Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S type - Off topic section

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Interesting, I was just selected by J.D. Powers do take part in a "very select survey" where they are asking about the purchase of my ESV. Intertesting survey mostly just asking about the hows, whys, and over all satisfaction with the vehicle. For taking the survey they have included a crisp brand new $1.00 bill (wow)!

My wife got that when we bought her BMW 1 series

Old 07-31-2010, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Mafioso, I am just wondering how J.D. pilfered my name and the vehicle make, model and year I purchased (previously enjoyed) from a private seller and we paid cash.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

hello JDS you here? simple reply....

Old 08-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Mafioso, I am just wondering how J.D. pilfered my name and the vehicle make, model and year I purchased (previously enjoyed) from a private seller and we paid cash.

The easy way... They have sattelites hovering over all the people looking to purchase a new car....

No seriously... They pay each state for a list of new retitled owners. its all public information. All you have to do is ask.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

Well fellows for the first time in a very long time, I (we) have been violated. This past weekend Joyce, the kiddies and I went to Atlanta do do some museum hopping, the Atlanta Aquarium (better known as the Georgia Aquarium) is top notch and highly recommended!

We stayed at a very nice hotel downtown with "secured" parking garage. Sunday morning I went out to the land yacht, and low and behold some amateur thief attempted a break in or possibly theft. I say amateur because the idiot punched a screwdriver in the drivers door rather than the keyhole. He left me with not only a screwdriver shaped hole in the door under the handle cup assembly, but also a tear in the steel and a baseball sized dent where he attempted to pry out the handle cup (what a moron). We carry a $1,000 deductable, so insurance is out and the estimate is close to $500, merry frickin' christmas to us! Funny thing is, we bought this vehicle with full knowledge of being in the top 5 stolen vehicles and have always treated as such. Figures the first time the vehicle isn't in a home garage since ownership, this happens.

I guess it could have been worse. if the vehicle had been stolen we would have been up dirty diaper creek, as we have 3 saftey car seats in there worth about a grand themselves and no way home.

Sorry about the rant!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Well fellows for the first time in a very long time, I (we) have been violated. This past weekend Joyce, the kiddies and I went to Atlanta do do some museum hopping, the Atlanta Aquarium (better known as the Georgia Aquarium) is top notch and highly recommended!

We stayed at a very nice hotel downtown with "secured" parking garage. Sunday morning I went out to the land yacht, and low and behold some amateur thief attempted a break in or possibly theft. I say amateur because the idiot punched a screwdriver in the drivers door rather than the keyhole. He left me with not only a screwdriver shaped hole in the door under the handle cup assembly, but also a tear in the steel and a baseball sized dent where he attempted to pry out the handle cup (what a moron). We carry a $1,000 deductable, so insurance is out and the estimate is close to $500, merry frickin' christmas to us! Funny thing is, we bought this vehicle with full knowledge of being in the top 5 stolen vehicles and have always treated as such. Figures the first time the vehicle isn't in a home garage since ownership, this happens.

I guess it could have been worse. if the vehicle had been stolen we would have been up dirty diaper creek, as we have 3 saftey car seats in there worth about a grand themselves and no way home.

Sorry about the rant!
OMG THAT SUCKS!!!

Sorry to hear that man. I had to replace a passenger side window after leaving the car at the Taj Mahal's in Atlantic City's parking garage overnight. I came out in the morning and the window looked like it had a lot of bird poop or something on it. Well I didn't think about it that much until I got the car home and tried to wash it, and realized all that white stuff was the chipped away outer layer of the glass.... Thank god someone wasn't smart enough to know you need a pointed object, not blunt force to break auto safety glass.

As far as your door... For $500 I'd look for a used door from a wreck, that was painted from the factory the right color, no amount of body work skill will ever match that. Glass swap is 20 mins, but if you find a complete door, all you need to swap is the driver's door module (4 bolts).

Take care,

George

Old 12-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,851 Posts

Rick,

So sorry to learn of your experience with the Escalade in Atlanta. I know how you feel. It absolutely sucks....

Did you discuss the situation with your hotel's management? Since their parking garage was supposedly secure, they may be willing to assist with damage repair, and may even carry guest insurance for this purpose. If you haven't approached them, it is certainly worth a phone call right now....

