S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Type Electric Blackout - Main Fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S Type Electric Blackout - Main Fuse?

All the electrics on my 2006 'S' type have blacked out. Battery is 3 months old. Prior to loss of electrics have been having an intermittent fuel pump error message only when the fuel level was below a quarter tank. When I got this message the fuel tank indicator when back to zero even though fuel in the tank. The car's performance was never affected when this error was showing.

Not sure whether the fuel pump error issue is relevant to my electrics blackout and the thought also occurs that maybe a main fuse has blown - is there such a thing? Another possibility is that a battery connection is bad.

The failure was instant - i.e. no symptoms of the (new) battery going flat. One minute all the ignition lights and warnings were showing brightly when I switched on, then nothing - complete blackout!

Problem is that I cannot get to the battery (at least I cannot figure out how) since the electronic switch for the boot that is inside the car is now not working. The other problem is that the car is backed up close to a wall so I haven't the space to get behind and have a close 'squint' at the boot lock from the outside so I'm not completely sure whether there is a-key hole - I certainly cannot feel one with my fingers.

Can anyone advise, is there a key-hole? If not, is it possible to get entry to the boot through the back seats without damaging them so that I might operate the boot lid from the inside and then get access to the battery in the usual way.

If I am unable to start the car I'll have to get the car recovered and there will be a further complication - the electronic parking brake is on - so can that be released manually? - And of greater concern, how do I get the gearbox into neutral from park without power to the ignition?

Would very much appreciate advice to solve this multi problem.

Frank, Dubai

Last edited by hibernianscribe; 07-13-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

There's certainly a keyhole on the cars up to some date (2005 or so) and I expect on all of them. No matter how close it's parked you could get a mirror and look.

It's quite well hidden! People have failed to notice their car's keyhole.....

On my car it's slightly right of centre and a bit lower down than people tend to expect (which is why they miss seeing their own).

You can also get in through the rear seats.

You could apply power via any decent power connection (alternator, highish value fuse, etc).

Chances are your battery failed, or was flattened for some reason.

If towed you must lift the rear (awkward but doable in your situation) or the entire car (also doable).
E.g. perfectly possible to jack rear up from both sides and then move entire car while on 2 jacks. Not normal but doable.

I would expect any towing to be with the rear up, so EPB is irrelevant at this stage. As is Park.

Last edited by JagV8; 07-13-2011 at 01:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hibernianscribe (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 01:30 AM

Many thanks for that quick reply. Once I get in and if I find the car will have to be towed, any suggestions on release of the handbrake and getting the auto gearbox into neutral? F

Old 07-13-2011, 04:19 AM
Veteran Member

As I said, you won't need to do that because the rear should be off the ground if towed.

But you can release the EPB once you have power and that I already explained.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:41 AM

for the record I found the key-hole. doesn't much look like one and easy to miss. It is situated quite a long way to the left of the centre of the boot lid, adjacent to the number plate light.

So with boot open I jump-started the engine - yes, the battery had failed - so much for a Bosch battery that lasted 3 months when the previous Jaguar-supplied battery lasted 5 years. Normally the expected life of a car battery in the Middle East is no more than 2 years!

Old 07-14-2011, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member

3 months is terrible!! I hope you don't have a fault but so long as you don't then I would expect them to replace one that failed so soon.

Interesting that your car's keyhole is on the opposite side to mine, but it's good you found it.