S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S type Fuel filter, black surprise

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Received 221 Likes on 98 Posts
Default S type Fuel filter, black surprise

I recently change the fuel filter for a customer and did a how to. I blew back on the filter to see what came out to show the customer, black muck and gas. I think everybody should see this and where to put gas.

Jaguar HELP!: Changing the fuel filter on a 2002 Jaguar S-Type 3.0L V6

Here is a little article about gasoline

Jaguar HELP!: Chevron, Shell and BP vs the world

saving a bit of money might not be worth it, what do you think?

The following users liked this post:
Amadauss (03-22-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Completely wrong!!!

Gasoline is a commodity and MUST meet the proper specifications by law. The reason you found dirty gas from the other group of people has nothing to do with the gas and everything to do with changing the filter or doing the proper maintenance.

If it makes you feel better to pay more for gasoline keep it up but it's not needed. Much like running gas with a higher octane level than what the car needs. It won't hurt anything but it's overkill.

Do the proper maintenance on your car regardless of what brand it is and things will work much better.

The following 2 users liked this post by tbird6:
bfsgross (03-21-2012), Mikey (03-27-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 01:15 PM

Nope nope, I have people changing the filter are regular intervals but charging at 7 eleven and the gas comes out black. Is not about the gas, is about how they maintain their tanks. Ask a chemist: What happens when a highly reactant compound gets in touch with water (from humidity).

It does make a difference to put gas in better places, not the octane (you should always put what your car recommends).

Old 03-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Black surprise

I believe you are both correct. There are numerous gas stations across North America that have failed fuel storage tanks. These stations can have a problem with one at any time and may not catch it right away. Maybe not even care to acknowledge it due to the cost to remediate a leak. They can fly any banner. So the right choice may be a newer station rather than an older one and ignore the sign on the post. The big guys usually try to dump the older stations before they have a problem or get caught with a problem.

The person driving this vehicle, or even a previous owner, could have filled up from a farm tank that had not been maintained or used a dirty gas can just once. Who knows. To blame some gas station franchise over another without some sort of proof doesn't seem logical, but you may in fact be correct. Proof would be nice though.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Once you go black you never go back...

Old 03-23-2012, 08:19 AM

yes yes i agree, but my trail of thought is, you can sit and calculate what would happen if you shoot a rocket against a wall and come to a conclusion, or you can shoot the damn thing and see what happens... I just wanted to state my observations. Another thing I noticed is that when my arm comes in contact with gas from chevron it feels like alcohol, it doesnt have that burning feeling. when my arm comes in contact with 7 eleven gas it starts burning right away. I'm studying engineering at school and i asked one of my ex chemistry teachers and he said it "could" be because some chemicals when react with water to form an acid. an experiment on this would be cool though

Old 03-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

Why are you pumping gas on your arms at the fuel pump? Has "High-Test Honeygrabber" replaced Axe body wash as the toiletry of choice with the college crowd?

Old 03-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No matter which vehicle (car, truck, bike) we take to certain stations, they run poorly afterwards as if there is water in the gasoline. I just avoid those stations. I have never "looked" at the fuel to see if its "dirty". If you have a bad experience at a particular station, just don't go back there.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
Why are you pumping gas on your arms at the fuel pump? Has "High-Test Honeygrabber" replaced Axe body wash as the toiletry of choice with the college crowd?
lol

Old 03-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by daxter1987
yes yes i agree, but my trail of thought is, you can sit and calculate what would happen if you shoot a rocket against a wall and come to a conclusion, or you can shoot the damn thing and see what happens... I just wanted to state my observations. Another thing I noticed is that when my arm comes in contact with gas from chevron it feels like alcohol, it doesnt have that burning feeling. when my arm comes in contact with 7 eleven gas it starts burning right away. I'm studying engineering at school and i asked one of my ex chemistry teachers and he said it "could" be because some chemicals when react with water to form an acid. an experiment on this would be cool though
Yes but in either case you could also reach the conclusion that walls are dangerous because they consistently cause rockets to self-destruct and should therefore be made illegal. If you're still in school learning, concentrate on the principles of gathering credible data for analysis, rather than leaping to illogical conclusions based on a few crumbs of evidence. The internet is already full of garbage and myths, we don't need more.

