S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type with manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-Type with manual Transmission

Does anyone know if the S-Type was available in the US with a Manual Transmission? I am interesting in building a 2000 ish model year Jaguar for track use. It can't have AWD per the rules so the xtype is out. (I have a manual xtype 3.0) Per the rules it must also have been available as a manual from the factory in the US to be eligble to be classified.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions! If you happen to know of a 2000-2004 model that is not AWD and came in a manual please let me know the model and year and maybe a link to the car specifications!

Stephen

Old 05-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't think manuals were available in the U.S. Your only hope could be canada, I think they had it as an option..

Does it need to be a sedan?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I think they tried the manual for 1 year in the US 02 or 03 could be wrong though.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

theyre rare but they did have US cars with them:

Heres the only example on autotrader right now, the funny thing is they are located on west side of orlando about an hour and a half from my river house, i went there about a year ago to look at a Toureg they had with the premium package (air suspension and everything else) for my brother since they are hard to find with that. Seemed like nice people with clean cars overall. Not sure if they sell any with paintwork.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Old 05-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

That's interesting, I didn't think they ever sold them in the US.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An S-Type doesn't seem like a prime candidate for a track car...but that's just me.

If it doesn't have to be a jag, look into something like a 02-04 M3.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:53 AM

I have a 2003 with a manual transmission. The manual was availabe for both standard trim and the sport trim. I believe the manual was available from 1999 through 2003. The manual is a Getrag, and one disadvantage is that Getrag nor Jaguar support internal parts for the transmission. That being said, mine has been trouble free for 70K miles.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Talking

This is Fantastic news! I actually found a salvage one possibly in a flood for about 3K. Perfect to gut out all the interior anyway and turn into a racecar Looks like Arden sells a computer chip and then all we need to do is design some suspension! I am not going to purchase the salvage one at this point since the car isn't classified yet.

For now the project is on hold until I get the car classified. Once it is classified I will be going forward with it and will probably ask all of you for help figuring things out! It will be prepped for SCCA ITR class rules (www.SCCA.com)

In the time being help me look for one that is slightly damaged or possibly stolen it doesn't need windows or even if the interior is trashed let me know! (The only thing that will stay inside the car is the dashboard, and airbags will all be taken out) If you find a great deal send me a message! The cheaper the donor car the better so we can spend the money on the parts that matter! I will update everyone here with updates!

Thank-you everyone for posting... looks like this forum is pretty active nowadays which is pretty cool!
Look out BMW's the cat is loose!
StephenBlethen@RSTPerformance.bizland.com
Proud owner of my "entry level Jaguar"... 2002 Xtype 3.0 Manual

PS: Everyone is running BMW's and that's where I want to be different. Back 10yrs ago I built an Audi and everyone said I was crazy... In it's class (SCCA ITB) I have won 2 championships (1 last year in the TEAMDI Pro-IT series) and this year I am currently tied for 1! I like to be different and I like to drive cars that I love. Being a Jaguar and Audi lover at heart these are my only 2 options. Jag just happens to be the only one of the 2 that makes a RWD car

Old 05-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by cleveland
I have a 2003 with a manual transmission. The manual was availabe for both standard trim and the sport trim. I believe the manual was available from 1999 through 2003. The manual is a Getrag, and one disadvantage is that Getrag nor Jaguar support internal parts for the transmission. That being said, mine has been trouble free for 70K miles.
Yup. 2003 was the last year for a manual in the US. BTW, same for it's cousin the LS. Both the LS and S Type were available from '99 through 03 as a manual with the 6 only. V8 cars are only available with auto. The original poster said that they were building the track car, and that the rules stated that the car had to be available in that config. I hope that is true. Please don't track an original S Type stick. I don't know the numbers, but I bet US spec manual cars are rarer than the STR!

