S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S type alignment specs - after pothole damage FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by crt_ben
As promised, pics of the rim protectors on the Conti's. As you can see it's not extreme, but the tire clearly sticks out past the rim, enough to protect it from light scrapes. I imagine the rim would still touch if you really ran it against the curb.

JOsworth / Jon89, I agree that the load rating is of some concern, and I wish it were higher. That said, the combined load rating of all the tires is 5,908 pounds, and I would imagine that is spec'd as "normal" operation with momentary loads or impacts being higher. Given that cushion of 2,000lbs, I'm comfortable running the tires.

I'm eager to get the matching fronts to really evaluate handling. I've only had the car for a few months, and I'm already taking the onramps and offramps as fast as I do with my MR2 turbo. The DSC is kicking in on the front tires a bit so those are definitely the limitation - they are some nearly worn out Toyo's. I never push the MR2 to the limit because it's a snap-oversteer spin before you blink kind of car, but I'm pleased that I'm taking the two ton Jag around corners as fast as a sub 3,000 pound mid engine two seater.

Thanks for the pics, ya they are about the same as my Kumhos, maybe stick out a tad more, not sure. The only ones that I've seen that stick out significantly are the Bridgestone Potenzas. Ill probably go with them, I really need a pronounced curb guard, I parallel park alot.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Not to go too off topic.... Pictures Please???!!!!
+1 Immediatley if not sooner

Old 04-15-2010, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,356 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Bull,

To greatly assist your parallel parking requirements, find yourself a set of four "curb feelers". Very popular back in the 1970s along with lowering the car to about a half-inch above the pavement and installing a steering wheel about the size of a dessert plate. The Chevy Impala or Ford Galaxie 500 were the cars of choice, along with the Cadillac DeVille series for those with a bit more spending money. Watch some of the old Cheech and Chong movies and you'll see what I mean....

Long before your time, I know....

Old 05-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What an educational thread. Spent about an hour in here.

Not to off-track, but what PSI do you guys keep your tires at? Particularly the STR owners with the 245/40 275/35 18 inch combo.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Joe your weekend sounds like one I had last year. I was going home after a 12hr shift in the middle of the night. Everything was good until I was in the center lane of the freeway in the S.F. bay area and couldn't change lanes as I came up on a pot hole about 3ft. around. To say the least I hit it about 70mph. When I got to the side of the road I thought I just bent one rim. I then noticed that I didn't have a jack or lug wrench. Forgot, I just bought the car a month before, it's on 20's, & I'm two hours from home. Luck would have it I called a buddy with a car trailer to pick me up. While waiting some dozen other cars bent their wheels in the same hole. After getting home in the morning I found out I bent 3 wheels, ruined one tire, broke two belly covers, & broke the oil pan. $3000.00 worth of damage. Insurance paid for everthing then went after the state of california and got their money back. What a long night. Now everything needed to change a tire is back in the car.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisSTR
What an educational thread. Spent about an hour in here.

Not to off-track, but what PSI do you guys keep your tires at? Particularly the STR owners with the 245/40 275/35 18 inch combo.
I said screw my old set up (38 front, 41ish rear) and am going 42psi all the way around. I like it.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by fordboy
Hey Joe your weekend sounds like one I had last year. I was going home after a 12hr shift in the middle of the night. Everything was good until I was in the center lane of the freeway in the S.F. bay area and couldn't change lanes as I came up on a pot hole about 3ft. around. To say the least I hit it about 70mph. When I got to the side of the road I thought I just bent one rim. I then noticed that I didn't have a jack or lug wrench. Forgot, I just bought the car a month before, it's on 20's, & I'm two hours from home. Luck would have it I called a buddy with a car trailer to pick me up. While waiting some dozen other cars bent their wheels in the same hole. After getting home in the morning I found out I bent 3 wheels, ruined one tire, broke two belly covers, & broke the oil pan. $3000.00 worth of damage. Insurance paid for everthing then went after the state of california and got their money back. What a long night. Now everything needed to change a tire is back in the car.
Wow Cory that it ridiculous. I didnt think you warm weather folk had monster potholes like we have in the Northeast i.e. salt, plowing snow etc. Guess I was wrong.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:08 AM

Man the roads in california are some of the worst I have ever drove on. I know dirt roads in oregon where I grew up that are smoother than the roads here.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fordboy
Driving around in NYC is a non-stop curse session for me. It's a disgrace how highways can be allowed to remain in such deplorable conditions with the monstrous taxes we pay here. I can't think of a single highway (perhaps the very small Clearview Expressway in Queens) where I'd feel secure in flooring the STR without concern for potholes, bumps, lumps, nooks, and crannies.