Old 12-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

Ok... 86 the the part about replacing the door... When I read the post a bit rushed on my phone, I didn't realize he was talking about the Escalade...

George

Old 12-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

First thing I did Jon was hit up the hotel (5 star) management, you guessed it "we are sorry, but we are not responsible for theft or damage".

George, a (black) wrecker door replacement WAS the first on my mind, but the cheapest so far $850.00 and 220 miles from here. Larry J's here in Charlotte does fantastic work, they will do the repair work. I have talked them down abit, with myself removing the inner door panel and exterior handle cup etc... oh and a bottle of Crown Royal.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

This place is dead, let's fire it up.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Picking up a new cabin filter tomorrow then taking it to my mechanic. He's going to send the throttle body in for a rebuild. While it's there he's going to change both belts and update the supercharger per the TSB. I'm also going to have the valve cover gaskets replaced. Total will be around $950, that's not including the rebuild which is $300. When I got the car I had the oil, brake fluid and rear diff fluids changed as well as all of the plugs. Aside from a transmission flush the car should be back up to snuff.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:44 AM
tdc
Received 63 Likes on 18 Posts

Holly crap this jag is really a FORD..

Ok.. is it just me? Probably is because I’m the newbie but I just figuring out that I can get just about any replacement part for my motor and trans from FORD..

OMG.. everything I’ve been looking at lately is the same as ford. Everything!..

Example:
Power steering pump
Jagurar price:
New $465
From a wrecker $145

Ford (same pump)
New $165
Reconditioned for $45

Thermostat housing
Jag ~ $95.00
Ford ~ ($35-$50)

Transmission vale body
Jag ~ $1,500
Ford ~ $250

What has your experience been when you cross referencing parts? Or have just gotten luck on my chosen parts?

Any thoughts team?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:40 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

First thing I did Jon was hit up the hotel (5 star) management, you guessed it "we are sorry, but we are not responsible for theft or damage".

George, a (black) wrecker door replacement WAS the first on my mind, but the cheapest so far $850.00 and 220 miles from here. Larry J's here in Charlotte does fantastic work, they will do the repair work. I have talked them down abit, with myself removing the inner door panel and exterior handle cup etc... oh and a bottle of Crown Royal.
Oh, wow Rick, I am so sorry to hear this. Thank goodness the scum bag(s) lacked the intelligence to actually do any real damage. Could just imagine the mayhem that they may have done had they gotten inside. Did you ask about any cameras that may have seen the perp?
Well, look on the bright side. At least you have control of the repair process (unlike me and the dreaded door repair).

Put it behind you and focus on the Holiday season with your beautiful wife and children....

Oh, BTW, Aidan has a crush...

Old 12-08-2010, 05:23 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by tdc
Holly crap this jag is really a FORD..

Ok.. is it just me? Probably is because I’m the newbie but I just figuring out that I can get just about any replacement part for my motor and trans from FORD..

OMG.. everything I’ve been looking at lately is the same as ford. Everything!..

What has your experience been when you cross referencing parts? Or have just gotten luck on my chosen parts?

Any thoughts team?
Jeeze... Did you not do your homework when you picked your car. Also, what year / engine do you have? Hint: update your signature to show it, it helps. Also, have you read the FAQ section? There is reference to Ford parts on there as well....
Ok, so here I go again...

First of all, the S Type is NOT a re-badged Ford. So, once again, here is a history lesson.....

After Ford's purchase of Jaguar the two different management teams from Lincoln and Jaguar realized that they did not have a competitive entry into the mid-sized premium space (ie BMW 5, Mercedes E, and Audi A6). So, a project was started and approved for Lincoln and Jaguar to co-engineer a mid-sized RWD car. In the process, it was decided that Ford would engineer a new premium tuned version of their Duratech V6 and Jaguar would adopt their fairly new AJ V8 for the platform. That is why the Lincoln LS (and later the Thunderbird) actually use Jaguar motors for the V8 cars. After the totally new platform was developed exterior design and interior design was left to each division to do independently. Also, suspension tuning and other touches were left to each to handle. The S Type was launched in Europe as a 1999 and in the US as a 2000. The Lincoln LS was launched mid 1999 as a 2000 model as well. Soon after, the Ford Thunderbird roadster (the retro-bird) was introduced on the same platform. This car demonstrated the extreme and expensive engineering that went into the LS / S Type since the platform made an excellent convertible with little re-engineering...