Old 05-14-2009, 11:45 AM

I find it really sad that manually trannys r a dying breed. A lot of people are offering only autos or dual clutch paddle shifters. But those paddle shifters still aren't the same to people who like rowing their own gears. I certainly hope BMW continues to offer the 5-series in stick since Audi stopped doing that on the current A6. Jaguar will probably never offer it again. Benz offers it only on the entry level models and will probably stop that too. Even Ferrari will probably only offer F1 gearboxes from now on. Just look at the new California, 599, etc. F430 was probably the last one with stick. All that is left is BMW and Porsche really. =(

Old 05-14-2009, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
The original poster said that they were building the track car, and that the rules stated that the car had to be available in that config. I hope that is true. Please don't track an original S Type stick. I don't know the numbers, but I bet US spec manual cars are rarer than the STR!
I would like to build a car to the ITR specs for SCCA competition. You mention "please don't track an original S Type stick. How come? Just becuase it is a valuable car or because it will be impossible to find parts for it? AS far as I am concerned I would basically be giving a home and a second life to a car that would otherwise be crushed. Since the car would be completly gutted and fitted with a rollcage, drivers seat ect no interior other than the dash would stay. Even the engine would probably be rebuilt before we hit the track. '

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by StephenB
I would like to build a car to the ITR specs for SCCA competition. You mention "please don't track an original S Type stick. How come? Just becuase it is a valuable car or because it will be impossible to find parts for it? AS far as I am concerned I would basically be giving a home and a second life to a car that would otherwise be crushed. Since the car would be completly gutted and fitted with a rollcage, drivers seat ect no interior other than the dash would stay. Even the engine would probably be rebuilt before we hit the track. '

Why exactly do you want a big 4-door luxury sedan as a track car?

Old 05-14-2009, 10:21 PM

Well strange as it seems I have a love for Audis and Jaguars and have my entire life. I have run in SCCA for 10+yrs and been a member for about 25. My father has run in SCCA as long as I can remember. I have been running a 1984 Audi Coupe in Improved Touring B competition for the last 10 yrs and the car is simply getting old. Within the next year I would like to build something new and Improved Touring R is the fastest class in the SCCA Improved Touring catagory. In my geographic location SCCA Improved Touring is by far the best wheel to wheel competition for Amatuer Road Racing without getting into Big bucks running in Grand Am, Koni series, or any of the other Televised racing series. I would love to stick with Audi but AWD is not allowed nor are Turbos. If I am going to spend the money and build something new it has to be a car brand that I love and I also really want RWD. That leaves Audi on the shelf and Jag as the only possibility due to the RWD "want" or "desire". I know earlier you mentioned BMW but to be honest almost all the other cars are BMW 3 series and I don't want to drive something everyone already has. I like to be different and I am not a BMW lover or enthusiest. So to make a long story short I want something I would enjoy having and I can't think of a better way to scratch a BMW than with a luxury Cat paw!

I know I am crazy but I figure if a few of you are on my side and enjoy the thrill of my attempt then I might just go for it Start looking for a stolen S Type with a trashed interior for cheap $$ preferibly one that runs and drives!

Stephen

Links to the series I am running in. I am currently tied for 1st in class in the ITB class! and I won the ITB championship last year!
(SCCA ITR is the class I am going to submit for the S-Type)
www.PROITSeries.com
www.scca.com

Attached Thumbnails S-Type with manual Transmission-jaguar-s-type.jpg   S-Type with manual Transmission-cheapdatenhis20034.jpg  
Old 05-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not a Lincoln LS? They are readily available with a 3.0L and Manual trans, same platform as the S-type and you can get them for peanuts...

