Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S type alignment specs - after pothole damage FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Riski
Thought they where going to price match the tire for you.....

and fyi, you might want to black out your personal info such as address as you dont know who is on the web these days....
What he said...

Old 03-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Riski
Thought they where going to price match the tire for you.....

and fyi, you might want to black out your personal info such as address as you dont know who is on the web these days....
They did, I was mistaken, it was $195 at tirerack plus, $3 for stem, $18 bucks shipping then this place charged me the balancing which brought it up to $246. I guess its $25 for a 275 series tire. Still missing $5 bucks somewhere but whatever.

Yes I should have blacked out my address, but again, I'm 220lbs with Pits, MP-5 and Glock. I would actually WELCOME someone to try and F my car up or try and act a fool, I am extremely unpleasant right now. Trespassing and attempted B and E gives me everything I need by law to stop them with force. Really just depends on what type of force i decide to use. Anybody can find anyone's address online somehow, so i never really saw the point of blacking out license plates and sh*t like that unless you are paranoid that your car would get stolen when they find out where you live. I dont know, just me though.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bull27
They did, I was mistaken, it was $195 at tirerack plus, $3 for stem, $18 bucks shipping then this place charged me the balancing which brought it up to $246. I guess its $25 for a 275 series tire. Still missing $5 bucks somewhere but whatever.

Yes I should have blacked out my address, but again, I'm 220lbs with Pits, MP-5 and Glock. I would actually WELCOME someone to try and F my car up or try and act a fool, I am extremely unpleasant right now. Trespassing and attempted B and E gives me everything I need by law to stop them with force. Really just depends on what type of force i decide to use. Anybody can find anyone's address online somehow, so i never really saw the point of blacking out license plates and sh*t like that unless you are paranoid that your car would get stolen when they find out where you live. I dont know, just me though.
You can own an HK MP5 in mass? I thought they were as bad if not worse than the Peoples Republic of New Jersey... Plus we have this stupid retreat from the threat law, as well as an equal force clause. You must BE presented with a reasonable and credible threat of deadly force and have no reasonable means of escape or retreat before justifiably using deadly force... Plus getting a carry permit here as a civilian is near impossible.

I have a summer home in FL, and I have a non-resident FL Concealed Weapons License, which is good in 29 states... NJ thinks I got it out of a bubble gum machine for all they care.

Sorry for the off topic..

George

Old 03-24-2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
You can own an HK MP5 in mass? I thought they were as bad if not worse than the Peoples Republic of New Jersey... Plus we have this stupid retreat from the threat law, as well as an equal force clause. You must BE presented with a reasonable and credible threat of deadly force and have no reasonable means of escape or retreat before justifiably using deadly force... Plus getting a carry permit here as a civilian is near impossible.

I have a summer home in FL, and I have a non-resident FL Concealed Weapons License, which is good in 29 states... NJ thinks I got it out of a bubble gum machine for all they care.

Sorry for the off topic..

George
hahaha, Mass has certainly tightened up, but had it for a while, and it helps to know influential people. Damn Jersey sounds like the District, penalties for carrying of non-licensed firearms includes immediately being strung up to the closet tree and your first born being thrown off a cliff.

This is good enough for me. Do not enter a man's castle unwelcomed and posing an immediate threat:

"The one exception to this was a period of time from the late '70s to the early '80s in Massachusetts, where it was widely accepted that the caselaw of Commonwealth of Massachusetts v. Lynn Schaefer held that when attacked in one's home, one had to try to climb out the windows before resorting to a gun in self defense. This was actually a rather nebulous case and never got to the higher courts where it would have been shot down. In any case, during a brief flash of collective sanity between the Dukakis administrations, the Bay State elected John King as governor and he promptly signed into law a "castle doctrine" that brought Massachusetts into line with the rest of the civilized world.
Massachusetts was neither the first nor the last state to enact what pro-gunners call a "castle law" and anti-gunners call a "Death Wish law" or a "kill thy neighbor" law. Be advised that these laws DO NOT permit the indiscriminate shooting of any intruder caught inside the dwelling! They permit the use of deadly force ONLY when the intruder seriously poses an immediate threat to the life and limb of someone therein. Castle laws have been widely and horribly misinterpreted by a large number of professionals in the firearms field who should have known better."

Old 03-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I dont block my plates out either.....for just about the same reasons
I have 2 bikes, the Jag and C5 ZO6 w/ 408 and procharged in my garage.......who dares to visit?

