S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type 2.7D EGR query

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 06:57 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts
Default S-Type 2.7D EGR query

After years of petrol engined Jaguars, I now have a 2.7D S-Type (2007 plate) which has opened up a whole new world to me..

I have been reading up, trying to get on top of the differences between what I am familiar with in the petrol world and the new world (for me) of diesel.

I clearly remember that when my X-Type was nearing the end of it's life I test drove a diesel engined X350 - over budget but if I liked it.. well anyway a mile into the test drive the engine management light lit and she went into limp mode.. the dealer took her directly to a local garage who deemed it as being the EGR valve. They offered to fix it and then still sell me the car but I was put off there and then and didn't proceed with the sale.

And now I have a Diesel powered S-Type lol.. I have been reading up on EGR valves and to be honest it looks like a simple device that just ports a percentage of the exhaust back into the intake to reduce the nitrous oxide levels in the exhaust - a side effect being that it reduces the temperature of the combustion and that produces more soot or particulate necesitating the DPF.. see I am getting the hang of this lol

Everywhere I look I see comments about EGR valves failing, and it is a known thing.. is there anything I can do to maintain it, watch out for, and specific symptoms of impending failure?

Unlike the DPF, the info out there about the EGR valve is all too generic for me to really size things up such as likelihood of failure, costs, and things I might be able to do to ensure a long life..

Old 06-15-2017, 04:49 PM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

I had to clean one on a bmw diesel which had ruined the throttle body. There was quarter Ich layer of carbon which had jammed the butterfly valve. If you keep an eye on it and make sure that the throttle body does not get full of carbon. You may be able to clean using a special solvent but I am not sure.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

I have the impression that the EGR valve doesn't fail very often on either the petrols or diesels but that diesel owners seem inclined to blank the EGR when it fails (an illegal act in the UK and EU) whereas petrol owners just replace the valve.

The diesel's turbos seem to fail more often but no-one blanks them off and I don't get why EGRs are treated the way it seems they are.