S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Type Park Brake Fault

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default S Type Park Brake Fault

Hi there - checked forums the problem everyone seems to have is the brake locking ON. Here is the problem on my 2005 model - cruising along at about 60mph I notice the red park brake light flick on once, then the orange fault light came on together with the notification in the display.

The car is still being used but the park brake won't come on. Usual check on the fuses - all okay. Disconnected the battery [as a least invasive action]; left for sometime and then reconnected but with still no park brake; then took it to my local garage man who connected his computer to the car but could not find a fault [cables taught and did not seem disconnected]. Do I put fused power to the motor to see if it is working?

Is the motor or control unit at fault or does anyone else have any experience before it seems that it has to go to the dealer? Many thanks

Walter

The following users liked this post:
Bobby Brown (05-18-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

What happens when you attempt to engage the brake manually?

Bobby Brown (05-18-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Brooks
took it to my local garage man who connected his computer to the car but could not find a fault
Does he have jag-specific & S-Type-specific software? If not, he'd find nothing. The EPB has its own computer module and needs that special software. Without it, he'd be asking the engine about faults and you don't appear to have an engine fault.

(This is a polite way of saying it would have been a waste of time.)

Bobby Brown (05-18-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking for a shop to take my 2003 S-Type to, same issue that a lot of people post about the PARK BRAKE FAULT. Live in North metro and want someone who is experience and where I don't have to pay $250 for diagnosis from Jaguar dealer...any recommendations would be appreciated!

I changed the battery...also had the rear park brake looked at and it wasn't bad, so we didn't replace...? ANY suggestions would be helpful!

Bobby Brown (05-18-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 06:17 AM
Received 6,339 Likes on 5,524 Posts

What exactly is happening?
Have you tried the reset procedure?

Bobby Brown (05-18-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Jaguar SType parking brake fault

Hey all I have a slight problem, my 2003 SType has the dreadful parking brake fault. At first it was the annoying beeping sound when car was either unlocked or shut off and key out. Then it went from that to the light now comes on when started. The brake light and ABS light both came on. Now all three all giving me a headache. I don't want to start paying out the ying yang for repairs but if I have to I'm wanting to know the problem for sure. I tried to reset procedure but that's when the lights came on after. Maybe I did it wrong so please email me with the correct procedure and any thoughts of what might be the matter. Should I just take it to dealer !? I charged up battery also ... Thanks all who r willing to help me out .

Thanks Bob

Old 04-30-2012, 07:17 PM

Hey Walter: Before going through the reset procedure, I would try taking your battery terminals as well as the ground wire off (on the frame), clean all the connections spraying the bolt on the ground cable with a contact cleaner/lubricant before putting back on. Make sure all connections are clean and secure. Then go through the reset procedure. I had a similar issue last winter and after this never had an issue since.

Good Luck!

Bobby Brown (05-18-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member

If that doesn't fix it then almost for sure your battery is no longer good enough for the computer modules.

Bobby Brown (05-18-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 10:26 PM

Hey guys I let a mechanic (local) look at mine and he said if its not the parking brake module it most likely is the brakes/rotors/pads being worn badly. This is mostly my problem I c how it could easily have set the fault off. Don't know but i do need new brakes bad.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:41 PM

We tried the reset procedure....is there a link to other reset procedures? Thanks!

Old 07-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member

What other one? Don't think it exists.

Have you made SURE it's not power (usually battery) to blame?

Old 07-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Brown
Hey guys I let a mechanic (local) look at mine and he said if its not the parking brake module it most likely is the brakes/rotors/pads being worn badly. This is mostly my problem I c how it could easily have set the fault off. Don't know but i do need new brakes bad.
Not sure I agree. Many of us have worn rear pads and rotors down to their service limits or worse with no EPB problems. The EPB system has no idea if the components are worn or not- the calipers have a self adjusting system to compensate for wear.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

SAME PROBLEM HERE. JUST DISCONNECT THE NEG CABLE TO THE BATTERY, WAIT 10 MIN, PUT BACK ON, START THE CAR, IT WILL TELL YOU TO APPLY BREAK AND PULL UP ON ELECTRONIC BREAK HANDLE. i HAVE TO DO IT REGULARLY. Let me know how that works for you.