Old 05-15-2009, 12:04 AM

Well strange as it seems I have a love for Audis and Jaguars and have my entire life. I have run in SCCA for 10+yrs and been a member for about 25. My father has run in SCCA as long as I can remember. I have been running a 1984 Audi Coupe in Improved Touring B competition for the last 10 yrs and the car is simply getting old. Within the next year I would like to build something new and Improved Touring R is the fastest class in the SCCA Improved Touring catagory. In my geographic location SCCA Improved Touring is by far the best wheel to wheel competition for Amatuer Road Racing without getting into Big bucks running in Grand Am, Koni series, or any of the other Televised racing series. I would love to stick with Audi but AWD is not allowed nor are Turbos. If I am going to spend the money and build something new it has to be a car brand that I love and I also really want RWD. That leaves Audi on the shelf and Jag as the only possibility due to the RWD "want" or "desire". I know earlier you mentioned BMW but to be honest almost all the other cars are BMW 3 series and I don't want to drive something everyone already has. I like to be different and I am not a BMW lover or enthusiest. So to make a long story short I want something I would enjoy having and I can't think of a better way to scratch a BMW than with a luxury Cat paw!

I know I am crazy but I figure if a few of you are on my side and enjoy the thrill of my attempt then I might just go for it Start looking for a stolen S Type with a trashed interior for cheap $$ preferibly one that runs and drives!

Stephen

Links to the series I am running in. I am currently tied for 1st in class in the ITB class! and I won the ITB championship last year!
(SCCA ITR is the class I am going to submit for the S-Type)
www.PROITSeries.com
www.scca.com
Ah well then more power to you. I also have a love for Audi's and my gf drives one. Actually my loves are Porsche, Jaguar, BMW, Audi. And some benzs. I agree it would be sweet to see a S-Type passing smaller cars on the track. I hope to start doing some driving schools soon. I figure I'll learn how the x-type and 3-series do on the track.

Last edited by Master Deep; 05-15-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Veteran member

I'm all for racing. I'm also all for restoration. My guess is you'll dig up a salvage V6 auto and turn it into a stick shift race car. Or do the rules state that it must have the correct VIN for the equipment. I only made the comments I made because if I came upon a beater 5 Speed S I would plan on restoring it due to the rarety.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:49 PM

Jeff,

As long as its the same model year than I can change or modify it as long as it is modified 100% to what the factory would do. What concerns me about converting it is that sensors, wiring and computer changes that would have to be made. that can quickly add up to thousands of dollars especially since I know absolutly nothing about the S-Type. Anyone live in the NE that wants to help me out Any knowledge will help! I had a few knowledgable people run it through the car classification process and it looks like the weight would be 3100lbs... that's a ton of gutting to be done! Especially since a complete rollcage with gussets needs to be added!

I am going to visit the dealer to get all the detailes needed to fill out the paperwork to see if it will be classified. Unless anyone has a copy of the manual and I can e-mail you the info I need to gather

Again thanks for all the interest... I really want to make this happen in the next year!
Stephen

Old 05-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s
theyre rare but they did have US cars with them:

Heres the only example on autotrader right now, the funny thing is they are located on west side of orlando about an hour and a half from my river house, i went there about a year ago to look at a Toureg they had with the premium package (air suspension and everything else) for my brother since they are hard to find with that. Seemed like nice people with clean cars overall. Not sure if they sell any with paintwork.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
I have driven that exact car. You could probably get it for a lot less than $15k. I normally drive stickshift cars, but I don't like that one too well. I think that a Jag Sedan needs to have an automatic.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Veteran member

Here's a bit of trivia. The European 2.7D S-type had a six speed manual. I wonder if that would bolt to a 3.0 or better yet, a 4.2. I'm sure it would handle the torque of the 8, since the diesel has gobs of torque. Hmmm just a thought...

Old 05-24-2009, 10:08 AM

That would be awesome! But (I know always a but ) The 4.2 makes way to much power for the class I am interested in. Its mostly cars around 200HP (BMW 328 and 330 are the most popular cars) The 240hp that the 3.0 has is actually on the High end of the scale.

Other rules prohibit anything if it wasn't available from the factory in the US market They DO allow any modification to the exhaust and Computer which I notice ARDEN has some plug and play stuff in that department Maybe they would like me to demo it on track in the US for them

Stephen

Quick Reply: S-Type with manual Transmission