S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S type engine cleaning questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default S type engine cleaning questions...

Hello all,

This Sunday I'm heading to the British Car Day in Oakville - it's the place to be this weekend for British car enthusiasts.

I'm planning on detailing a part of my car I've never had the courage to detail before and that's the engine compartment. I've picked up some Solder Seal Gunk Engine Brite for the job, but I'm a little leery of spraying the engine with a lot of water.

So my question is - what areas of the engine compartment shouldn't get wet? What should I cover over before spraying? Are there any hidden "don'ts" I should be aware of under the S type hood?

I've read JimC64's engine cleaning FAQ which has been really helpful, but wanted to touch base with the rest of you S type owners for specifics on our car.

Cheers!
Rob

Old 09-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Rob, before this gets moved, I know that Jeff (JOsworth) and myself are the only ones thus far that have the gahoonies to put water into the engine bay area. Use a trickle of water and avoid the TB. I have "rinsed" Joyces engine compartment a few times with no probs. Do not use any type of preasure washer or direct spray at any of the electrical connetors.

And as always the dust bunny police will be watching this thread for pictures and the culprits!

Old 09-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

BTW if you proceed with this do it a few days before the show, there are some areas that you just can't get into to get all the water off (or out of). A days worth of of driving will dry those areas. I use Formula 2000 (Turtle Wax spray) after the rinse off, makes everything look really puuuurrrrrdy and shiny!

Old 09-17-2010, 09:26 PM

No pressure washer - check.
Fine stream of water - check.
Avoid electrical components - check.
Days worth of drying - check.
Brass ***** - check.
Eliminate all dust bunnies - check.
Obtain jag dictionary to determine what "TB" is - check.
Photograph everything - check.

Turtle Wax Formula 2000 - er, back to the store tomorrow.

Thanks for the input Rick! I figured I'd post in the S type forums first to elicit feedback on our specific car first, despite it being a detailing question.

Rob

Old 09-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

TB equates to Throttle Body, one of the main issues of our 3.0s going into Limp Home Mode.

careful Danielson......

Old 09-17-2010, 10:05 PM

Thanks for deciphering that for me! Now another question then - I've left my JTIS disc at my brother in laws. Where would I find the TB? (Sorry, dumb question I know)

Rob

Old 09-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

I have washed my engine a few times. The last time I did power wash it but I used to work at an auto auction detailing cars so I pretty much know what areas you can lay into and what ones you have to be gentle with. I always go to coin wash with the power washers cause they arent really that powerful compared to some of the ones I've used (have stripped paint with the ones at the auction). I just give it a good spray of some purple cleaner on the dirty areas then rinse. If you do that and get her good and clean, you dont really have to be hard on it again everything should just spray off once you get a cycle going. I also use interior detailer on all my plastics. I use a water based as I dont really trust the silicone based ones under my hood, they dry out your plastic if you dont keep it always sprayed with it. I just put a light coat just to give it a little shine. I also run it with the hood up while I'm drying off the car to let it dry up some. I also pick a really sunny day and do it in the middle of the day just to further help the drying. Been doing this to my cars for over 10 years and have never had a problem from washing under the hood. This was about a week after detailing it so its a little dusty.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Vance on our 3.0s, there has been much discussion on what the major factor is on getting the cursid limp home. It seems the electrical connection at the throttle body shorts when driving even in light rain on some of the members vehicles.

Rob the TB is located up front, open hood, to the front right you have the air filter box, then the black plastic tube from there to the silver metallic thingy, the silver metallic thingy is the TB. It has a electical connetor to the right of it. I am sorry I do not have a picture of it as I am on Joyces puker and we have no pics on it, kinda like leaving the JTS at my sister inlaws .

Old 09-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Vance on our 3.0s, there has been much discussion on what the major factor is on getting the cursid limp home. It seems the electrical connection at the throttle body shorts when driving even in light rain on some of the members vehicles.

Rob the TB is located up front, open hood, to the front right you have the air filter box, then the black plastic tube from there to the silver metallic thingy, the silver metallic thingy is the TB. It has a electical connetor to the right of it. I am sorry I do not have a picture of it as I am on Joyces puker and we have no pics on it, kinda like leaving the JTS at my sister inlaws .
Ah I see I wasnt aware of the problem the 3.0s have. Got to love the electronic throttle body. Well I was bored so I found this about waterproof electrical connection maybe someone wants to try it out and see if they have any luck. Its from a guy with a Jeep and I know alot of those guy try and waterproof everything for fording rivers. I'll have to see if I can find out what the guys use on our vehicles that waterproofs. Its like a hard silicone that they put over that waterproofs but is easy to peel off for repairs.
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/20834391...cal-components

Old 09-18-2010, 05:05 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Spitfire
So my question is - what areas of the engine compartment shouldn't get wet? What should I cover over before spraying? Are there any hidden "don'ts" I should be aware of under the S type hood? Cheers!
Rob
As Rick mentioned... I am the other one that takes a hose under the hood... I personally use Gunk Engine Brite as well.. about twice a year..
I was going to stop but just couldn't. To me, a clean engine is a happy one..

Now take the following for what it is... When talking with the service manager over a seeping line...He did say "now don't go washing everything under there, there are a bunch of electronics".. I'm sure he meant for me to not get too aggressive in getting the gunk off. He is also the one who said it isn't a problem to wash and detail under there.. They do it all the time.

