Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Type R - car won't react to the remote key fob after "sleep"

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S Type R - car won't react to the remote key fob after "sleep"

Gents,

First of all, happy to be here, that's officially my first post. Sadly, it's related to a weird problem I'm facing.
Car is a 2005 S Type R, full facelift. Starting from yesterday, I am facing these really weird issues with the car not reacting to the key fob (i.e. open/close/boot/lights) under certain conditions.

Long story short: yesterday I parked the car, closed it with a remote (as always), left it for a couple of hours. Getting back to the car, it won't react to the remote at all. Thinking the battery died, quickly swapped for another CR2032, cleaned all the contacts, reassembled the key, still no life it. Ended up opening the car with a key, alarm sounded, but went away as soon as I put it into the ignition. Afterwards, car starts and drives fine.

Now, here's the fun part.
1) After the key was put into ignition, the car started and I did a short drive, the car reacts to the key fob again, remotely closes/opens/etc. This will persist only for 15-20 minutes.
2) Once you park the car for a longer period of time and it "sleeps", it ignores key fob remote and you need to go all over again with manual door unlock, alarm sounds etc.
3) I have tried BOTH of its original keys, no difference. Once it sleeps, remote gets useless.
4) All happened completely randomly, no specific prior events recorded. Before this, car was in the garage for a month, but the battery was not drained.
5) Thats by far the first time this S Type R has any alarm problems whatsoever.
6) I have disconnected the battery for at least 30 minutes hoping that this would remove a "glitch", but it seems to be useless as symptoms are still there.
7) I thought the keys could have unpaired (donno why), but then they would not work at all?

Anyways, I am badly needing an advice on this. Are there any fuses/relays/blocks to look for?

Thanks ahead!

Old 11-05-2017, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

It's akin to what the car does if you leave it for about 2 weeks. (Powers things even further down than usual.)

So I wonder if it's related to that.

If it is, how/why? OK, I don't know - sorry.

But maybe some sort of power drain (or perceived drain) and it thinks it's protecting itself/you. Suppose it is, then you'd want to go hunting for a power drain / load test battery / etc.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:07 PM

What's interesting is that it behaves absolutely normal while the alarm is set - red light flashes, no error codes stored etc. The stupid thing is - once the key hits the ignition, remote is back to life.

Given that two keys o the same thing, I'm guessing thats a car glitch?

Old 11-05-2017, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quite possibly as I posted.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:54 PM
Received 8,085 Likes on 4,876 Posts

I remember the early X202 cars having this fault but yours is likely outside the VIN range.

Here is an old TSB.

bob

Attached Files
Old 11-05-2017, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I remember the early X202 cars having this fault but yours is likely outside the VIN range.

Here is an old TSB.

bob
Thanks Bob. Itm ight be out of the vin range, but the problem description is alarmingly identical. Is there an option/way to do a DIY diagnostics or reset of the DDM block? Fuses/relays/manual disconnect/clean?

Old 11-06-2017, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
It's akin to what the car does if you leave it for about 2 weeks. (Powers things even further down than usual.)
+1. What you are describing is certainly like the "unloved for 2 weeks deep sleep", but with one important difference that suggests you indeed have a fault condition.

On each of our cars of this era (my XK8 and S-Type and friend's XJ8), turning your key in the door look or boot lock of your "deep asleep" car should NOT sound the alarm, but IMMEDIATELY flash your lights, and awaken your car to react to all LOCK/UNLOCK functions via your keyfob remote.

Suggest you focus on the Jaguar TSB that Bob has referenced. It is far more likely that your fault can only be resolved by the replacement indicated by the factory.
Best wishes,

Ken

Old 11-06-2017, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
+1. What you are describing is certainly like the "unloved for 2 weeks deep sleep", but with one important difference that suggests you indeed have a fault condition.

On each of our cars of this era (my XK8 and S-Type and friend's XJ8), turning your key in the door look or boot lock of your "deep asleep" car should NOT sound the alarm, but IMMEDIATELY flash your lights, and awaken your car to react to all LOCK/UNLOCK functions via your keyfob remote.

Suggest you focus on the Jaguar TSB that Bob has referenced. It is far more likely that your fault can only be resolved by the replacement indicated by the factory.
Best wishes,

Ken
Ken, many thanks for this. Would a change of DDM then require re-programming both keys?

Also, the alarm sounds once I turn the key, take it our and then pull the handle to open the door.

Also, how do i re-pair the keys with the car? I've tried the x350 XJ procedure (with high beam flashes), but did not work on mine.
Thanks ahead!

