S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S type alignment specs - after pothole damage FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
Is there any discernable difference between them and the Mitsubishi lugs you bought? I'm patiently waiting for my stock lugs to arrive, the new stock wheel gets here on Fri

Thanks again,
George
No difference that I could tell. Both sets are far superior to the original stock lugs in weight and composition. I do not think I will be breaking one of these...

BB

Old 04-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

That's awesome that you found the whole set for $59.

Yeah I'd second a short - medium breaker bar with a 21 mm socket with these lugs.

If you bought one of those 4 way cross tire irons it should also have the 21mm socket. (or 7/8)

These Dorman ones are apparently one piece solid chrome and also carry a lifetime warranty as per the Dorman site.

I have a set of McGard conical seat lugs + locks I use on my Aftermarket wheels - They are good stuff too. I have heard nothing but good things about the Dormans - who btw are the OEM supplier of our wheel studs, so I'm going to go for them.

$59 is a GREAT price for it all delivered.

George
Placed the order, got shipping confirmation 2 hrs later. They are sending Fed-Ex, which tends to be alot quicker than UPS Ground.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27
Placed the order, got shipping confirmation 2 hrs later. They are sending Fed-Ex, which tends to be alot quicker than UPS Ground.
Going to place my order now. Thanks again for that link.

Any idea where they are shipping out of? (since u got fed-ex info)

George

EDIT: They are now out of stock at street side! Wonder how many people from this forum ran out and grabbed them! I'll check again in another couple days... Hopefully they get more. They are still a much better deal than rockauto.com even if I miss the %5 off coupon.

Last edited by androulakis; 04-01-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:20 PM

Going to place my order now. Thanks again for that link.

Any idea where they are shipping out of? (since u got fed-ex info)

George

EDIT: They are now out of stock at street side! Wonder how many people from this forum ran out and grabbed them! I'll check again in another couple days... Hopefully they get more. They are still a much better deal than rockauto.com even if I miss the %5 off coupon.
Alright FESS up, who ordered the lugs from Street Side before George???? This thread has been read over 1000 times so, it could be alot of people.

Man that sucks, hopefully they get some more in. They are located in Kansas City, so assuming they are shipping out of there.

Spoke to the Regional Manager of Town Fair Tire today. He is making things right. I'll give you a full update once I meet with him tomorrow at a different location.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:56 AM

Strange thing just happened. I walked out the door and there were the lug nuts delivered by FedEx. I literally ordered them yesterday morning, and by 8AM this morning they were outside my door. Awesome but surprised seeing as it was free shipping, and they usually use the cheapest method possible.

Anyways, they look great, and match up perfectly with the originals. I am having them throw these on when I get my car "re-aligned" for the third time today, and yes, they come 10 per box (20 for $59).

I have an extra 4 if anyone needs them, I use locking nuts on my wheels.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

Strange thing just happened. I walked out the door and there were the lug nuts delivered by FedEx. I literally ordered them yesterday morning, and by 8AM this morning they were outside my door. Awesome but surprised seeing as it was free shipping, and they usually use the cheapest method possible.

Anyways, they look great, and match up perfectly with the originals. I am having them throw these on when I get my car "re-aligned" for the third time today, and yes, they come 10 per box (20 for $59).

I have an extra 4 if anyone needs them, I use locking nuts on my wheels.
Dammit! Now I'm even more mad that they are sold out! I'm waiting for Bytor's stock lugs to get here as a temp measure to get stock wheels back on my car. (I have aftermarket 19's on my car - and they have developed shaking issues), so I'm just going back to stock till I get new wheels / tires, but I ended up destroying 5 stock lugs (and a stock wheel - replacement here today) in a fiasco I had getting the stock wheels off at the end of the winter season.

Hrrm.. You have 4, Bytor has 10 Mitsubishi lugs. Maybe I can piecemeal together a set lol...

George

Old 04-02-2010, 12:57 PM

Lugs are on, look great, I think alot better than the stock. Also seems like they fill out the holes a little better, not sure if they are wider, longer or both. Final alignment specs attached, done with a brand new Hunter rack recently calibrated. The recommended tech (by the regional manager) seemed to know his stuff and seemed to genuinely care. Store manager asks him, "so you wont have a problem with his spec requests right", he goes "its not splitting an atom." Thought that was funny because that is EXACTLY what I have been thinking to myself throughout this whole debacle. Drives great, better than the previous two "alignments". If the specs are off at all, I dont really care at this point. Steering wheel is dead straight, handles extremely well around corners, and there doesnt seem to be any sway to the right or left whatsoever.

Rear

FRONT

Name:  IMG00128-20100402-1335.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  79.5 KB

FINAL SPECS

Name:  alignment3.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  58.0 KB

Old 04-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,356 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Very important question, Bull -

Do you now have a 21mm lug wrench in your trunk? Remember, your factory 19mm lug wrench will not fit these new nuts....

If you don't have one, you better get one TODAY. With all the bad kharma crap happening around here lately, you never know when a flat tire is going to strike you once again....

Oh, and I'm really liking that total front toe-in of +.27 that I see on your final set of alignment specs. Keep us posted on your handling as well as your tire wear now....

Old 04-02-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
Very important question, Bull -

Do you now have a 21mm lug wrench in your trunk? Remember, your factory 19mm lug wrench will not fit these new nuts....

If you don't have one, you better get one TODAY. With all the bad kharma crap happening around here lately, you never know when a flat tire is going to strike you once again....

