S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S type R AC compressor leaking? Is this common?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 01:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most common Air Conditioner failures at our garage are condenser leaks, either through corrosion or stone(etc) impact damage.

Old 07-25-2020, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

So its an old post but right on point for me today.
my compressor on my 06 STR was leaking yellow green oil. looks like it was coming from the front maybe the meeting surface. maybe the seal. I can’t tell but it’s definitely all wet dripping from the bolts. I went and bought a used compressor from a V-6 found out in quick order that the length of the mounting tubes at the bolts go thru to mount to the engine are different lengths as showwn above. so I went out today and got me aNew compressor and I’m about to install it now. As Others have said, The STR has a frame rail in the way of the bottom two mounting bolts and the hard aluminum lines run back behind the compressor making it difficult to back the compressor out to the power steering rack side. with all the sharp metal and tiny slots and the heat (its 91 today) my 6‘6“ manly frame and large Bear paw hands could not reach up into those small areas to do much of anything except bleed.

I found a lack of information as to how much oil to put in to the compressor good I have seen where it wants you to measure how much oil was in the compressor and then add a specific amount of oil to it when you’re replacing it but that does not take into account how much oil may have disappeared as all of the Freon leaked out repeatedly over the years. My compressor had very little oil in it when I took it out.Pictures are below. I decided to flush the entire system and then add a total amount of oil to make sure that I don’t have too much or too little. The compressor I am freaking out has not locked up yet however it spins extremely easy and does not create too much pressure on the pressure port nor too much section on the suction port as compared to the new compressor that I just purchased or do you compressor that went to the V6. so I know my old compressor was rich and probably on the verge of failing as well as leaking.

So far I have removed things I didn’t need to remove such as the “overflow tank because I’m an idiot and I thought the tensioner was behind it however that was the tensioner for the supercharger. So I wasted time doing that and wasted all of my antifreeze. I did have to remove the steering rack because there is no room to get it out from the rear of the engine with the steering rack in place. Also had to remove the left side motor mount in bracket as it is also in the way. I jacked the engine up about 5 inches with some lines all the way and then to get your compressor out and now I’m about to fight it with the new compressor in. Wish me luck

Old 07-25-2020, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

Some more pictures