So, soon after introduction, the S Type was being criticized for feeling too much like a Ford (mainly for the interior). In addition, there were some quality bugs that were showing up (as usually happens with an all new design). So, for the 2003 model year (2002.5) all cars got a refresh. The LS didn't get as much system changes but many things still changed, including a boost in V8 HP while still keeping the 3.9L designation. The S Type went through a much greater transformation. It got all the structure updates as the LS along with migrating most components to either Jaguar exclusive parts (suspension) or shared components with other Jaguar models (dash redesign, ZF Trans, ect...). In fact, the S Type migrated away from it's Ford corporate cousins pretty drastically and resulted in a much improved car.

I know it reads like an advertisement for these cars, but they really are extremely well engineered and quite unusual given the modern car market. It is real rare these days that a platform is totally designed from the ground up for so few vehicles. Here are a couple of trivial things that further show what I'm talking about....

The new Mustang for 2005 started out as a spin off of the LS / S Type. It was determined early on that the platform components and manufacturing was too expensive for the Mustang. So, in the end, only a small amount of the lower unibody structure was used. Boy, I wish I had quick access to the Mustang drawing posted in Car and Driver that showed by color key what parts were shared....

Also, the Jaguar XF is NOT an all new car. It is a refreshed / re-engineered S Type. LOL, don't tell the XF guys! Jaguar just reworked the unibody structure to accept different suspension components and the new body shape. To be honest, they did the smart thing. When the structure is really that good, why go through the expensive process of making it all new. Instead they spent the money just making it better...

Old 12-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Put it behind you and focus on the Holiday season with your beautiful wife and children....

Thank you and done deal, thanks Jeff, why live in the past!

Oh, BTW, Aidan has a crush...
There is a loonnngggg line he has to stand in , Brooke and Brianna still ask when they can go back to the restaurant and play with Arianna and Aidan!!

Ahhh good times!

Old 12-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Veteran member

There is a loonnngggg line he has to stand in , Brooke and Brianna still ask when they can go back to the restaurant and play with Arianna and Aidan!!

Ahhh good times!
Too cute! LOL.

Oh, did you show Mom how to shift her CTS.... LOL

Old 12-09-2010, 12:15 AM
tdc
Received 63 Likes on 18 Posts

Jeeze... Did you not do your homework when you picked your car. Also, what year / engine do you have? Hint: update your signature to show it, it helps. Also, have you read the FAQ section? There is reference to Ford parts on there as well....
Ok, so here I go again...

First of all, the S Type is NOT a re-badged Ford. So, once again, here is a history lesson.....

After Ford's purchase of Jaguar the two different management teams from Lincoln and Jaguar realized that they did not have a competitive entry into the mid-sized premium space (ie BMW 5, Mercedes E, and Audi A6). So, a project was started and approved for Lincoln and Jaguar to co-engineer a mid-sized RWD car. In the process, it was decided that Ford would engineer a new premium tuned version of their Duratech V6 and Jaguar would adopt their fairly new AJ V8 for the platform. That is why the Lincoln LS (and later the Thunderbird) actually use Jaguar motors for the V8 cars. After the totally new platform was developed exterior design and interior design was left to each division to do independently. Also, suspension tuning and other touches were left to each to handle. The S Type was launched in Europe as a 1999 and in the US as a 2000. The Lincoln LS was launched mid 1999 as a 2000 model as well. Soon after, the Ford Thunderbird roadster (the retro-bird) was introduced on the same platform. This car demonstrated the extreme and expensive engineering that went into the LS / S Type since the platform made an excellent convertible with little re-engineering...

So, soon after introduction, the S Type was being criticized for feeling too much like a Ford (mainly for the interior). In addition, there were some quality bugs that were showing up (as usually happens with an all new design). So, for the 2003 model year (2002.5) all cars got a refresh. The LS didn't get as much system changes but many things still changed, including a boost in V8 HP while still keeping the 3.9L designation. The S Type went through a much greater transformation. It got all the structure updates as the LS along with migrating most components to either Jaguar exclusive parts (suspension) or shared components with other Jaguar models (dash redesign, ZF Trans, ect...). In fact, the S Type migrated away from it's Ford corporate cousins pretty drastically and resulted in a much improved car.

