Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Type change EPB motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question S Type change EPB motor

hello, me again
as you might notice, my big cat is not flawless (check my introduction to this forum)... but I like it.

Since a week my cat signals a "parking brake fault" which means it can't be applied. That's not too serious since I hardly need it, but for sure a "no-go" on technical inspection.

I have already tried a few tricks (most I found in this forum): recharged battery until full, applied re-calibration-cycle several times - to no avail. Since, I have unplugged the larger plug of the parking brake module, so I got rid of that annoying chimes, driving around without it but a permanent warning light on.

My friendly Jag-dealer said I would have to change the epb motor and made a quick quote for EUR 550,- (parts + labour). My friend, who has a workshop with lift etc, is scared after he ruined his spring compressors when changing my front shocks . Because he a) doesn't know exactly what to do and b) has no workshop manual (he usually does Alfa, VW, Audi...).

Is there anybody who could provide me with some pictures of how to change the epb motor (assembly)? That would be great! But also a technical drawing would do...

And - where could I get a new epb actuator assembly for less than those EUR 330,- my dealer is asking for it?

Thanks
Martin

Old 04-10-2014, 02:09 PM
Received 2,260 Likes on 1,844 Posts

The EPB actuator change procedure is in JTIS. Download a copy from the links at the top of the page.

I'd do a physical examination of the hardware before committing to change it. How do you know it's the actuator and not one/both of the cables or calipers?

Old 04-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Be sure he drops the diff before he tries to remove the EPB motor. He does not need to remove anything but 3 bolts and let the rear pumpkin sag down a bit so you can get the motor out. It lives right above the rear diff and can't be removed unless the diff is dropped.

Be sure and follow Mikey's advice and get the JTIS. It's free and it's the factory shop manual.

Be sure and check you cables too. Do they use salt on the roads where you live? The cables might be causing the motor problems.

Also don't forget to recalibrate the EPB motor because you will have an EPB failure code when you first power it back up. That procedure is also in the JTIS.

It's no big deal BUT you must do it right to get rid of the error.

For parts I use Greenville Jaguar here in the US. 15% off to all forum members and free shipping on anything over $25. Now I don't know if they can handle international orders or not but it would be worth an E-mail or two to find out.

Last edited by tbird6; 04-10-2014 at 02:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DukeOfStyria (04-11-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,520 Likes on 3,931 Posts

Have you checked the battery voltage, engine off, after sitting overnight is at least 12.5V? These things hate low volts.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

What message is it you have?

Is it "Cannot apply parkbrake"?......It says this in the massage centre along with an amber warning light and the handbrake symbol flashing

Or

"Parkbrake fault" with the red warning light and it won't come out of park?

I had the first..."Cannot apply parkbrake" fault on my XJ X358....see thread here...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-fault-115029/

It initially seemed only to do it once in a while and mostly always when wet / after a car wash etc etc, but then this got worse and more frequent.

It turned out to be the wiring was chafed near the diff through to the bare wires. A quick and easy fix was to repair the break and then tape up with insulation tape.

The time was 30 mins or so and the cost was almost zero.

Mine is still working great so far as a temp fix with no issues..........might be worth checking?

Good luck

The following users liked this post:
DukeOfStyria (04-11-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may consider this thread being "solved". I downloaded JTIS as suggested and reviewed the removal/installation procedure. Before I will look into changeing the epb motor, I will take a proper look myself for any loose clamps, stuck cables or obvious electrical issues - if it comes to the worst I'd be able to change the whole actuator assembly myself now.

Just a remark on JTIS installation: being IT myself I had several tries to install it on my Win 7 64bit Enterprise. JTIS itself is no issue when run "as administrator" but DAO installation doesn't even start in 64bit environment. This forum provides some hints how to get that done eventually, but there are several posts and the one "how to" I found after I'd decided to install it on the partition I have still running under XP on the very same machine...