S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S.O.S Crankshaft pulley bolt wont come out...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy S.O.S Crankshaft pulley bolt wont come out...

The car is a 2003 STR. It has been 3 days now, and the crankshaft pulley bolt won’t come loose... I've tried with a brand new impact gun (780lbs/torque). I even heat it up with a torch and prayed WD40 day and night and nothing. I'm extremely frustrated and nothing I've done has worked.

So I don’t know but maybe this bolt comes out clockwise and not counterclockwise like most standard bolts do?

Old 12-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea it is a PITA like no other! My friend w a XJR was doing a lower crank pulley swap and he tried and tried and tried......finally they took it to the shop he bought the crank pulley form and it took them over a day to get the bolt out.....
I want to say it comes out just like a normal bolt...not reverse thread......It is the ultimate PITA to do from what I heard......and I have not heard of any tricks to ake it easy other than to crank on it....no pun intended......

That is the main reason why I have not done the crank pulley swap......

Why are you taking yours off?

Old 12-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Jaguar used a retarded XX Ton press to push on the upper superchager pulley to keep guys like us to do a pulley swap......I can only imagine they tq'ed that bitch down retarded tight......I texted my buddy w the XJR to see if he has any help for ya....

Old 12-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

I had to remove a crank bolt from another car I used to have. Not sure how much room you have. It was a front wheel drive so I had to go out the wheel well. ButI bought about a 6 foot pipe and got a really good breaker bar with an impact socket. Slide the pipe over the breaker bar and put all my weight on it before I got it to finally come off. I used everything you have said you used and this was what finally worked for me. Its really just gonna be a matter of having enough room to get a big enough pipe to get the leverage you are gonna need.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
I had to remove a crank bolt from another car I used to have. Not sure how much room you have. It was a front wheel drive so I had to go out the wheel well. ButI bought about a 6 foot pipe and got a really good breaker bar with an impact socket. Slide the pipe over the breaker bar and put all my weight on it before I got it to finally come off. I used everything you have said you used and this was what finally worked for me. Its really just gonna be a matter of having enough room to get a big enough pipe to get the leverage you are gonna need.
What he said...

48" breaker bar with a pipe attached. Strong Impact socket.

Impact guns don't apply consistent torque. Their torque measurement is an average of all the impacts.

Have fun, and be careful.

George

Old 12-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

ive either used my ingersol rand, or a breaker bar with extension against the frame and the starter

Old 12-25-2010, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

My g-d? If the lower crank pulley bolt is that much of a SOB...that seals it. I'm doing a smaller upper pulley instead of a larger lower pulley.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
ive either used my ingersol rand, or a breaker bar with extension against the frame and the starter
Using the starter always freaks me out. I always think I have it backwards or not in the right spot. So I never have the guts to try that.

Yea every car I have ever pulled a crank from that bolt is majorly torqued on there. I did a buddies Honda for a timing belt and they make a special tool to stop the crank pulley then I did the same thing with a 6' pipe on a breaker bar and popped right off. Its been the only way I have ever gotten them off. Also on this car I snapped a regular socket in half doing it this way which is why I say use an impact socket.

Last edited by vance580; 12-25-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Just man up and wrench that bitch like no tomorrow he said

Old 12-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
My g-d? If the lower crank pulley bolt is that much of a SOB...that seals it. I'm doing a smaller upper pulley instead of a larger lower pulley.
the larger crank pulley is a better choice since the upper pulley needs a special tool and can lead to some slippage as less surface area. But that is normally worked around by using a Goodyear Gatorback that makes tighter turns. The pulley is not keyed but uses a slip collar so the bolt presses it on ahrd and locks. Couple that with alittle road grime and time and theyre fun
You can also use the engine drive belt looped around the pulley that will hold the engine when using a long breaker bar. 1 of the other Master tech does this and it works really well as the harder you turn the harder the belt bites and locks. He has some weird way he wraps it to work but it does work well. Just like those rubber belt deals for weak women(or men) that cant get stuck jars open in the kitchen, no diss if youre weak and use 1, getting older can do that

Old 12-26-2010, 01:53 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did the lower crank pulley on my STR, when I was taking it off I had no fan or radiators in front of it. I used a good size impact to take it off. After I installed the new bigger pulley which comes with a new crank bolt, I had to torque it down to 275-285 ft-lbs. It was a euro toys lower upper pulley upgrade.