Last edited by Riski; 03-24-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

hahaha, Mass has certainly tightened up, but had it for a while, and it helps to know influential people. Damn Jersey sounds like the District, penalties for carrying of non-licensed firearms includes immediately being strung up to the closet tree and your first born being thrown off a cliff.

This is good enough for me. Do not enter a man's castle unwelcomed and posing an immediate threat:

"The one exception to this was a period of time from the late '70s to the early '80s in Massachusetts, where it was widely accepted that the caselaw of Commonwealth of Massachusetts v. Lynn Schaefer held that when attacked in one's home, one had to try to climb out the windows before resorting to a gun in self defense. This was actually a rather nebulous case and never got to the higher courts where it would have been shot down. In any case, during a brief flash of collective sanity between the Dukakis administrations, the Bay State elected John King as governor and he promptly signed into law a "castle doctrine" that brought Massachusetts into line with the rest of the civilized world.
Massachusetts was neither the first nor the last state to enact what pro-gunners call a "castle law" and anti-gunners call a "Death Wish law" or a "kill thy neighbor" law. Be advised that these laws DO NOT permit the indiscriminate shooting of any intruder caught inside the dwelling! They permit the use of deadly force ONLY when the intruder seriously poses an immediate threat to the life and limb of someone therein. Castle laws have been widely and horribly misinterpreted by a large number of professionals in the firearms field who should have known better."
NJ is horrible.

1) Assault Weapons ban - defined as a whole list of different items, or anything "substantially resembling" them. There was NO grandfathering. You had to get rid of anything that now violated the ban within 180 days of its enactment or be guilty of an automatic felony. AR-15's were on the ban list forever, as well several sniper rifles.

2) "High Capacity " Mag ban. It's illegal (and a class C felony) to own or possess any firearm or magazine capable of a capacity of more than 10 rounds. Just owning a high cap mag is a felony. Once again, no grandfathering (as in the Klinton Era ban) etc.

3) Carrying a firearm - openly or concealed on ones own property (except for certain limited legal long gun use during specific hunting seasons) is a felony without the impossible to get concealed carry permit. The ONLY exceptions are INSIDE your home or business. If you go to the curb to get your mail, (on property you own), it's a felony...

Even buying a handgun requires a 3 month waiting period with state police and federal bkgnd checks, plus a ncis check at point of sale.

You can't get one gun a month if you tried...

Now for the most part, cops have a reasonable head on their shoulders, and don't harass people for no reason, or ruin lives charging people with simple oversights or minor slip ups. However if there is a shooting or other incident that gets these liberal do good prosecutors involved, in Jersey it's guilty until proven innocent.

George

Old 03-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Bull, Ouch man... So sorry to hear about that. From the pictures it looks like everything is OK. Hope all is good once the tire is replaced and that is the end of it. What has AAA or the tow company said? They owe some services big time. Glad no one was hurt... Remember, it might suck to hurt the car, but still better than having a person hurt... BTW, I thought you would have traded it in on a mini-van by now..... Sorry couldn't help it.

Oh yea, George is right, Jersey is nuts.. Borne and raised in the Garden State....Ohio has a castle law, and, yes, you have to be in physical danger before discharging your weapon. There was a case just recently where a retired gent opened his door only to find someone trying to force their way in. He shot and injured the guy but no charges were filed against him. Sounds like a no brainer but the interesting thing is the perp was trying to sue him because he got shot on the guys porch and it was an apartment...We'll the retired guy won because they said the front porch counts as part of his rental dwelling and since he paid to live there he has the same right to defend himself as a property owner...Wow, sane legal system, go figure..

Old 03-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Bull, Ouch man... So sorry to hear about that. From the pictures it looks like everything is OK. Hope all is good once the tire is replaced and that is the end of it. What has AAA or the tow company said? They owe some services big time. Glad no one was hurt... Remember, it might suck to hurt the car, but still better than having a person hurt... BTW, I thought you would have traded it in on a mini-van by now..... Sorry couldn't help it.

Oh yea, George is right, Jersey is nuts.. Borne and raised in the Garden State....Ohio has a castle law, and, yes, you have to be in physical danger before discharging your weapon. There was a case just recently where a retired gent opened his door only to find someone trying to force their way in. He shot and injured the guy but no charges were filed against him. Sounds like a no brainer but the interesting thing is the perp was trying to sue him because he got shot on the guys porch and it was an apartment...We'll the retired guy won because they said the front porch counts as part of his rental dwelling and since he paid to live there he has the same right to defend himself as a property owner...Wow, sane legal system, go figure..
How about this for one better. Here in Newark, NJ. A relative of a friend owned a deli / sandwich shop, which had been robbed 5 or so times over the course of several months. Each time they would gain entry through the roof of the store - via the fire escape of an adjacent building, through a ventilation duct.