Last edited by Norri; 09-21-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: email removed
The following 3 users liked this post by kevin6451:
Czestnut (12-16-2013), mlstafford (05-18-2016), TxDevilDog76 (11-03-2014)
Old 09-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Talking Found the problem

Hey gang I found out why my light is on. After mechanic replaced brakes and rotors. He found that one of my emergency brake cables was snapped which most likely cause the sensor to trigger. I'm in the process of replacing both cables and hopefully that'll fix it. (Cross fingers) lol. Thanks and if it doesn't fix problem i'll be sure to let you all know.

Bobby Bee

Old 12-27-2013, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Walter Brooks
Hi there - checked forums the problem everyone seems to have is the brake locking ON. Here is the problem on my 2005 model - cruising along at about 60mph I notice the red park brake light flick on once, then the orange fault light came on together with the notification in the display.

The car is still being used but the park brake won't come on. Usual check on the fuses - all okay. Disconnected the battery [as a least invasive action]; left for sometime and then reconnected but with still no park brake; then took it to my local garage man who connected his computer to the car but could not find a fault [cables taught and did not seem disconnected]. Do I put fused power to the motor to see if it is working?

Is the motor or control unit at fault or does anyone else have any experience before it seems that it has to go to the dealer? Many thanks

Walter
Hi Walter,

this week I had exactly the same problem, i.e. while cornering the red brake light came in shortly and after that two messages appeared, being Parke Brake Fault and Cruise Not Available. After that I did try all the known resets, but at no avail.
Have you been able to fix the problem and can you give me a recommandation?

Old 12-28-2013, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member

If it's a chafing cable you'd have to hunt for it. If a bad bearing, replace. If a failing battery, replace. You may have codes stored but if in ABS module you need a jag-type OBD tool to read them.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin6451
SAME PROBLEM HERE. JUST DISCONNECT THE NEG CABLE TO THE BATTERY, WAIT 10 MIN, PUT BACK ON, START THE CAR, IT WILL TELL YOU TO APPLY BREAK AND PULL UP ON ELECTRONIC BREAK HANDLE.
Just curious, how does that work?
My EPB regularly stops working for days at a time, then once in a while it will work all day or 99% of it. I tried the battery reset and it works only when I operate the EPB the first time. The second time it immediately goes in sulk mode and won't work again.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
If it's a chafing cable you'd have to hunt for it. If a bad bearing, replace. If a failing battery, replace. You may have codes stored but if in ABS module you need a jag-type OBD tool to read them.
Thanks for all these possible answers, but how did you manage to solve this problem? I don't have a code reader for this, I can only read engine - and some ABS codes.
Most problems reported to the parkbrake can be cured by resetting the system according to the techn. instruction, but this is a different one. It occurred while driving.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Default S-Type Park Brake Fault

A warning light stating Park Break Fault has appeared on my car. The Jaguar main dealer cannot find any fault in the park brake system and tried to reset the system to eliminate the warning light but the light stayed on. They have confirmed that they cannot see anything wrong with the park brake system...it works, it holds the car and disengages correctly on all wheels. Because the new MOT rules state that NO warning lights can be on, they have reluctantly refused to give me an MOT. They have suggested replacing the park brake motor at the cost of £260, but have made it clear this might not be the problem and it will be a matter of replacing all parts to eventually cancel the warning light????? Anybody with this problem?

Old 12-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like they don't know how to read the module (or how to reset it). Change dealer (to an indy or other dealer) or splash out on a jag-type tool such as a Mongoose JLR.

Sadly a lot of dealers are pretty hopeless except maybe at new car sales. Most non-jag places have nothing that can read the module (and may or may not admit that).

You might try a new battery since the module draws a huge current and needs really good power. A battery's fairly cheap e.g. from Car Battery - Car Batteries - Motorcycle Batteries - Leisure Batteries - Cheap Prices! (they also sell on ebay and deliver).