Oh, and I'm really liking that total front toe-in of +.27 that I see on your final set of alignment specs. Keep us posted on your handling as well as your tire wear now....
Well I bought a 4 way tire iron from Advanced Auto Parts, I believe it has that size. When I go back outside I will check.

NOTE: Also the only thing I thought was a little off with this alignment was the front camber L-.1 and R-.6 but the Jag specs actually have them listed as L-.2 and R-.55 so it looks as though this is just fine.

PS Why are the gods so angry at all of the Jaguarforums.com members??? Geez we are all good guys just trying to help.....aren't we?

Old 04-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

Joe - To nit-pick, the jag rear camber specs say R & L should be equal and about -0.54.
But... the new one is wayyyy better than the others.

edit: and if drives good it is good.

Last edited by JagV8; 04-02-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
Joe - To nit-pick, the jag rear camber specs say R & L should be equal and about -0.54.
But... the new one is wayyyy better than the others.

edit: and if drives good it is good.
Haha, ok, I fought the good fight. Got the thing aligned 3 different times by 2 techs at 2 locations, called and emailed a complaint to corporate afterwards explained to the regional sales manager for a half hour on how his employees should conduct business in a sales environment. Now, i could drive it back and have him adjust the rear, but I think the most important specs are good to go (dont want him to F up the front), drives very well, so i most likely will not do that. Im a self proclaimed consumer advocate (lol), but I need to learn when enough is enough, and when it is starting to waste too much of my time. Time that should be used to make some $$$ instead of di*king around with this type of thing. But hey, the lugs look like they were put on correctly! thats a plus!

PS What would these rears, the way they are set up now, potentially cause a vehicle to do?

Last edited by Bull27; 04-02-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

haha, I was only pulling your .... leg.

I defer to Brutal about how it'll handle differently to the spec but I think it'll be slightly adjusting for the road crown at the rear as well as the front and I'd GUESS (eek) it won't even be noticeable. On a perfectly level non-crown road (center lane) maybe it'll wander a little left but who'd care??? Heck, it's within spec so we're splitting hairs really. The thrust angle is great and the toe and castor so it's gotta be good.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

Bull,

Congrats on getting you wanted and should have gotten from the get go. The lugs look great. Sorry I've been off the radar most of the day dealing with the accident I had yesterday with the X-Type.

I want to send a bit thank you to Bytor, for graciously sending me his stock lug nuts at no charge to get me out of a jam with the S-type. Got the replacement stock wheel, and got the tire mounted and the wheels back on and it drives perfect again. Just in the nick of time too because the X is going to have to be in the shop.

Speaking of Alignments - to say the Xtype is going to need one is an understatement. Take a look in my thread about the accident if you're interested.

I am going to actually order two sets of the lugs from street side when they come back in stock, one for the X and one for the S.

One thing I do want to mention to you Bull. Does that wheel lock nut have a conical seat or a flat washered seat? If it has a conical seat I would NOT torque it to spec (really you shouldn't use it) because it's going to dig into the wheel (which expects a flat washer seat lug nut). I haven't found a flat washer seat 12x1.5 set of wheel locks.

George

Old 04-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

finally, that's a good alignment

Old 04-03-2010, 07:08 PM

Thats great to hear Brutal, thanks for all of your help, much appreciated. Given the fact that this post has been viewed so many times hopefully it will help other SType owners currently and into the future. I'm sure it will.

Anyways, does anyone (Jeff) know the exact specs of our factory lug nuts, and what year and models they will fit on? I might as well put them on Ebay and see what I can get for them seeing as they are $20 EACH at the dealer.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

Thats great to hear Brutal, thanks for all of your help, much appreciated. Given the fact that this post has been viewed so many times hopefully it will help other SType owners currently and into the future. I'm sure it will.

Anyways, does anyone (Jeff) know the exact specs of our factory lug nuts, and what year and models they will fit on? I might as well put them on Ebay and see what I can get for them seeing as they are $20 EACH at the dealer.
They should fit any 98+ Jag. X, S, XJ, XJR, XF, etc... Lincoln LS's too.

Just list them as OEM Jaguar Lug Nuts, 12x1.5 thread with a flat washer seat.

George

Old 04-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,356 Likes on 2,849 Posts

I was originally willing to sell mine for a buck each to anyone interested, but then I decided it would be perceived as cruel and unusual punishment to the poor sucker who bought them....

Old 04-07-2010, 03:50 PM

Nice. Just noticed that the front right tire now has fornmed a bubble on the side wall. Only the right rear was replaced because there was nothing evident at the time that there was any damage to the front tire.

How long do I have, how dangerous is this?

Old 04-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

hmmm...... are you feeling lucky (punk)? LOL

Sorry to say it's probably impossible to say but wisest to change it immediately if not sooner

Old 04-07-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
hmmm...... are you feeling lucky (punk)? LOL

Sorry to say it's probably impossible to say but wisest to change it immediately if not sooner
HA! Um no I am not feeling lucky, none of us on this forum should be with everything thats going on. Damn if I knew I was going to need 2 new tires I would have just upgraded all of them to some nice summer ones given that the Kumho Ecsta ASX's that are on there now "all-seasons" are still worthless in any kind of snowfall.

I'll order from tirerack and take my chances for the next few weeks.

Quick Reply: S type alignment specs - after pothole damage FAQ