S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type immobilizer problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 07:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S-Type immobilizer problem

Hello everyone, I currently have a 2004 S-Type 3.0 V6 (factory release in 2002), on which I have a problem. To begin with, I have a 3rd key given to me by the previous owner and not associated with the vehicle. Until now, I unlocked the car directly from the lock and I had 7 seconds to put the key in the ignition before the alarm went off.

For 3 weeks now when I unlock the car a beep is heard in the passenger compartment and when I insert the key and turn it to start the alarm sounds, the car does not start and the message "steering column locked" s displayed on the dashboard. Everything I do after that sets off the alarm, open the hood, a door, the trunk... All set off the alarm.

So I first changed the battery which was dead and I reset the system with a plus ground. This didn't change anything.

Then I changed the batteries of the 3 remote controls (the main one and the emergency one did not work before and the 3 did not associate with the vehicle) and there, change!! Old keys unlock and lock the vehicle remotely. But when I open the door always the same beep and the alarm starts.

I therefore ask you if any of you know know this problem and what to do. I think it comes from the immobilizer, but I prefer to be certain.

PS: I am French and English and me these complicate (thanks Google trad) so if I am not clear or for any other information tell me and I will try to do better.

Old 02-15-2023, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 1,464 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Hope we can be of some help.

Originally Posted by AbelJag
I have a 3rd key given to me by the previous owner and not associated with the vehicle.

Sounds like this 3rd key is making things worse. I'd put it away for now and stick to the other 2.

Until now, I unlocked the car directly from the lock and I had 7 seconds to put the key in the ignition before the alarm went off.
Even that's not right. Not sure what is happening.

I think it comes from the immobilizer, but I prefer to be certain.
You can test the status of the anti-theft system. The red indicator light (at the base of the windshield, near the defroster ducts) will flash out a code if any problems are stored. Here's how the light is supposed to behave if all is good and no faults are present:

First, lock the car with the key fob. Press the lock button a second time to set the alarm system. The horn should chirp once. Watch the little red light. It should flash once every few seconds or so to show the system is armed. Now press the key fob unlock button twice to unlock all the doors. The red light should go out. Now hop in the driver's seat and turn the key to RUN (Not start yet). The red light should come on solid ONCE for about 3 seconds and then go out. If it flashes anything after that, you've got a stored fault.

Somewhere we have a table showing the fault codes. But in the meantime, see if you can retrieve the fault codes by observing the light.

The following users liked this post:
AbelJag (02-18-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 03:16 PM
Received 6,336 Likes on 5,521 Posts

Originally Posted by kr98664
Somewhere we have a table showing the fault codes..
Here you go.

Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by Norri:
AbelJag (02-18-2023), kr98664 (02-15-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 09:53 AM

Hello, suddenly after trying I no longer have the alarm and the red dot lights up once after having put the key in position 2, then no longer lights up. My I always have on the dashboard "lock steering column" I can still turn the steering wheel. and the car still won't start.

I don't see what it could be. I presise when I did this with the first vehicle key. And also the battery and always disconnecting I reconnect it just to try because unfortunately I don't have much free time to try and it's cold at the moment.

Thank you anyway for the info I did not know that we could see the alarm code like this.

Old 02-19-2023, 10:34 AM

Hello, I inform you that the problem is solved. Don't ask me how, I don't know. I arrived, plus steering column code, and she started. Thank you for your help anyway.

The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (02-19-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 370 Posts

Hello, I inform you that the problem is solved. Don't ask me how, I don't know. I arrived, plus steering column code, and she started. Thank you for your help anyway.
you got a love it when things work themselves out. Right now I have a similar issue with my S type where the red light on the dash used to blink when it was locked but now it’s not after I did a bunch of module programming. I think I may have turned it off by accident, curious where you are located. I’m not sure all vehicles are equipped with a steering wheel lock. I don’t think mine has one (im in the US) because it never locks and the module for the steering column locking mechanism is X’d out when I look at the module mapping using the SDD program.

Old 02-20-2023, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 854 Posts

electric column lock is a european proofing thing. if your transponder is bad or the transceiver is acting up you will get this message.

easy to just code the column lock module out of the cluster but obviously it’s not gonna start if you have another problem.

Last edited by xalty; 02-20-2023 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-21-2023, 02:06 PM

I wonder if I don't have a column locking problem, because she's doing it again. When I got in the car, the column wasn't locked, and I had to turn the ignition off to hear the steering column lock. And then I was able to start.