The state where a car is driven is always a big consideration for me when purchasing. It should be for most.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:59 PM

Driving around in NYC is a non-stop curse session for me. It's a disgrace how highways can be allowed to remain in such deplorable conditions with the monstrous taxes we pay here. I can't think of a single highway (perhaps the very small Clearview Expressway in Queens) where I'd feel secure in flooring the STR without concern for potholes, bumps, lumps, nooks, and crannies.

The state where a car is driven is always a big consideration for me when purchasing. It should be for most.
I am heading to Manhatten this weekend to see my wife and I's college friends. I will not be taking the STR for one major reason, THE FDR. I honestly do not think there is a worse road in this planet. The lanes are barely wide enough for a smart car, cabs and locals are ruthless and have no problem being 2 inches from the other vehicle going 55mph, and the bumps, craters, minefields are treacherous.

I would suggest going with a lower psi if your roads are that bad. I noticed there is alot more "shock" over potholes and bumps when I switched to a 42psi all around.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank God for the most part that is not true in AZ. We're blessed with great weather and "rubberized" asphalt freeways (no concrete joint shudder and that incessant drone!!), canyon twisties...guess my Jag and I are lucky

Old 12-07-2010, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
the rear toe steers the car like a rudder on a boat. if not close to even it will scrub the tires (more wear, loss of mpg). if both rear tires point to the right, they will steer the car left, and visa versa. So I preffer them even(within a couple numbers is fine).
I like more toe in due to the fact that the road as you drive is trying to force out(toe out) the tires. What I recommend is what Ive found through experience over the years working on Jaguars (and alot of vehicles) that it gives the best tire wear, I dont like directional tires cause if you have a tire pull (more sever that a suspension drift) you can swap the tires side to side to counteract the affect. You have to brake down the tires and flip them on the rim and then move them. The reason I like alignments and recommend useing the machine as the tool it is and not the final answer for alignments. Is I service and look at the same customers cars month after month year after year. I know that if I did an alignment with new tires ( or rotated to get square rear tires up front)and a few months later they back for an oil change and I see irregular wear. I know 1 of 2 things. they hit something to knock out alignment...pothole, curb..or the tires dont like my previous alignment. (and I have pulled cars on the rack to check and adjust for free without saying anything to the customer, its about doing the right thing and learning, if what Im doing isnt doing what I thought it would I want to know it
This is how we discovered Stype had insufficient toe in.
@Brutal

I have an 06 STR that I tend to drive fast in most of the time. I'm running PZero Rossos.

The front tires never last long, and I've read through most of this thread.

I have to change tires this week and before I go there, I would like to confirm the procedure:
Set the rear toe at negative 0.13 each side
Set the front camber at negative.05 both sides
Set the front toe at negative 0.13 each side
re-check the rear toe for negative 0.13 after doing the front
Keep castor at positive 0.05 both wheels

Is the above procedure correct?

At high speed cruising (120/130mph), won't the front tires heat up too much?

Many thanks

Old 12-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

First thing I noticed was your idea for the front of negative toe when I'd say positive i.e. toe IN.

Why would the tyres heat up as you describe - you would be following the handbook on pressures, right?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:03 AM

I thought toe in was negative.

Race cars are usually set toe in to allow the tires to warm up fast.

I would use regular pressure, yes.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by agp22
I thought toe in was negative.

Race cars are usually set toe in to allow the tires to warm up fast.

I would use regular pressure, yes.
Toe in aids in streight line, & helps to reduce over steering, but too much of anything is a bad thing.

Brutal, I know recently you posted the new "corrected" specs for a four wheel but I can't seam to find it... I'll keep looking.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

I thought it was in this thread, with photos of alignment(s) done and comments on them. You can find his posts just in this one thread using Advanced Search I reckon

Old 08-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

I'd take a look at page 3 then where your fancy takes you from there.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

Ah ha! You guys are awesome. I must have over looked it. Thx.