S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Type LSD? Lincoln LS Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 04:12 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Yep Continental Teves, but I don't know any more than that.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

OK then I'll pass that along. If anyone has any more information than that or different information please post it.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question about rear diff for my 02' S-Type 3.0

I've read most of the 18 pages here and it was cool to see your heads come together on this. I am in need of a diff or a rebuild. I'm in Portland Oregon and I'm on a very insanely tight budget. Any advice to point me in a direction? I don't care if I put in a used one either, but I don't want to spend $400.00. Looking to get closer to $200ish.

Thanks.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Someones Addiction
Question about rear diff for my 02' S-Type 3.0

I've read most of the 18 pages here and it was cool to see your heads come together on this. I am in need of a diff or a rebuild. I'm in Portland Oregon and I'm on a very insanely tight budget. Any advice to point me in a direction? I don't care if I put in a used one either, but I don't want to spend $400.00. Looking to get closer to $200ish.

Thanks.
I would look to see if you can find a used one with lower mileage. Just be sure to match the same gear ratios. You should be able to find a decent one on E-bay for around $200 + shipping. I purchased a couple high mileage ones for $60 each to get the rear covers for my 8.8 LSD conversion.

There are a lot listed on E-bay right now.

It will be a bunch of work to swap it out so be sure you purchase a good one, or one with a guarantee.
- Pull the axles. (Can be a PITA to get them to come out of the Carrier)
- Undo the drive shaft.
- remove the 2 bolts in the sub frame and the mount bolt.
- Drop down onto the ground a 60 pound mass of metal!!!

The hardest part will be to get the axles out. Dropping the pumpkin is fast and easy.
While you are at it you should check out the CV joints and be sure the axles are still good. It be a bummer if you do all the work only to have an axle go bad soon after the swap

Old 07-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Well, my diff's been a little noisy on deceleration since I've bought it, but yesterday, driving back home from an exotic car meet and cruise, I heard a POP/BANG from the rear, and bearing noise, thought it might have been a rear tire, but bope, definitely the diff,

parked it, going to drop the diff this week, just wondering if anyone's had their diff rebuilt, what parts you may have used, etc, cambo, maybe you can chime in,

but yea, i will keep everyone posted on my progress, going to price things out after its all apart,

Now would be a great time for a quaife upgrade but eh... the STR is just a cruiser, too much coin to justify on that right now,

whatever happened to the test diff from DTS? is that thing still kicking over with them?

Old 07-02-2013, 05:10 AM
Veteran Member

If it's a budget issue buy a used one and put it in yourself. A bit of a crap shoot ...

If you're going to do a full top flight rebuild I'd bite the bullet and put the Quaife in. It's not that outrageously priced. I paid at least that much to have the ratio changed in my 90 Q45 once.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:58 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

eh... Whereas im inclined to agree, while im in there, must as well upgrade, the costs just dont add up that way,
from what i can see, a rebuild in just parts may be only $100-250,
a new used diff, $250-350
quaife purchase and build, $1,500-2k,
believe me, would love to go with the quaife, this is just the excuse i need to do so... But the jag is just a sunday cruiser, i have a track car and a daily, ive been modding the jag too much lately anyways, goin to do the diff repair on the cheap this time,

Old 12-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tijoe,
would you pm me concerning your 8.8 axle upgrade research?
thanks, kevin

Old 01-31-2014, 02:01 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

So If I've read all this and the LS forum info correctly the gen1 carrier will accept a ford 8.8 Trac-Loc using the factory STR ring gear. The gen1 diff carrier will bolt into the gen2 sub-frame with just a slight modification to the front carrier attachment point and gen 1 axles rebuilt with gen2 outer spline cups will take care of the tone ring issue.
This looks not very complicated or very expensive at all.

gen1 diff carrier found for $129 on ebay
gen1 axles found for $120 on ebay
Ford 8.8 traction posi diff for $99 on ebay

I've really been wanting an LSD as of late... looks like I'm getting one

Last edited by just rob; 01-31-2014 at 02:50 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

A real bargain if it works!