So, I wouldn't "silicone" any connections. I would at some point go through the electrical connectors and make sure the silicone rubber connector seals are in good condition and even dab a bit of electronic grease on the mating ends to make sure that they are tight and water proof.. Remember, these connection systems are designed for harsh environments. (The connectors is what the company I work for distributes around the globe)

So, I say, go for it. My suggestion is to use a nozzle like I have that has various spray settings (like 5$ at Home Depot). Use the "jet" setting for any greasy spots and "shower" for the majority of the cleaning tasks..Also, the under tray just loves to hold water, so if you don't want to smell cleaning fluid for about a week I would take it off before washing.

The detailing spray afterwords is a matter of preference.. I personally don't use the stuff.. I prefer a clean natural look over the "shiny" look. But again... a matter of choice..

Hope it helps... and like Rick said, Pictures!

Old 09-18-2010, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Also, the under tray just loves to hold water, so if you don't want to smell cleaning fluid for about a week I would take it off before washing.

EXCELLENT point Jeff, I forgot all about!

"a clean engine is a happy engine, a happy engine is a clean engine" hee hee

Old 09-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts
Old 09-18-2010, 08:44 AM

Thanks for all the input guys - I really appreciate it!

Gus - I liken your "spray your engine until it shakes, and then don't spray there" kinda like pulling the pin on a hand grenade and standing there to see if it blows up! LMAO! I joke, but I'm going to do it anyways. lol.

Well today's the day. I'm going to crack the bonnet, hose in hand and stand there probably for 15 mins before I pull the trigger. And no worries - the camera will be in the other hand

Will let you know how I make out!

Rob

Old 09-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

Although I've been washing various engine compartments for decades with a can of Gunk and a garden hose, I'm not willing to take the chance with our S-Type. My wife suffered the dreaded limp home mode in May of last year, and it was attributed to moisture in the throttle body. The throttle body and mass air flow sensor had to be replaced, fortunately under factory warranty at that time. Out of pocket, it would have been a $1,500 expense....

So our S-Type's engine compartment gets blown off with an electric leaf blower, then wiped down with old towels, a bit of silicone spray, and a lot of elbow grease. I've done it twice in 21 months of ownership. It's a lot more work, but a lot safer on the electronics....

Good luck with the garden hose. Let us know how it goes. And if you venture out onto the highway shortly after finishing up, be sure to stay in the right-hand lane in case the dreaded limp home mode strikes....

Old 09-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spitfire
hose in hand and - the camera will be in the other hand

How are you going to hold the cocktail?

Old 09-18-2010, 02:38 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Part of the key to this process is to have the engine running as you clean it. This serves two purposes when it starts jerking and sputtering stop because you have a leak or a problem and the other is to dry it out using the natural engine heat. This should evaporate any water lingering in the engine compartment. Blowing the area out with an air hose can only force the water into areas it does not belong. The driving it around corners is to remove water puddles that might exist. I did both my XK8 & S-Type and both survived the major event. Taking your time and paying attention to what you are doing is the key.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member

Rob, good luck on Sunday, we expect to see a pic with a blue ribbon!

Old 09-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Default Success!

Hello again! I want to thank you guys for your input on my engine cleaning project - it really helped.

I started in the morning today, around 10am and wasn't finished until 5pm tonight. I cleaned and detailed the engine, washed, clayed and waxed the exterior and detailed the interior. Needless to say - I'm sore. I took the time to have a good look around the engine bay, and anything that look the least bit "electrical" got covered in tin foil. After cleaning, I started the engine up to help with the drying process and let her sit all day to finish it off. I took my jag for a spin up and down the highway with no limp mode in sight (but still keeping my fingers crossed for my 2hr trip tomorrow)

My S type has never looked better!

Here's a collection of photos I took of my engine compartment.

Here's an overall before/after pic of my engine :

Name:  overall-engine.jpg
Views: 1441
Size:  60.2 KB

Another before and after pic :

Name:  right-side.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  48.0 KB

A photo journey around the engine bay :

Name:  engine1.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  engine2.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  engine4.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  51.9 KB

Name:  engine3.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  46.4 KB

Name:  engine5.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  35.8 KB

Just when I thought I was finished, this guy appeared. I knew Rick would spot him right away and point him out to me so I tackled him right away!

Name:  engine6.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  53.6 KB

And without further adieu, the finished money shot!

Name:  engine7.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  51.8 KB

I hope you guys enjoy the pics! For those thinking about tackling this project themselves - go for it - but plan on spending some time on your engine. You really have no idea how many nook and crannies there are in there until you start trying to clean them!

Cheers!
Rob

The following users liked this post:
Campdublanc (07-24-2018)
Old 09-19-2010, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member

Looks Fabulous Rob!!!! GREAT JOB! I am sorry I was under the impression you have the 3.0 for some reason.

tbird6 has black rubber strut caps on his S, he ordered them off ebay, they come stock on the 2002 LS and earlier models. One day when I remember, I am going to purchase 2 of them. I think "finishes" the engine bay.

Again good luck today and bring home the BIG trophy!

Last edited by joycesjag; 09-19-2010 at 08:56 AM. Reason: found tbird6 picture
Old 09-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

That looks new, fantastic job

Quick Reply: S type engine cleaning questions...