Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type 4.0 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S-Type overheating

Originally Posted by vf_jaguar
Thank you, but please, ... I am a mechanical engineer with 40 years of experience working on cars
Good for you!

Old 07-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Which parts have you tried replacing? Thermostat? ECT? DCCV? Which a/c sensors? What else that's coolant-related? If none at all then obviously it won't be fixed.

Please see my first post in this thread for what I have already done in attempt to fix the problem.

Before suggesting something obvious please try to explain how the defect you think causing the problem would comply with the fact that after the temperature hike car is capable of running perfectly in heavy traffic at 95 degree F for hours keeping engine temperature at nominal level? For detailed description of symptoms please read the first post of this thread or my first post.

Blown gasket, stuck thermostat, bed temperature sensor, clogged radiator, defective water pump, cracked expansion tank, and so on... are all permanent conditions that will not go away in 2 minutes. In two years I have this problem I tried almost everything. Now I can drain, fill and bleed cooling system with my eyes closed J

Old 07-01-2014, 11:01 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Please see my first post in this thread for what I have already done in attempt to fix the problem. Before suggesting something obvious please try to explain how the defect you think causing the problem would comply with the fact that after the temperature hike car is capable of running perfectly in heavy traffic at 95 degree F for hours keeping engine temperature at nominal level? For detailed description of symptoms please read the first post of this thread or my first post. Blown gasket, stuck thermostat, bed temperature sensor, clogged radiator, defective water pump, cracked expansion tank, and so on... are all permanent conditions that will not go away in 2 minutes. In two years I have this problem I tried almost everything. Now I can drain, fill and bleed cooling system with my eyes closed J
Good for you and lighten up!

Old 07-02-2014, 01:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,949 Posts

See my first post also, and the last one, from what I can see you've not given much of that info.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:57 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Thank you, but please, ... I am a mechanical engineer with 40 years of experience working on cars
Many of us here have similar backgrounds and experience. Big deal.

In the two other cases being discussed , the symptoms were similar if not identical if I am reading things correctly. The fix for both was replacing leaking head gaskets. What's not been discussed is why neither case seemed to experience loss of coolant either through boil over or consumption through the combustion chamber.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Many of us here have similar backgrounds and experience. Big deal.

In the two other cases being discussed , the symptoms were similar if not identical if I am reading things correctly. The fix for both was replacing leaking head gaskets. What's not been discussed is why neither case seemed to experience loss of coolant either through boil over or consumption through the combustion chamber.

I apologize if I offended anyone by disclosing my experience. I did not mean to brag it, just wanted to point out that advise to check coolant level does not make much sense at this level of technical discussion.

Back to our business –
I concur with you on the blown head gasket as possible cause to be questionable. Let’s assume exhaust gases found their way into cooling system through a microscopic hole in the head gasket. In the first 5 minutes of driving time it created an air plug that caused temperature hike. Then this air plug was pushed into expansion tank by circulating coolant though heater core and then purged out through cap/relief valve. So far so good. But from this moment logical chain of events fails to comply with the facts. How come this air bubble does not happen in the next 5 minutes, next hour, next 5 hours of driving? Climate control system is off, driving conditions are the same as at the beginning of the trip… I cannot explain that. Actually, it crossed my mind that it might happen only under condition when engine is cold. But then there are some days when temperature hike does not happen, and ones in a blue moon a day when I have a repeated occurrence of temperature hike when engine is still hot…? In addition, head gasket failure is not a defect that can remain for two years with no progress. It usually developers pretty fast and it take just a couple of days for the engine to go down.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,380 Likes on 2,861 Posts

vf_jaguar,

I was advising ElizabethE to check her coolant level and coolant components, not you. I'll go edit my post now to make certain that is clear....

Keep in mind that the majority of these threads do not revolve around just one participant in them. The stream-of-conciousness tendencies often are directed to a number of folks in the thread. Nothing wrong with that....

Last edited by Jon89; 07-03-2014 at 06:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-06-2016)
Old 07-03-2014, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
ElizabethE,

Keep in mind that blown head gaskets and warped heads are often caused by a low coolant situation. Check your coolant reservoir tank level at least weekly. It could be the most important 15 seconds you'll ever spend with your car....

I think this is excellent advice for anyone who is having apparent overheating issues with a car.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

6. Driving with thermostat removed for two weeks – fan was on at low RPM as expected but gage never moved from nominal ! Fault is gone when thermostat removed.

7. Thermostat replacement (again, just in case) – fault is back, no effect.
Binary result.

Replace the thermostat with a different thermostat. Not all are made equal even within a brand.

The factory thermostat by WaxStat has a larger opening and stroke as compared to the aftermarket units. One of the Gates/Napa numbers is actually a reboxed Waxstat as I have posted several times. They also sell a more generic version which is not as nice.