Last edited by Sergey J.; 11-06-2017 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

Re-pair is doable with the car but to pair needs dealer tool.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Re-pair is doable with the car but to pair needs dealer tool.
Thats bad to hear. So no cheat codes with lights flashing, ignition turning, etc?

Old 11-06-2017, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Before answering your 3 questions (great questions BTW), let me also sound the warning raised by Bob earlier. That TSB for DDM replacement was for a known fault attributed to earlier Mxxxxx S-Types. A further warning, as outlined in the TSB at JTIS 419.10 and cross referenced to equally important JTIS 418.1, is that critical configuration data must be saved from existing DDM then uploaded to new DDM. I see no alternative to consigning any such DDM replacement to a Jaguar dealership using their special tool.

1st question, and while I see no reference to key re-programming being required, you should confirm this with dealership, along with their detailed quote.

Your 2nd, not so much a question but an explanation of your door opening sequence, I do understand and is reason for my confidence you have a fault condition. My point remains that "normal" operation, even if the car has descended into the deepest sleep with keyfob apparently unresponsive, the instant you insert key in doorlock and turn to unlock, the car should awaken and "flash" as it disarms . . . then, irrespective of whether you open door, car will once again respond to keyfob remote and alarm should never sound.

As to re-pairing keys to car . . . Uh uh . . . not on an S-Type and any re-programming of keys should be done with a minimum of 2 sets of keys and only by use of a fully dealer compliant tool. Hence, my earlier advice that you really will need to consult a Jaguar dealer.

Putting all this together with your posted symptoms, suggests the issue is not with your keys . . . it lies within your car . . . specifically that part of your car to which your keyfobs are attempting to talk, the DDM.

Please keep us posted on progress and best wishes for a swift resolution.
Cheers,

Ken

Old 11-06-2017, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sergey J.
Thats bad to hear. So no cheat codes with lights flashing, ignition turning, etc?
No.

Seems to me there may be a fault in the wiring, perhaps where it flexes.

Old 02-05-2020, 01:23 PM

Hi all
I realise this is an old thread but im having exactly the same problem as original poster and it's driving me and my neighbours crazy, S type R late 2002 but 2003 model year the car falls outside vin numbers of the bulletin but the fault is identical in every way. I was hoping somebody has a solution to this or some advice to help diagnose this.

Old 02-05-2020, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

Both your keys are the same?

Old 02-10-2020, 05:47 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello there,
I have the same problem with my 1999 3.0l (see my thread '1999 Electrics) and everything is pointing to a dodgy drivers door module. Until I get around to sorting this I found a solution to stopping the alarm from upsetting the neighbours. With the drivers door open, I press the lock tab on the passenger door, which activates the central locking. I then close the drivers door which then locks as well. When you return to the car, after any length of time, it will still not respond to the fob but if you open the drivers door with the key, voila!, no annoying alarm. As to whether this will work on yours, I don't know but it's worth a try until you sort out the cause of your problem.
Remember though, you shouldn't buy a Jag if you can't take a joke.
Good luck

The following users liked this post:
Norri (02-10-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 09:45 AM

Hi all thanks for the replies sorry I haven't got back sooner, Jagv8 I can confirm both keys are the same and both have worked fine for many years so unfortunately this not the problem. So far I have replaced batteries in both keys also replaced drivers door module with a used but presumably working unit then reprogrammed the keys to the new unit. Problem still the same no change at all. On the good news front as a temporary measure I have removed the fuse for the horn so at least the neighbours are talking to me again. Still no solution in sight so any ideas are still welcome.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:59 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Kansas owner

Have an '05 S type R which I love drivig but also lived with key fob that would't respond after car sits locked fo 20 minutes or so. Could open with key but alarm would sound, so had to disconnect horn.
Online suggestions included replacing the DDM. Purchaed one at minimal cost specifically for my year/model. Alas, did not cure my problems and local dealer said DDM had to be a new virgin to be properly programmed specifically for my car....but no longer have software at dealer to support an '05! Removed the door panel andn DDM. Noticed that two of the male leads from the module were badly corroded...in fact one was broken off. With some patience and careful solderig, was able to solder a couple of lead wires to the backside of the multi-in terinals and splice into the door's wiring loom.

Eureka!! Everything now works perfectly including all the special fob functions. Still have a woking (?) '05 DDM from a S type R if anyone wants it CHEAP.

Bob in KC.

The following users liked this post:
Catfan01 (02-19-2020)