So, the shop owner after basically being told too bad so sad repeatedly by the police decided to take matters into his own hands, and put a steel grate under the duct (in the roof), and a separate steel plate on the framing of the suspended ceiling hooked each side of it to a wire, plugged into the nearest 120v outlet when he was closed.

It took two weeks for someone to break into the store, and get electrocuted.

The above mentioned person, had 13 felonies on his record ranging from drugs to armed robbery (yet was still walking around).

He was not only charged with 2nd degree manslaughter, (which he later pled down to criminally negligent homicide, and did 18 months), but was also sued civilly by the family for wrongful death, and they ended up getting a 7 figure judgement from a jury of his "peers".

Welcome to New Jersey...

George

Old 03-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken at British parts sells the inner tie rods which I believe is what Bytor is talking about if I remember correctly seperately from the steering rack, and they are available on ebay as well. Apparently its a huge PITA to do when the rack is in the car though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/new-j...5#ht_500wt_956

Bytor, Or someone - I might Need some of those stock lugs if you're willing to part with them for cheap. I'm on the prowl for an OEM set of wheels.

George
George, send me your address via email and I'll send them to you. How many stockers do you want?

BB

Old 03-24-2010, 08:07 PM

Hey guys, again, thanks for all the kind remarks. I took some pics with the front wheel off, we couldnt find anything bent or out of place, but to be honest I didnt really know what I was looking for. So i took a few crappy pics, couldnt find that inner control arm that Bytor was talking about, or maybe I did but just didnt know it.
Bull,

The first picture after the invoice got it. The metal piece (about 3/8" in diameter) sticking out of the rubber boot. If you take the boot off, you'll see a metal piece that threds into the steering rack assembly. That's the little sucker that caused me so much pain... It's about 6-8" long.

BB

Old 03-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bytor
George, send me your address via email and I'll send them to you. How many stockers do you want?

BB
Bytor,

You've got mail. Thanks again.

George

Old 03-24-2010, 09:52 PM

Bull,

The first picture after the invoice got it. The metal piece (about 3/8" in diameter) sticking out of the rubber boot. If you take the boot off, you'll see a metal piece that threds into the steering rack assembly. That's the little sucker that caused me so much pain... It's about 6-8" long.

BB
Ok yep, I thought that was it, looked familiar. Now do I need to take the boot off to check or would I be able to tell by the visual inspection I have already done and the soon to be alignment? That whole thing bent on you or just where it attaches to the steering box? Damn, I'm shocked that thing would bend so easily if you hit a pothole going straight, now if u slammed into a curb with the wheel turned, that's another story. Thx.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member

Ok yep, I thought that was it, looked familiar. Now do I need to take the boot off to check or would I be able to tell by the visual inspection I have already done and the soon to be alignment? That whole thing bent on you or just where it attaches to the steering box? Damn, I'm shocked that thing would bend so easily if you hit a pothole going straight, now if u slammed into a curb with the wheel turned, that's another story. Thx.
As far as Bytor, I believe he ran over some obstacle in the road at speed. And Bytor, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong... As far as your car, I definitely believe that your rear wheel took the brunt of that impact. Consider yourself lucky in that respect as it's much harder to bend the static components of the rear suspension.

If it's going to bend, it will be visible... And the car WILL NOT align properly - one side of the suspension will be geometrically different than the other, so you will never get the wheels in the position they need to be relative to each other. If it aligns fine, then no worries, nothing is bent. All in all seems like you just blew out a tire... Just in probably the most inopportune way imaginable.

I know you mentioned talking to Brutal as far as as alignment, but would you mind posting your "after" alignment printout as a reference guide. The shop should give it to you.

Thanks,

George

Old 03-24-2010, 10:22 PM

Mine bent where it was visible. Approx 70 degrees angle from true... You do not have to take the boot off to check it. You'll know when driving since one wheel will act properly, while the other sort of does whatever it wants except turning properly. I drove mine 70 miles on the highway like that, probably the strangest drive home ever...

