Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S type electrics

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: S type electrics

Pal, I've never heard of anyone doing this but it would be a great feat. Should you be able to, at least let us in on the info.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: S type electrics

Tony,

Your issue may not be as bad as it seems.

One terminal of each rear lamp is fed with +12V when the ignition is switched on while the other terminal of each lamp is "floating" (i.e., not connected) or is connected to chassis ground through a solid state switch in the rear light module. I assume you measured the voltage at each of the 7 wires with respect to chassis ground. When you selected reverse, the rear light module effectively connected one wire of the reverse lamps to chassis ground, which lights the lamp and also causes the voltage measured at the wire that was grounded to go to zero. If you measure the voltage across the two wires to the revese lamp, you would see +12 V when the revese lamp is lit.

It appears that the controller for the rear parking sensors wants to "know" when the transmission is in reverse (for obvious reasons), when the lights are on (unknown reason), and when the brakes are applied (probably used to determine that the velocity of the car is decreasing). The "feed from 12V auxiliary circuit" supplies power to the electronics and sensors when no lamps are on. Depending on how the module is designed, there are two possibilities: (1) you may need to add two small relays to isolate and invert the logical sense of the "reverse" and "stop" signals to the controller , or (2) you can obtain the "reverse" and "stop" signals directly from the voltage across each of these lamps. More information on this system would be helpful to decide the next step. Are the instructions for the parking sensor system available on line? Can you supply a link?

Mark C

ORIGINAL: tony.harper

The instructions state that I should find a +ve feed from the reverse light, side light and stop light as well as a feed from an accessory circuit.

Once the ignition is switched on, all 7 wires that lead to the OS rear light cluster all become live. And then when I select reverse, on of them then loses it's current.

Many thanks TH