Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Saw this in another thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...3&postcount=10

Note the similarities

Old 11-17-2010, 02:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an update, the old battery is still running the car. last started this morning after a 7 day stand. Car runs OK and is booked in for its service next week. After this is stamped in the book, the car is going, I have been told it is worth a £1250 now, for a 44,000?? car that cost £29,000. Back to MB's for me. Jaguar are bad build, electrics, greabox etc etc etc.

Thanks to the guy who mentioned the relays.

Everyone else who is angry over my criticism of them for pushing me to buy a battery that I didn't need, what can I say?? I would prefer to let you know that you were wrong in this case, so you can learn from the problems I had and improve your advice in the future.

However, you do offer a great service on this forum and one of your members got me up and running for which I am thankful for.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,949 Posts

You're the only member I've ever encountered who had an idiot wrongly jump a car, causing those sparks etc and clearly the other damage you eventually found. People offered you the best advice - free - they could. Instead, you could've had your car towed to a dealer and spent a lot more than a battery cost. And you could put the battery on ebay to recover some of that.

It's simply wrong to blame Jaguar for "bad build, electrics, etc" bearing in mind the idiot bad jump. Any car could have blown a whole lot more than yours did. You were lucky not to have destroyed all manner of computer modules.

BTW, I'm not trying to keep you a jag owner. Not at all. I'd rather you were with MB, BMW, whatever.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

I guess the 'take away' message from this saga is that the OP is now a recognized expert in this area and will be stepping in to assist all other owners with similar issues.

Not.

No good deed goes unpunished as was said above. Sheesh

Old 11-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

An idiot from france?? Who would have thought!!

Old 11-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,752 Likes on 8,741 Posts

Tania, in your first post, you stated that the battery needed to be jumpered to get the car going. It sounds as though it may be just a matter of time before it "goes flat" again.
Keep that new battery because you'll be needing it before you think you will.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Ok Guys,

I think that this thread has run it's course and is heading downhill.

So It's the end of the line, thread closed.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Tania1

Everyone else who is angry over my criticism of them for pushing me to buy a battery that I didn't need, what can I say?? I would prefer to let you know that you were wrong in this case, so you can learn from the problems I had and improve your advice in the future.

However, you do offer a great service on this forum and one of your members got me up and running for which I am thankful for.
To the OP. In reply to your direct request for more moderation;

Having read through every single post in this thread at least twice I have still no idea exactly what was wrong with the car and what was the eventual definitive cure. Nor will I ever know.

The title of the thread 'Battery was flat' would tend to push anyone trying to help you from a distance into remedying that situation before going into more detailed diagnostics.

As the saga unfolded, more information appeared, such as the very serious crossing of polarity during the jump start procedure.

Instead of the guys taking the easy option and instructing you to go to the Jaguar dealer for full diagnostics (your insurance would most likely have covered the tow truck), they stuck with trying to help you, from testing relays through fuses and how to test them.

Although the car now appears to be running, it is still not clear as to what caused the problem in the first place.

(In reply to your various comments, not seen here).
I see no evidence of abuse or name calling, just a bunch of people trying to help you, with suggestions, telling of their own experiences, and generally offering as much free help as possible.

Rest assured that all members of this forum, from the Admin through to the most junior member are enthusiasts, who freely give their time to try to help folk out of a mess.

Any abuse, or name calling is not accepted on what we all consider to be one of the friendliest forums around.

I hope that you are now up and running and that you don't have any latent module or computer issues as a result of the bad jump start.

If you do have such problems please start a new thread.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  19.3 KB

Ok, having read Translators comments I have to give a +1 on this.

I myself spent an hour or so this am ( prior to getting caught up in work ) going through this....each and every post was read and re-read.

I saw long standing members with post counts of 2700, 700, 1400 who have been part of the site for many months, in most cases years, trying to offer the best advice they could.
This was despite being given basic information where nothing was ever really clear, which is always difficult.

I saw one reference to idiot, which seemed to be aimed at the "do gooder" who tried to help by jump starting the OP's car, and no one else.

No offence is meant Tania, but, you have 27 posts and have been here a relatively short time, bash the car in particular and the brand in general. You expect top quality assistance ( for free ) and want it IMMEDIATELY if not sooner......then question the manner in which these long standing members try to provide just that?
Over and above that you then suggest that we moderate ( because we don't do this allegedly ) these same users!

You are free to revisit here and be part of our forum should you so wish to do so, you are also free to leave if you feel it is so badly run and the advice offered is not the best.

Moderation ended!

The following users liked this post:
JOsworth (11-19-2010)