 19 hp to a nice round 300 with 310 lb-ft of torque. Stepping up to the class-leading, supercharged R version we drove nets another (even nicer) round number: 400 hp with 408 lb-ft of torque. Jaguar's humble claim that the R will accelerate 0-60 mph in 5.3 seconds is obviously conservative: Reviewing similarly powered and sized competitors, we predict the S-Type R will run a 5 flat, perhaps even quicker.

Keeping the R models' prodigious power in check are large four-piston calipers, courtesy of racing-brake supplier Brembo. They work in concert with 14.3-in. front vented discs and 12.9-in. solid rears. Though we find the pedal slightly soft on initial, gentle application, the ABS system, with its panic-assist braking, is tremendous and absolutely fade-free.

While the entire model range is available with a new, ultra-quick and mega-smart ZF six-speed automatic -- the same one found in the new BMW 745i -- the 3.0 comes standard with the Getrag five-speed manual. Unfortunately, still no stick shifts are available for the V-8 models. Automatic gear selection is controlled via Jaguar's hallmark good-news/bad-news J-gate shifter. It's still bad news if you disagree with those who think the J-gate is clever. Like a manual-shift gate's H pattern, the J pattern, by its design, informs a driver what gear he's selected simply by where his hand falls -- unlike a traditional, inline PRNDL. The good news is the lever's action itself has been drastically improved with more distinct, more positive, and progressively more resistant detents. Additionally, the new six-speed required reprogramming of the shift logic. In the R we drove, the new software produces better, more manual transmission-like gear holding in corners and up and down hills, and more recognizable downshifts when slowing for a bend or corner. Depressing the sport button excludes sixth gear (overdrive) and hastens the upshifts.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1FgsvT3a6

Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 PM

Keeping the R models' prodigious power in check are large four-piston calipers, courtesy of racing-brake supplier Brembo. They work in concert with 14.3-in. front vented discs and 12.9-in. solid rears. Though we find the pedal slightly soft on initial, gentle application, the ABS system, with its panic-assist braking, is tremendous and absolutely fade-free.

While the entire model range is available with a new, ultra-quick and mega-smart ZF six-speed automatic -- the same one found in the new BMW 745i -- the 3.0 comes standard with the Getrag five-speed manual. Unfortunately, still no stick shifts are available for the V-8 models. Automatic gear selection is controlled via Jaguar's hallmark good-news/bad-news J-gate shifter. It's still bad news if you disagree with those who think the J-gate is clever. Like a manual-shift gate's H pattern, the J pattern, by its design, informs a driver what gear he's selected simply by where his hand falls -- unlike a traditional, inline PRNDL. The good news is the lever's action itself has been drastically improved with more distinct, more positive, and progressively more resistant detents. Additionally, the new six-speed required reprogramming of the shift logic. In the R we drove, the new software produces better, more manual transmission-like gear holding in corners and up and down hills, and more recognizable downshifts when slowing for a bend or corner. Depressing the sport button excludes sixth gear (overdrive) and hastens the upshifts.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1Fgt9ehlL

Old 03-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Default reply

ive been trying to reply... says post will not be visible until a moderator checks??/ anyway google 2003 stype r reviews, bottom of 1st page states transmission wont shift into 6th gear in sport mode.....

Old 03-04-2011, 09:10 PM

oh yeah Motortrends review

Old 03-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fergs03R
it does not eliminate any gears...that makes no sense otherwise, if it did, , at highway speeds you would be in 5th pushing 2500 rpm in 5th.

Simply put, it holds more rpm between shifts then in non sport, and under more spirited acceleration it downshifts sooner, As we know, the str is inexplicably geared all crazy as if it were not a super sedan that should rev, so in non sport, under normal acceleration the trans shifts almost immediately out of first and into second as a fuel saving procedure...I hate it..so I never drive without sport mode on.
Would that have a long term issue with the transmission ?

Old 03-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

trans pulls to red line on full throttle, 500 rpm higher normal operation shift points and downshifts 2 gears at highway speeds instead of 1, giving much faster acceleration you really need when entering freeway or when you pull in front of someone inadvertantly and need to keep them from hitting you or pissin them off. Thats the big benefits, no issue with longevity, unless youre just weird about "oh my God I went above 2500rpm, Im gonna reduce my mileage and wear out the engine"

Old 03-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Doesn't it also stiffen up the suspension?

The following users liked this post:
James Finney (02-22-2020)
Old 03-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

no, how would it do that without Cats suspension? of which most do not have.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by carlorner
ive been trying to reply... says post will not be visible until a moderator checks??/ anyway google 2003 stype r reviews, bottom of 1st page states transmission wont shift into 6th gear in sport mode.....
Two of your posts were in moderated situation , I did approve them so they can be seen

Old 03-05-2011, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Either motortrend failed to experiment to see how Sport actually works or the software's been changed.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I use sport-mode in my 2.7D when warming up from cold, as there is a small fuel consumption advantage. I turn it off when the temp. needle is well off the left end-stop.
Leedsman.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Default ?????????????????????????????????

well whats the real deal?????? crappy weather here, cant experiment, this car is new to me,,, cmon elaberate......

Old 03-07-2011, 03:50 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Here is the requested elaboration:--

Selecting sport mode instructs the autobox to rev. a little more before changing up, among other things. This gets the engine revs. up to around 2000 at each change. This is near the max. torque fig. for the engine, and the max. torque fig. is fundamentally the most fuel-efficient revs. for any engine* (discounting other factors). Most engines are around 2000 to 2,500revs. in practice, unless designed for racing
Even Jaguar's software engineers think higher rev/change points are good when cold because one of the programs for the autobox control microprocessor raises the change points when the engine is cold, just been started. After 2mins. or so, this program is discontinued. Source; the owner's handbook, which also mentions faster warm-up.
Leedsman.
* The matter of fuel-efficiency, max. torque revs., is strongly influenced by valve timing. If it is fixed, as in my 2.7D., the timing has to be a bit of a compromize. The max. torque revs. then indicates the best timing for that fixed fig. If you have an engine with variable valve timing (and there are umpteen different design philosophies for VVT) the situation improves considerably. Then you can have exellent fuel-efficiency at quite low revs., benefitting eco-driving. But because the valve timing shifts at high revs., it's still more fuel-efficient when driven at high speed than a fixed jobbie. I like BMW's VVT, where the opening height of the inlet valve is used to control air intake instead of a butterfly throttle valve in the throttle body. This eliminates pumping losses around the throttle.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
Either motortrend failed to experiment to see how Sport actually works or the software's been changed.
I'd think the first....Not a big fan of Motor Trend....

As stated in here before... I used to run Sport Mode a lot. It just firms up and holds shifts..And down shifts more aggressively. It doesn't lock out 6th gear..Just waits a bit before engaging it..

Quick Reply: s button for transmission