Also, I think cross-posting is sort of frowned upon.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...-we-use-70256/

Last edited by Mikey; 03-27-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

If you're still in school learning, concentrate on the principals(?) of gathering credible data for analysis, rather than leaping to illogical conclusions based on a few crumbs of evidence. The internet is already full of garbage and myths, we don't need more.
Nobody else may say this, but I will. That remark serves no useful purpose and is not likely to promote the friendly to-and-fro discussion that I had thought was the objective of this forum.

DPK (12-26-2013)
Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Robinb
Nobody else may say this, but I will. That remark serves no useful purpose and is not likely to promote the friendly to-and-fro discussion that I had thought was the objective of this forum.
Don't worry I take no offense. It's a discussion forum and discuss is what we do

You see, technically water can mix with a lot of compounds, gas being one, and form an acid so humidity is the problem. I know this because I studied and finished chemistry class and you can research it too. There is water in the gas because if you let the container sit, the gas evaporates and water is left in the glass. now i can sit and explain the chemical reaction of that but nobody would read the post. what people care about, i think, is how did water get there, what gas stations should we use? etc...

Chevron, Shell and BP seem to be better at this. I say this because of simple observations, i have customers that love routines and always charge gas at these stations and get good results. The gas even smells differently. Also the irritation on the skin observation I made before. I'm still researching the subject, due to this thread and curiosity, and my ex teacher and I are going to do a couple of experiments. The plan is to pour some fuel from different gas stations (same amount of course) and see how much water is in them.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:46 PM

Thanks, and I've corrected my homophonic error above. My comments about posting 'garbage science' stand. Please read the duplicate post.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:27 PM

I say "go for it", daxter1987. Even though I suspect you may not get a Nobel prize on this occasion, many of the world's most important discoveries began with a simple observation.

However, you should be aware that water and gasoline are miscible to the extent of about 0.1%. That means that every 50 litres of gasoline could contain up to 5 ml of water, completely dissolved and undetectable until yes, you evaporate the gasoline and see what's left. Furthermore, if the gasoline contains ethanol, the level of miscibility can be as high as 1%.

Water in excess of these levels will not be dissolved and will fall to the bottom of any tank, where it becomes a perfect solvent for dirt and other particulate matter. So, the bottom of the tank gradually contains more and more discolored water, and tanks should be cleaned out from time to time. Possibly, Shell, Chevron and BP are more diligent about this then other independent sellers, but gasoline is only made at major oil refineries, and I can't imagine what additive could be causing that burning feeling you describe.

The time taken for excess water to fall out of gasoline depends on tank size, etc., but will not be less than 1 hour. So, to minimize water buildup in your own gas tank, you may care to consider that:
-> The worst time to fill up is right after the tanker has left the gas station, and
-> The best time to fill up is the morning after the tanker delivery.

DPK (12-26-2013)
Old 03-27-2012, 02:30 PM

-> The worst time to fill up is right after the tanker has left the gas station, and
-> The best time to fill up is the morning after the tanker delivery.
Care to explain why it's best to fill up in the morning?

Old 03-27-2012, 02:40 PM

Nothing too technical...

Waiting overnight allows any water in suspension that was stirred up by the tanker activity to settle out at the bottom, (hopefully) above the level of the pump intake when you fill up.

DPK (12-26-2013)
Old 03-27-2012, 03:24 PM

But i would assume that the pump is at the very bottom... ?

Old 03-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Received 6,310 Likes on 5,497 Posts

I'd guess not, simply to avoid drawing water and sludge into the pump.
I would imagine there must be a system to monitor the amount of crap in the tank so it could be removed if needed.
Does anyone know?

Last edited by Norri; 03-27-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

No, but even my home central heating oil tank had an equivalent to avoid drawing water, rust etc into the pump & jets.

(Deliberately tilted slightly with a drain at the low end and the oil drawn off at the high end.)

Old 03-27-2012, 06:42 PM

I know from personal experience that the fuel is carefully monitored before going onto the truck at the refinery and gain as it's delivered to the retail outlet (customer). Please go watch the process from start to finish if the station owner permits it.

The quality of the fuel in the underground tanks is monitored for many reasons- but the most important by a long shot is to detect and address soil contamination from a leaking tank. If water can leak in, fuel can leak out. Repair costs, legal fees and fines for soil contamination events and subsequent cleanup can run into the hundred of thousands of dollars.

Yes, sh*t happens at individual stations big and small but to propose that a national chain of retailer would play secret conspiracy games with quality standards is naive indeed.

Quick Reply: S type Fuel filter, black surprise