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (08-17-2016)
Old 01-31-2014, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by just rob
So If I've read all this and the LS forum info correctly the gen1 carrier will accept a ford 8.8 Trac-Loc using the factory STR ring gear. The gen1 diff carrier will bolt into the gen2 sub-frame with just a slight modification to the front carrier attachment point and gen 1 axles rebuilt with gen2 outer spline cups will take care of the tone ring issue.
This looks not very complicated or very expensive at all.

gen1 diff carrier found for $129 on ebay
gen1 axles found for $120 on ebay
Ford 8.8 traction posi diff for $99 on ebay

I've really been wanting an LSD as of late... looks like I'm getting one
Not quite that simple and a little more expensive.

1. Gen 1 S-type/LS carrier will only fit Quaife LSD differential. Others don't fit.
2. For the LSD conversion you need a Lincoln Mark 8 / Ford cobra IRS carrier housing.
3. This housing will fit any 8.8 LSD differential.
4. Use the gears from a Gen1 differential with the 8.8 differential.
5. Use the back cover from a Gen 1 carrier and bolt it to the Mark 8 carrier housing.
6. The Mark 8 has 2 mounts on the front instead of 1, So you need to fabricate and weld on new mounting brackets to the sub-frame to fit . Cut off original.
7. After you have the Mark 8 installed in the sub frame, you can match up the gen 1 axles like you stated.
8. You will have to figure out a way to use a stock gen 1 driveshaft flange, or have your stock driveshaft modified to fit the stock mark 8 flange.
(4-bolt versus, rubber donut styles)
9 Keep in mind that you have to get a LSD differential that has the same spline count as the S-type axles. (I went with 31 spline for more strength rather than stock.)

Not quite a simple weekend project, but not too horrible.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:10 AM

Ok so the only major difference is you have to use a cobra/mk8 carrier and weld in two front mount points not one and have the drive shaft modded. That's still pretty simple..... Getting an lsd

Old 01-31-2014, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by just rob
Ok so the only major difference is you have to use a cobra/mk8 carrier and weld in two front mount points not one and have the drive shaft modded. That's still pretty simple..... Getting an lsd
Yes, straight forward to do, but the $ adds up fast.

I will warn you that purchasing used S-type axles with the intention of taking them apart and swapping part can be a PITA, There are 3 different versions of CV hubs that I have seen, with different spline counts, so unless you match up the right donor parts, you wont be able to fit the outer axle CV hub onto your donor E-bay 1/2 shafts.
Also, I found that several half shaft I purchased would not come apart on one side no matter how much force or impact I used. I have shattered 2 axle shaft at the splines pressing them apart. You may end up with the same problem and then have to purchase new axles. $$$

Old 01-31-2014, 12:32 PM

We will see how it goes : )

Old 02-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tijoe
Yes, straight forward to do, but the $ adds up fast.

I will warn you that purchasing used S-type axles with the intention of taking them apart and swapping part can be a PITA, There are 3 different versions of CV hubs that I have seen, with different spline counts, so unless you match up the right donor parts, you wont be able to fit the outer axle CV hub onto your donor E-bay 1/2 shafts.
Also, I found that several half shaft I purchased would not come apart on one side no matter how much force or impact I used. I have shattered 2 axle shaft at the splines pressing them apart. You may end up with the same problem and then have to purchase new axles. $$$
So where does your project stand?

