S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

s type alignment

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s type alignment

Well if the front tires are worn on the inside, but the car drives fine, the dealer
says need new toe links and an alignment, and this whole thing started with
wife complaining of vibration at highway speeds to shop when getting oil
changed......do I need new tires before getting alignment, and if we get new
toe links....why should I pay for an alignment too? kinda like charging for
a new serpentine belt install when getting an alternator...I read the post about
the toe out specs being initially wrong when the S models came out.
This begins to look a little strange to me.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:22 AM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

J.P. - You can search the sticky in the S Type Forum regarding allignment specs - I do remember reading you are looking for total toe to be as close to .26 as possible.

Regarding replacing the tires it really depends how "worn" the tires are on the inside - a compitient shop should be able to tell you this. I will say if they are significantly worn you will need to get new tires.

Whenever certain suspension items are replaced (including tie rod ends) it is highly recommeded to get an allignment done. Yes, you can "eye ball" the part when reinstalling but your talking about .01 measure increments.

Take this from someone, who has had 3 allignments performed after changing ball joints, then upper control arms then inner/outer tie rods.

The following users liked this post:
jgoode (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alignment

Originally Posted by abonano
J.P. - You can search the sticky in the S Type Forum regarding allignment specs - I do remember reading you are looking for total toe to be as close to .26 as possible.

Regarding replacing the tires it really depends how "worn" the tires are on the inside - a compitient shop should be able to tell you this. I will say if they are significantly worn you will need to get new tires.

Whenever certain suspension items are replaced (including tie rod ends) it is highly recommeded to get an allignment done. Yes, you can "eye ball" the part when reinstalling but your talking about .01 measure increments.

Take this from someone, who has had 3 allignments performed after changing ball joints, then upper control arms then inner/outer tie rods.
okay i can see where new tires would be required for a proper algnment to be done....guess i'm hung up on whether or not the cost to replace the links should also include an alignment. thanks....

Old 09-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

jgoode - When you refer to "links" - Two thoughts come to mind: If your talking about replacing the front stabilizer end links - you do not need to get an allignment. If your referring to the outer tie rod links - an allignment is highly recommended...