Another German thermostat has an even larger opening and stroke than the WaxStat.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
vf_jaguar,
Keep in mind that the majority of these threads do not revolve around just one participant in them. The stream-of-conciousness tendencies often are directed to a number of folks in the thread. Nothing wrong with that....

Oops, sorry, my mistake. I thought Jaguar forum thread “S-Type 4.0 overheating” has something to do with Jaguar S-Type 4.0 overheating

Old 07-03-2014, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by plums
Binary result.

Replace the thermostat with a different thermostat. Not all are made equal even within a brand.

The factory thermostat by WaxStat has a larger opening and stroke as compared to the aftermarket units. One of the Gates/Napa numbers is actually a reboxed Waxstat as I have posted several times. They also sell a more generic version which is not as nice.

Another German thermostat has an even larger opening and stroke than the WaxStat.

Thank you, useful information about thermostats.

I went through three thermostats from different sources including OEM from dealership. Boiled two of them to verify opening temperature and clearance. Came to conclusion: presence of a thermostat makes symptoms worth comparing to driving without a thermostat, but thermostat cannot be the root cause of the problem. One more observation that proves thermostat is fine: when the temperature gage needle comes to vertical position as engine temperature rises, it stops there for a few minutes before it start moving rapidly to the right. I read that stop as a opening of the thermostat as it should be. What happens after that is still a puzzle.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:30 PM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Oops, sorry, my mistake. I thought Jaguar forum thread “S-Type 4.0 overheating” has something to do with Jaguar S-Type 4.0 overheating
It does even if we do wander off track a little now and again.

I don't think I saw your intro in the new members section yet?

Here's a useful link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

abonano (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 01:23 AM
Veteran Member

but thermostat cannot be the root cause of the problem. One more observation that proves thermostat is fine: when the temperature gage needle comes to vertical position as engine temperature rises, it stops there for a few minutes before it start moving rapidly to the right. I read that stop as a opening of the thermostat as it should be. What happens after that is still a puzzle.
You need to use OBD to see what happens because the gauge does not reflect actual temperature. It sits in the middle over a wide range!

(This has been pointed out on the site many many times.)

abonano (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Old 07-04-2014, 10:15 AM

You must be a real laugh at parties.

Speaking of that, I guess many of our US members are going to be celebrating the 4th of July with BBQs today. As a measure of the close ties between Canada and our neighbours to the south, we have July 4th on all of our calenders too.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not sure why it's still on ours!!

Old 07-04-2014, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
I'm not sure why it's still on ours!!
Otherwise you'd have to skip straight from the 3rd to the 5th. That would be confusing.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Thank you, useful information about thermostats.

I went through three thermostats from different sources including OEM from dealership. Boiled two of them to verify opening temperature and clearance. Came to conclusion: presence of a thermostat makes symptoms worth comparing to driving without a thermostat, but thermostat cannot be the root cause of the problem. One more observation that proves thermostat is fine: when the temperature gage needle comes to vertical position as engine temperature rises, it stops there for a few minutes before it start moving rapidly to the right. I read that stop as a opening of the thermostat as it should be. What happens after that is still a puzzle.
Let's try a restatement then. With the thermostat out, there is sufficient coolant flow at all times to keep the engine cool. With the thermostat in, there is not.

The two possibilities would then be a flaw in the thermostat actually in use. Or, the thermostat is fine, but flow is marginal and the thermostat is enough restriction to show the flaw.

As this is intermittent, have you checked that the lower radiator hose is not tempoarily collapsing from suction at the time this happens?

Old 07-05-2014, 07:33 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Let's try a restatement then. With the thermostat out, there is sufficient coolant flow at all times to keep the engine cool. With the thermostat in, there is not.

The two possibilities would then be a flaw in the thermostat actually in use. Or, the thermostat is fine, but flow is marginal and the thermostat is enough restriction to show the flaw.

As this is intermittent, have you checked that the lower radiator hose is not tempoarily collapsing from suction at the time this happens?
I have discovered a theory that there is at least 3 possibilities to every problem or situation and if you haven't come up with at least 3 then you might be missing something...

In this case the third possibility is with the thermostat installed the air builds up that is squeaking out of a faulty head gasket and causes the thermostat to close and remain closed (or until the climate control is turned on and the aux pump pushes the air out to the resivour tank) and when the thermostat is taken out, it stops the air from building up around the engine block and may have a chance to escape to the resivour tank.

The hoses will be at max pressure as dictated buy the release pressure of the resivour cap, the cap will release this air pressure build up over and over again.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

Wouldn't there be some coolant expelled with the gases, thus leaving coolant stains around & on the cap? Is that what people have found? (I don't think it is.)

Still waiting to hear OBD results...

Quick Reply: S-Type 4.0 overheating