Old 02-02-2014, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having run into the same problem as Joe with taking cv's apart and mismatched parts cardone was contacted but they wouldn't sell a disassembled axle but dearborn rack and axle will sell separate parts and double check the measurements comply.
Kevin

Old 02-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't describe it as standing, more like sitting in pieces....
  • I have my donor sub frame reworked to fit the Mark 8 Carrier.
  • My Mark 8 carrier is built with its Torsen LSD and sealed up.
  • A second Mark 8 carrier housing is fitted to the reworked sub-frame.
  • I abandoned using S-type hub carriers and went with Corvette C5 spindles. The sub-assemblies with hubs, and brakes are built up and ready for installation.
  • I am playing around with my custom upper and lower control arms.
  • I've been waiting several months on a couple of custom machined parts, I need to able to finish building the control arms.
  • I have inner and outer axle hubs ready to be fitted with custom axle shafts.
  • I haven't wanted to spend money on the axles until the rest of the suspension is together.
  • I am using Corvette based toe links.
  • I have custom coilovers selected, but haven't wanted to spend the money to buy them until I really need them.
  • Slowly working on designing a 3-piece sway bar.

I will be even more distracted in the coming months because I just purchased another 03 STR that needs engine work.

Last edited by Tijoe; 02-02-2014 at 10:00 AM. Reason: correct spelling errror
Old 02-03-2014, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tijoe

I wouldn't describe it as standing, more like sitting in pieces....
  • I have my donor sub frame reworked to fit the Mark 8 Carrier.
  • My Mark 8 carrier is built with its Torsen LSD and sealed up.
  • A second Mark 8 carrier housing is fitted to the reworked sub-frame.
  • I abandoned using S-type hub carriers and went with Corvette C5 spindles. The sub-assemblies with hubs, and brakes are built up and ready for installation.
  • I am playing around with my custom upper and lower control arms.
  • I've been waiting several months on a couple of custom machined parts, I need to able to finish building the control arms.
  • I have inner and outer axle hubs ready to be fitted with custom axle shafts.
  • I haven't wanted to spend money on the axles until the rest of the suspension is together.
  • I am using Corvette based toe links.
  • I have custom coilovers selected, but haven't wanted to spend the money to buy them until I really need them.
  • Slowly working on designing a 3-piece sway bar.

I will be even more distracted in the coming months because I just purchased another 03 STR that needs engine work.
A glutton for punishment it would seem ... clearly you enjoy this stuff so keep having fun!

Old 05-01-2014, 05:58 PM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi all just been following this thread for a while and wanted to ask a few quick questions

Is the STR/S type diff the same as an X350 diff?

If so I have been emailing Janice at phantom grip

I am about to change my diff gears have bought a complete diff 3.06 ratio stepping up from 2.87

I wanted to put a LSD in but after following this thread seems not a happening thing so decided to go with the phantom grip

I don't race the car its a standard XJ8 4.2 with custom exhaust high flow cats air box and and diff ratio change planned did this on my XJR6 from 3.24 to 3.54 best power mod I did on the car so was planning to do the same with the XJ8
Only thing the XJR6 came with a LSD so I only needed to shim the plates and make a billet crush tube to handle the thrashing I was planning to give it
Now the XJ8 4.2 is getting the same treatment but from what I can gather the LSD options are non existent unless I go to a Quaife which I don't think the car warrants being just an XJ8 with some mild mods

They quoted me $499 US for a custom Phantom grip if they don't have a model on the shelf for or $329 for an off the shelf unit
only problem is they need a diff to measure up and as I am in Australia this again will make the cost prohibitive

I was wondering if the diff centre that got purchased for the LSD experiment was still floating around and if it was I could pay for it to go to phantom grip for measuring up to see if it can use a off the shelf Phantom grip or needs a custom made unit either way there will be an option for any other member's to use a phantom grip if they choose to do so once the measurement's are taken

Old 05-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

I am about 90% confident that the XJ350 uses the GenII differential, same as the the newer model S-types.

You could fit the Mark8 differential with a selection of several LSDs but would need new axles and perhaps have to adapt the driveshaft.
You could put in a Gen1 differential with Gen 1 style axles. Yours axles might be longer, not sure.

Or you could put a Quaife into the GenII housing.

Don't know anything about custom Phantom grip.

You probably will trip all sorts of codes in the car by changing the rear end ratio. Especially if you have a ZF 6 speed trans in it. Still don't think anyone has figured out how to reprogram the control module.

Quick Reply: S Type LSD? Lincoln LS Install