Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Type Fuel Filler

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2023, 03:34 AM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default S Type Fuel Filler

Hi everyone,

Having seemingly resolved my misfire issue, I now turn my attention to an issue that, whilst not stopping me from driving the car, is nevertheless really, really annoying. When I'm putting fuel into the car, the pump clicks off every couple of seconds. I can get literally about 10pence of fuel in before it clicks off. I'm going to get under the car and investigate, but thought I'd ask if anyone has any pearls of wisdom first!

For context, I had to get a local garage to do some welding under the car a couple of years ago. The location of the welding (rear suspension mount area) was basically touching the fuel tank, so it had to come out for the welding to be done safely. When I got the car back, it wouldn't fill up properly - the pump would click off far more frequently that it did before, but I could still fill up the car without too much hassle. Then earlier this year, I had to have a similar welding job done on the other side fo the car and so the tank had to come out again - this time I've got the car back but it now take such a long time to fill up, I'd rather dip my bollocks in a tank full on hungry piranhas than stand at the pump faffing about long enough to get a full tank.

Yes, I know I should probably have gone back to the garage that did the welding, but to be honest I just can't be bothered with the hassle of dealing with that and I quite like an excuse to get out and tinker with the car.

Edit - sorry, should have said it's a 2002 S Type 3.0

Last edited by Slack85; 07-01-2023 at 04:05 AM.
Old 07-01-2023, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 305 Posts

I had that filling issue as well. Solved it.
Sorry, can't remember, if that issue is on my S-Types or X-Type (as I hardly drive, I rarely fill up).
Anyway: Wherever I had that issue the solution was to feed the nozzle from the pump into the fuel filler opening on the car upside-down.
To better explain it: The hose connected to the nozzle would not continue downwards on the car before continuing down to the pump, but the hose would face up to heavens before continuing on to the pump... That way the pump does not click off before it is full.
I know: Whoever designed that should get flogged!

Old 07-01-2023, 06:32 AM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the reply! Unforuntately, changing the angle of the filler nozzle doesn't make a difference for me - I've tried all possible angles!
I understand that there's a vent pipe somewhere, to allow the air to escape from the tank as the fuel is put in, but I'm not sure where it is to go find it. I think the vent system uses a charcoal canister or something like that, but again I don't know where it is located.

Cheers!