I know it reads like an advertisement for these cars, but they really are extremely well engineered and quite unusual given the modern car market. It is real rare these days that a platform is totally designed from the ground up for so few vehicles. Here are a couple of trivial things that further show what I'm talking about....

The new Mustang for 2005 started out as a spin off of the LS / S Type. It was determined early on that the platform components and manufacturing was too expensive for the Mustang. So, in the end, only a small amount of the lower unibody structure was used. Boy, I wish I had quick access to the Mustang drawing posted in Car and Driver that showed by color key what parts were shared....

Also, the Jaguar XF is NOT an all new car. It is a refreshed / re-engineered S Type. LOL, don't tell the XF guys! Jaguar just reworked the unibody structure to accept different suspension components and the new body shape. To be honest, they did the smart thing. When the structure is really that good, why go through the expensive process of making it all new. Instead they spent the money just making it better...

I have to admit.. When I purchased my car I did NO research on at all, I simply found what I wanted and bought it.. I’ve actually owned the car for just less than 7 years now. In that time I think I might have changed the oil once.. LOL.. Money was never a concern for me until recently; well I lost everything in the divorce, so I don't have the disposable income I used to have, that’s why I’m now my own mechanic.. That’s why the newest newbie here.. I’m just looking to save to buck and understand my car, yes for the first time in 7 years.

Thank you for the information / references / history lesson.. I’ll keep them in mind as continue to work my though my ford.. I mean jag..

TDC.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:05 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by tdc
Thank you for the information / references / history lesson.. I’ll keep them in mind as continue to work my though my ford.. I mean jag..

TDC.
Very sorry to hear of the troubles. Hope you do well. Look at it this way, you may discover that learning more and working on your own car becomes more of a relaxing outlet than just a money savings effort. That is the way it is for me...

Now, since you have a V8, it is more a Jag than a Ford... If anything, the Lincoln LS V8 owners out there can say they drive a budget Jaguar.

Oh, and one more kind reminder, be careful what Ford/Lincoln parts you get instead of the Jaguar part. Things like suspension bushings and such may fit just fine but be tuned differently, therefore change the way the car performs and feels. Just be absolutely sure when buying... I'm reminded of my Chevy Beretta way back in the 80's. Since it was a GT it had different part numbers for the suspension bushings and shocks. The suspension hard points / components were the same as the base car. They simply changed the bushings and shocks to make it the sport suspension.

Then again... other more generic parts are perfectly fine if sourced as if you had the Lincoln. I actually look at that as an advantage that the drivers of pre-03 S Type owners have. There are way less "Ford" parts in the 03 and up cars.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

So it seems this my S-type is a Ford thing comes up at least once a month around here. I agree with Jeff's analysis, but especially if you have a 3.0 you can sift CAREFULLY through the Ford parts bins and save a lot of $$.

For a lot of engine parts, as well as DCCV's IMT O rings etc, seems that Ford and Jaguar decided there should be a Jaguar Tax, selling the exact same item from the exact OEM for drastically different prices depending on whether the outer box says Motorcraft or Jaguar, and whether you step on carpet or linoleum when you walk up to the parts counter to get it.

Now that these cars are aging and out of warranty and generally dropping in value, they are getting into the hands of more DIY oriented or budget minded owners, and this is good info to have. Bottom line, the LS's and S's share the same motors. They share SOME suspension parts, brakes, Trans from 00-02, and some other ancillary parts.

Hell My X-type's horn relay failed, and I pulled it out and it had a Ford logo on it, but get this. I took it to the Ford dealer, and handed it to him, he started to type into his computer and couldn't find the part # in the system. He seemed perplexed and asked where did you get this? What is it out of? I told him and he seemed surprised that a Jag would have a Ford part in it.
So I was forced to drive the extra 20 miles to the Jag parts counter - who had to order one. I get it in a couple days, and low and behold, same Ford Branded part, same part # (In a Jaguar Plastic baggy with a Jaguar part # on it). Then I googled the part # and found out it was a Euro only Ford part, for the Mondeo. Which is why the US Dealer didn't have it.

George

Old 12-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

Rick - please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Did you do a DIY for the oil pan gasket?
I have to to that and the IMT valve seals on the ole girl...

Thanks,

George

Quick Reply: S type - Off topic section