Sponsored by:

S-Type C-Pillar dent repair?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2023, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 305 Posts
Default S-Type C-Pillar dent repair?

Our S-Type was perfect... - up until a moment ago:
I just got a call from my wife: One of those worthless lowlifes just threw a massive stone at her S-Type at night, while she was passing the area, where the Aborigines have their homes...
I have not seen the S-Type yet, but she told me there is a massive hand-sized dent in the C-pillar... I just learned on the net that this actually seems to be called D-Pillar (the surface behind the read door before the window in the back).
That is something I have no experience with...: How can I get a big dent out of the D-Pillar?
Is there any way to push it out coming from the inside, or is there just no access from behind?

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 10-31-2023 at 07:18 AM. Reason: D-Pillar
Old 10-31-2023, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 635 Likes on 498 Posts

Here in the States, we would call in a "dent wizard, " AKA paintless dent repair firm; a traditional body shop repair would extend to painting the entire roof and quarter panels (rear wings) which is necessitated by there bring no body lines to mask off to on the flowing design of the S-type. This would be rather expensive...

Old 10-31-2023, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks I am watching now youtube videos I found with the keyword "dent wizard D-Pillar". I have a heat gun, but they seem to have real magical tools there....

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (10-31-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 11:48 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Search for dent pullers on Temu.com - there are a lot to choose from.

If you actually need paint, any good autobody paintshop worth its salt will be able to fade / blend that in.

Old 10-31-2023, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. I did not hear about Temu before, just had a brief look, and it seems worth a second look...
Regarding dent pullers: I have the "lever action" puller already since quite some time - so far I found it not so helpful, but I saw something interesting on youtube:
A sliding hammer for dent pulling and I spotted it for a good price on ebay. I will go for that.

And I just had a first look at the dent: It is not as huge as I first thought, maybe 50mm in diameter - so yes: Very bad anyway. Plus it is not just a dent, it is severely scratched.
So this will need paint. I myself am not that bad at spray painting, but in the professional paint shop here they are a lot better (but expensive). Also: I use acrylic paint, they use 2-pac...

> If you actually need paint, any good autobody paint shop worth its salt will be able to fade / blend that in.
OK, I just wanted to write that I do not understand how salt helps with the blend in... but I got it now - I never heard that expression. Yes, I know how good our paint shop is:
A woman, which was in no psychological condition to drive just reversed without looking into our S-Type, while shooting out of a parking spot: Front fender. The paint shop did magic. Other insurance paid. It would have been many thousands of dollars...

One possibility is that I pull out the dent as good as possible, use filler, use paint, and then I put a Jaguar badge over it. But I will also ask for a quote from the paint shop.

Old 10-31-2023, 09:18 PM
Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

I don't what these dent and fix companies know that we don't. BUT, they sure do know what to do. I have a very expensive dent removal set of tools. I can't come close to what these pros do with the same tools.

joycesjag (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 02:41 AM
Received 281 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by davidladewig
I don't what these dent and fix companies know that we don't. BUT, they sure do know what to do. I have a very expensive dent removal set of tools. I can't come close to what these pros do with the same tools.
The difference is they practice it 8-10 hours a day

davidladewig (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 04:10 AM
Veteran Member

> The difference is they practice it 8-10 hours a day

That's probably it - although this does not seem to help when it comes to politicians...

PS: I tried all day today pulling that dent out. I applied that lever to the "hot glue patch" about 30-40 times. Nothing. I assume that is because the D-pillar is especially think. I also tried to get access from the backside by removing all the rear seat and the rear side upholstering and the rear seat belt: No dice: That is a roundish (in x-section) D-pillar without access and I would not be surprised if the material there would be especially thick (thicker then the rest) to be solid enough in case of a roll-over.

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 11-01-2023 at 04:17 AM.
davidladewig (11-01-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member

Update: Using a sliding hammer dent puller - and working the Jag with it for 2 days - I was able to reduce the depth of the dent.
We decided to leave it at that and we got a quote from a repair shop that says AUD$350-400. We agreed. It's just that that paint shop is that good, that we have to wait until Mid-January.
As mentioned before: I could fix that myself, but it would not look THAT perfect afterwards.

And meanwhile - to make it short - I figured that the police knew about the stone-throwers since a year, plenty of cars got damaged, there is always the possibility that innocent people get killed in their cars, the location of where they throw the stones is next to an Aboriginal settlement, everybody knows, what kind of people are throwing the stones, but as it is here, nobody is allowed to say it out aloud, the police is not doing anything and claims not to have manpower for this. I complained with the local MP who passed it on to to top of the chain in the police force. I went above and beyond of what one could do here, but I am very confident that all that will lead to absolutely nothing, as neither police nor courts nor politicians will do anything about this and thereby teach those stone-throwers here that respecting the law, respecting other people and other people's lives and other people's property is absolutely optional...

And another update on the suggestion I received above to have a look at temu: I looked at TEMU,com meanwhile...:
For once I noticed that there are links on Facebook-Marketplace to "FANTASICAL" cheap offers on TEMU - I know that these paid advertisement links on facebook are kind of guaranteed to be scams, plus my wife confirmed that there are a lot of very cheap offers on TEMU, but the problem with those is that after you pay, you will never receive anything. Hence: Maybe there are a few legit sellers on TEMU, but apart from that TEMU is a place where A LOT OF SCAMMERS are waiting to defraud unsuspecting customers, and for that reason, I would never order anything on TEMU...