S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type on Quickjack Lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 12:12 PM
Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Default S-Type on Quickjack Lift

I bought a BL-7000 SLX Quickjack and recently used it to change the oil and do a complete brake job on my 03 S-Type. Just thought it might be informative to share what I've experienced so far.

Having lifted three vehicles so far here are my thoughts for use on an S-Type:
- It takes time to set up and position the lifts, pump, and hoses. (longer than using a normal floor jack)
- Lifting the S-Type is easy using the large blocks that come w/the kit.
- When sitting on the pinch weld seams the car is very stable.
- As a rule I also keep jack stands under the car in case it were to slide sideways. (only as a secondary safety)
- The S-type was sitting on the jacks for 1.5 weeks. No degradation in stability was observed (sitting on the polymer blocks)
- Sitting on the polymer blocks is NOT as firm feeling as if the car is sitting on floor jacks. The car does have a small amount of give if you push/pull.
- I feel that if I pushed as hard as I could, the car would not come off the blocks.
- The (metal) lifts are rated at 7000 Lbs and are way overkill for an S-Type. (I bought the heavy ones so I could work on any car or truck. Also... the 7000 units have a wider footprint. So I know they will offer more stability)
- I see no weakness in the metal lifts. Once locked they don't rely on hydraulics and its rock firm.

My only concerns:
- On another car (Jeep Liberty) I had to double stack the blocks. That was not firm at all! I actually had the car slide sideways because the blocks conformed to each other and the cars front blocks allowed about a 75mm (3") shift! The car was stopped by the jacks frame so no harm no foul. But.... double stacking blocks is a no-no IMO.
- On another car (Honda HR-V) I had a bit of trouble getting them properly aligned in parallel. Now I use a tape measure to insure they are aligned to each other instead of using the side of the car to judge by.

Here are some pics of what its like to lift an S-Type and how I stow them in my suburbia 2 car garage.

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 01-16-2021 at 12:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by wydopnthrtl:
joycesjag (01-17-2021), kr98664 (01-16-2021), User 42324 (01-17-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,090 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Very nice, thanks for posting. A friend has a similar model and he loves it.

A couple of quick questions for ya:

1) What are your thoughts on set-up time versus just using a floor jack and jack stands?

2) What about the lack of access from the sides?

Old 01-17-2021, 06:11 AM
Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Cool

So....
1. Getting the car to this height is much quicker overall. I feel its safer too. But compared to say... just lifting the front for an oil change.. not as quick.
- On my sons HR-V it took us over 30 minutes to figure out how to align everything and double stack blocks. I plan to make hard spacers so in the future it should take less than 15 minutes. Double stacking the blocks... even though they say you can... made me very uncomfortable. Both the Jeep and the HR-V had problems due to that. Using single blocks though was quick and stable.
- To do the S-Type again I think I could do this in about 10 minutes.
- One thing to consider is that once its lifted you can raise and lower it all day long
- Its physically much easier on me with the Quickjack. (I recently had major back surgery)

2. I thought that might be a concern too. But with the car so high its now super easy to slide under it.
- Us C5 / C6 corvette guys can R&R the rear mounted transmission and torque tube w/one of these. That was a critical factor for me in the decision.
- One thing that always bugged me w/a floor jack was lifting one point at a time. I never liked how the unibody cars had to go through that much body force / deflection. Lifting at all four points equally I like much more.
- When doing the oil and brakes on the S-Type I was easily able to reach everything. Oh and I cleaned all 4 wheels and rotated the tires too... why not!
- The under panel was far easier to remove because I didn't have to work in between jack stands
- If the underside shape of the car allows.. you can turn these sideways and have some access that way.
- IMO... its not going to be a concern to get at the stuff I'd normally work on like: Drivetrain, exhaust, suspension..

Regards, Richard

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 01-17-2021 at 06:27 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by wydopnthrtl:
joycesjag (01-17-2021), kr98664 (01-17-2021), Scotlad (01-17-2021), User 42324 (01-17-2021)