S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Type LSD? Lincoln LS Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

I've got the feeling that some grinding will be necessary to fit a LSD into our differentials. Regardless, we will have a LSD one way or another.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Default Pressure on spider gears

Originally Posted by stypernut
Has anybody used these guys? Phantom Grip
Quoted me $400 to fit to an STR diff
Seems this differential is all about pressure locking up the spider gears?

Last edited by bfsgross; 12-28-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

Got it! Everyone who wanted to donate the initial "seed money" has paid in full!

Now... The waiting game... Hopefully Eric will be able to get some good news back to us in short order with a solid LSD that will lay nice with the native DSC / TC...

Oh I hate the waiting part... ;-)

For those interested I will post the tracking info from Duke when I get it. He said he would try and get it out today if at all possible!

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (12-28-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

On Monday I'll call Eric (DTS) to give him heads up that a Jag differential is to arrive at his shop. Please, someone remind me to do this.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Default Our differential is on the way!

As promised folks, here is the shipping / tracking information for our new diff!

I dont think it has registered yet with FedEx but at least we will be able to follow it on its way to Detroit!

EURO CHOP SHOP has sent you a package via FedEx Ground®.

Shipment was sent to:

ATTN Eric
26400 Groesbeck Hwy
WARREN, MI 48089-1541

The tracking number is: 877241915004613
Track this order online: http://www.fedex.com/Tracking?action=track&tracknumbers=877241915004613 &cntry_code=US

Thank you!

(Reference number: XAAP 190 differential )

Old 12-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
cbharley, just sent $50 to your paypal account.
Hmmmm..... I dunno guys..... This actually looks like it could work.
Anybody have any fhe?

Old 12-29-2012, 05:09 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I lost track a bit?
Can you post where to send donations again? Or is it all paid for now?

Dennis; Please read this thread. Your Gen I car already has a way to do this. Please read the LS site. Many Gen I LS's have installed the LSD as it is pretty cheap on that version of car.
Thanks clubairth1,
I had already read this thread in its entirety, I must have missed the reference. I'll look some more, but I'm pretty new here and don't know my way around yet. Search often comes up with too many hits to be really helpful.

By 'LS site', do you mean
http://www.lincolnforums.com/forums/...and-ls8-forum/
?
There is a lot of stuff on the web and many search hits are completely useless until one knows exactly where to look and what search parameters to use...
a link or two would be a big help if available. TY!

Last edited by dpasek; 12-29-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 392 Posts

[By 'LS site', do you mean
http://www.lincolnforums.com/forums/...and-ls8-forum/
?
There is a lot of stuff on the web and many search hits are completely useless until one knows exactly where to look and what search parameters to use...
a link or two would be a big help if available. TY!]

Dennis.

There are 3 to 4 discussions on LSD for the Lincoln LS on the "Lincoln Versus Cadillac" Forum.

This is their latest discussion on Gen 1 and Gen 2 carriers and LSD:

GEN 2 with LSD? - Lincoln vs Cadillac

Old 12-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Quote:
cbharley, your paypal link is missing. Please post link.

I just PM you the details!

If you put up the link a number of us would donate. In the name of science, so to speak? With out expecting anything out of it. I have a feeling there will be additional costs?
I would donate!

Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (12-29-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for your offer to donate. Eric (DTS) said they'll take our carrier to mock up a LSD at their cost. If it works out then we can buy back our LSD equipped carrier minus our cost of supplying the carrier. At this time, it takes 2.5 hours to remove a carrier. Ship it to DTS for fitment of a LSD (est. $800), then reinstall. Eric indicated they'd do a group buy discount of $100 (est. $700). Let's pray this project bears fruit.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:51 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Fairly obvious it was a political decision and had nothing to do with engineering.

<snip>...

As soon as AM was sold, Jag introduced the E-Diff in the XK, which then also went into the XF, because they were now free to do what they want, rather than what they were told. And now Jag is making 550HP engines, and the XK is well into AM territory.

True story!
Here is a possibility for an engineering decision, from a Lincoln LS thread:

That's a very good point and now I understand why Lincoln used an open diff.

EVERY single rwd vehicle I have owned has had limited slip, and after driving my LS around in the snow, I find it extremely frustrating that I can't get the rearend to kick out around corners, but this is obviously not a characteristic that Lincoln wanted the car to have.
Turn off the TC and push the loud pedal enough and the rear end will kick out.

Maybe they wanted to minimize any tendency to fishtail!
But I am used to that and automatically correct. That is why I have stayed away from any front wheel drive cars. My reaction is exactly wrong for FWD.

If TC reduces throttle in the 'both rear wheels spinning' condition, the combo of LSD and TC might work better than either alone.

Attached Images  

Last edited by dpasek; 12-30-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:53 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Maybe, but I doubt it.

By the time the LS / S-Type hit the market in '99, Jaguar had already launched the X100 XKR, and the X308 XJR, both without LSD's.

