S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S type R ps pump replaced. Procudure within

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default S type R ps pump replaced. Procudure within

Ok,, please refer to my first post at So you can get some background. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=25088

2003 S type R. Mile 54K

I just finished getting her back on the road.

Yes it was the power steering pump that went bad.

Cause: Doing excessive donuts. What I believe caused it, usually when I do donuts in my car I just go in one direction, this time I was making crazy eights, and when I swung the steering wheel back to complete the eights, I believe the pump could not take the change in pressure and it shot the pump out, and made it start to leak.

It was fairly hard to diagnose because, fluid was leaking but it would only leak when I locked the steering wheel either right or left, and the car had to be on the ground. So when I lifted the car & started the engine and tired to find the leak, I could not see anything even as I turned the steering wheel lock to lock. At first I was hopping that maybe I popped one of the power steering line, that was not the case..

He is the procedure to replace a PS pump in a 2003 Jaguar S type R.

• Remove the Air intake, the upper and lower air box, and any other electrical plugs that are connected to all that plastic that holds your air cleaner in place. There are a total of four plastic peaces,, there is only one 10mm bolt and some other plastic screws, clips that you need to remove..

• Remove the PS reservoir. There are two 10 mm bolts that hold this in place. There are also two PS rubber lines that need to be disconnected from the bottom of the reservoir. Be careful,, there still might be fluid in the reservoir.

• Once you have the air cleaner and PS reservoir out of the way, you will be able to see the PS pump and be able to get in there to work.

• Use a 3/8 racket on the belt tensioner to remove the serpentine belt from the PS pump gear.

• Left the car up and put it on jack stands. And remove the driver side tire, and the lower skid plate.

• Remove the lower left hand engine mount-retaining nut. (15mm)

• You will need an engine hoist. Connect the hoist to the top of the engine where the jaguar-lifting eye would normally go. I used some chain and a bolt and connected it to my engine hoist. This would allow me to lift my engine about 4-5 inches.

• There are four bolts (13mm) that hold the AC compressor in, JTIS says to remove all of them, I got away with only removing 3. You need to remove the AC compressor so when you lift the engine it does not bend any of the AC lines and so you can get access to one of the bolts of the PW pump. I took out three and loosened the last one. this allowed me to slightly move the AC pump so I could get to the last PS Pump bolt. Using the hoist, raise and lower the engine so it makes it easier to get to these four AC compressor bolts.

• Once you have removed three of the AC compressore bolts, AC pump should be hanging by one bolt.

• Using the engine hoist raise the engine all the way up and use a 16mm open ended wrench to remove the main PS pump pressure line. This bolt can be the hardest part of this job; I would recommend using a 16mm Flare nut wrench or a Crows Foot flare nut wrench. Since I did not have either of these, I just grabbed one of my old cheap 16mm open end wrenches and used my acetylene torch to bend it so I could get to this bolt, it was a pain but I got it.

• At this point the engine is all the way up, and there are only four bolts holding in the PS pump. Using a 10mm socket remove the two top PS pump bolts, next using the hoist lower the engine, then from the drivers side wheel well from the floor, using a long extension on your 10mm socket remove the other two 10mm bolts of the PS pump, you might need to wiggle the AC compressor so you can get access to one of the lower PS pump bolts.

That should be it, you should be able to remove the PS pump.

Installation is the same as removal, however make sure you replace the rubber o-ring that is on the pressure line that goes into the side of the PS pump, this is the only line that actually gets screwed into the pump, and is metal. You will remove the old O-ring. The other line is rubber and his held on by a factory hose clamp. I got my O-ring from my local part store (Pep Boys, Karagen).

Also keep in mind to be careful when you are tightening (16mm) the pressure line that goes into the side of the PS pump, not to strip it out, I would recommend using the tool I described in #10, of this guide.

JTIS says to use Derxon III for the PS pump, which is what I used.

Now that I have an extra 2003 STR pump, I will be working on rebuilding it and once I located all the parts and get it back together, I will be posting the information here for other Jaguar owners on how to rebuild a PS pump (and save yourself from the dealer and paying 550+ for a pump).

Hope this will help someone..
Please feel free to ask any questions..

Old 10-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what does it mean to do 'donuts'? like swerving?

Old 10-01-2009, 10:14 PM

take a look at this youtube thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyeTo33uG4Y

Old 11-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

anxiously waiting for how-to.....

Old 11-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 AM

Ok Guys, I have been pretty busy, so have not started my How to rebuild 2003 S type R Power steering pump yet, but once I do get it completed I will be posting the results here, thanks for your patients.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My experience with P/S pump replacement

Hi. Thank you for the tutorial. It was very helpful.
From my P/S replacement (2000 SType 4.0)
1. I did not lift or hoist the engine. I can see how it would allow better access but I didn’t find it necessary.
2. Buy a 10mm ratcheting flex head wrench. You’ll need it if you don’t lift the engine.
3. I made a crow foot wrench from my best 18mm, it seems P/S lines always need some type of crow foot wrench.
4. I should have studied the Teflon o-ring requirements a little better, I “think” I got mine installed ok.
5. I removed all 4 A/C comp bolts it made it easier for me to move it around. It didn’t move too much or stress the lines. A/C still works after repair.
6. P/S pump comes out through the top, loose 2 bolts on the coolant line, it comes out easily.

The following users liked this post:
User 42324 (03-31-2020)