Now, I can't explain how the bend occurred. No sideways impact at all, but I may have dropped it to the pavement when the tire went down, but I still cannot explain it. Others have speculated that the tow truck may have bent it (or dropped the car hard enough to bend it), but that's a tough one to prove as well. The mechanic said I must have hit a curb with it, but I know that's not the case...

Here is a good and bad pic of my inner control arms...

Attached Thumbnails S type alignment specs - after pothole damage FAQ-jaguar_steer-005_sm.jpg   S type alignment specs - after pothole damage FAQ-jaguar_steer-004_sm.jpg  
Old 03-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

Mine bent where it was visible. Approx 70 degrees angle from true... You do not have to take the boot off to check it. You'll know when driving since one wheel will act properly, while the other sort of does whatever it wants except turning properly. I drove mine 70 miles on the highway like that, probably the strangest drive home ever...

Now, I can't explain how the bend occurred. No sideways impact at all, but I may have dropped it to the pavement when the tire went down, but I still cannot explain it. Others have speculated that the tow truck may have bent it (or dropped the car hard enough to bend it), but that's a tough one to prove as well. The mechanic said I must have hit a curb with it, but I know that's not the case...

Here is a good and bad pic of my inner control arms...
I can almost bet a bend like that was caused by the tow operator. No way that touched the ground when you lost the tire... A bend like that would require an impact with a solid object, and would have left a severely damaged wheel in it's wake. The bend is front to back, so the wheel would have had to physically shift in the wheel well.

Were your tows done on a flatbed or a wheel lift? And did have the wheel lift that grabs the tires or the older style stirrups.

My bet if it was a flatbed in order of probability:

1) he attached the winch cable to the tie rod end, to pull the car onto the bed.
2) he got overzealous with one of those ratcheting straps to tie the car to the bed

Now if it was a wheel lift, that had the car by the wheels, could the fact that both wheels were strapped tightly to the wheel lift, but one had a flat tire cause the bend as the car turned behind the tow truck? That's an interesting theory... Since the wheel lift is a solid bar, but the wheels would be on it leaving the car at an angle.

If it was stirrups, he may have hooked to the tie rod end...

George

Old 03-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Bull remind me tommorrow to post Jaguars corrected alignment specs to use for 03^ Stype

Old 03-24-2010, 11:25 PM

I can almost bet a bend like that was caused by the tow operator. No way that touched the ground when you lost the tire... A bend like that would require an impact with a solid object, and would have left a severely damaged wheel in it's wake. The bend is front to back, so the wheel would have had to physically shift in the wheel well.

Were your tows done on a flatbed or a wheel lift? And did have the wheel lift that grabs the tires or the older style stirrups.

My bet if it was a flatbed in order of probability:

1) he attached the winch cable to the tie rod end, to pull the car onto the bed.
2) he got overzealous with one of those ratcheting straps to tie the car to the bed

Now if it was a wheel lift, that had the car by the wheels, could the fact that both wheels were strapped tightly to the wheel lift, but one had a flat tire cause the bend as the car turned behind the tow truck? That's an interesting theory... Since the wheel lift is a solid bar, but the wheels would be on it leaving the car at an angle.

If it was stirrups, he may have hooked to the tie rod end...

George
What is up with these tow truck drivers nowadays, in most of my experiences with tows I have seen nothing but negligence and recklessness. It would make sense though seeing as you did not have a side impact. Sorry but I laughed my a*s off when you said "probably the strangest drive home ever.". I can only imagine.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
Bull remind me tommorrow to post Jaguars corrected alignment specs to use for 03^ Stype
Will do, I really appreciate it.

Earlier I thought these were Brutals specs posted here

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/sh...ight=alignment

I just didn't read it properly they are JagV8s, and the ones I gave to the shop were only partial specs from Brutal I pulled from another thread. I did not realize they were so in depth, anyways thanks again Brutal and I will post my printout when I get mine done. When I get the full specs from Brutal tomorrow I am bringing those directly to the shop.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

The current settings are most likely as in the 09/2009 Vehicle Specifications, here:

Attached Files
Old 03-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,356 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Bull,

Sounds like you're well underway in getting the vehicle back to normal. That's great....

But do take the time to black out your personal information from now on. I know you'll protect your property to the death, and you should. But you are not always home to do so. Your wife could be home alone when some as$hole decides to break in to your place. For that reason alone, it's important to black out your info online. Just food for thought, man....

Quick Reply: S type alignment specs - after pothole damage FAQ