If the top-end Supercharged R models didn't get an LSD, why would the lower-end executive cars? It all stems from Jaguar being told not to upstage Aston. All the pieces fit. And by the time the STR was launched, this politic was well ingrained, if the XKR & XJR don't have LSD's then the STR can't have one either.

And it's not the only time something like this happened, Porsche did the same with the Boxster and Cayman. You can't have your cheaper models cutting faster laps than the big gun 911's. So they gave the Boxter & Cayman open diffs to slow them down...

Old 12-30-2012, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting Cambo351...GM pops identical engines into the Camaro and Corvette but the Vett seems to end up more powerful. The Camaro engine is detuned as a means to not upstage the Vett.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Used to happen with computers, slowed down because you'd paid less for the lower model. Remove the slow down (more or less cut a wire) and there, instant upgrade.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:49 PM

On Monday I'll call Eric (DTS) to give him heads up that a Jag differential is to arrive at his shop. Please, someone remind me to do this.
bfsgross - Did you get ahold of Eric? If not this is your reminder! ;-)

Also looks like (according to the FedEx tracking) our carrier will be arriving at DTS on Monday the 7th...

Happy New Year Everyone!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

Called DTS this morning. Eric is out on vacation for an additional week, coming in this Monday. Rob, the service manager is aware of our project and will call me when he recieves carrier.

Last edited by bfsgross; 01-02-2013 at 11:01 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bfsgross:
Cambo (01-02-2013), cbharley10 (01-02-2013), Panthro (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

I've started purchasing various carrier parts since this thread started and I have found out a couple of other little things of note.

Visually, it appears that the rear sub-frames for all Model year Lincoln LS's are the same, other than the addition of a parking brake motor bracket in 2004. It appears that some LS owners are replacing their Gen 2 carriers with the Gen 1 carrier, and only have to change one axle. From their perspective it is a cost effective swap to get LSD, but they are still limited to the original gear ratios.

On our S-types, the Gen 2 sub frame was re-designed and visibly looks different.
I am not sure if the rear differential cover mounting hole pattern is the same between Gen 1 and Gen 2 carriers.

This makes me wonder if all the rear carrier cover mounting holes are the same across both the LS and S-types, for both gen 1 and gen 2 carriers.
Perhaps someone can find all the cover P/Ns for the LS and S-types and/or measure the bolt patterns.

Recently I purchased a Lincoln Mark 8 IRS carrier, new, 8.8 Ford Racing 3.55 gear/Pinion set, a gen 1 LS carrier, and a gen 1 S-type carrier. If I can find Gen 2 carriers for a great price, I'll pick them up as well. I am keeping my eyes open for a good price on a Torsen 8.8 T2R LSD.

I would like to purchase some rear sub-frames, there are lots of them listed on E-bay, but all of them are too expensive. $150 to $250 range, with $100+ shipping. Way too expensive for a part that is seldom if ever replaced on a car. I think that wrecking yards price fix parts these days and would rather sell them for scrap metal than sell them at what the market should bear.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member

Joe, I thought we read that the LS Lincoln LSD swap into a Gen I carrier can utilize varying gear ratios. It was the LSD into the Gen II carrier that was limited to the stock gears? Otherwise, thank you very much for contributing.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Joe, I thought we read that the LS Lincoln LSD swap into a Gen I carrier can utilize varying gear ratios. It was the LSD into the Gen II carrier that was limited to the stock gears? Otherwise, thank you very much for contributing.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I read that only one person had been semi-successful at fitting a LSD in a gen 2 Lincoln LS carrier, and supposedly it didin't last very long. The LS forum members gave up on fitting a LSD into a gen 2 carrier. They found it easier to put gen 1 carriers with LSD into gen 2 cars.

I also recall reading that the gen 1 carrier is smaller internally than a 8.8, (This is why they call it and 8.0 carrier) The smaller case/pumpkin is why we are limited to only the stock gear ratios.

Also why I eventually will be putting in a Mark VIII carrier into my 2000 s-type conversion so I can go to a 3:55 gear ratio.

It also makes me wonder what was going on in Ford/Jaguar's mind using a unique 8.0 carrier when they already had the Cobra/Mark 8 and Ford explorer heavier duty 8.8 IRS carriers. Considering the volume of 8.8 IRS carriers that have been manufactured over the years, it seems to me like that would have been a less expensive and better way to go.

In either case, in another few months, we will all know the best long term approach to getting LSD in STRs and newer Gen 2 S-types.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

BFSGROSS: I posted this link a few days ago in this thread. If you have time read this discussion. It has links to the past postings on the Lincoln LS endeavors to put in LSD in their cars. They clearly state that no one was able to successfully get an LSD into a gen 2 pumpkin.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/sho...t=limited+slip

Last edited by Tijoe; 01-02-2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Link didn't copy correctly

Quick Reply: S Type LSD? Lincoln LS Install