S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Type R Rear Brake Job: Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 05:01 AM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

The part number for the Brake Performance parking brake pads for my 2005 STR:
GP-09710. This is the number listed on the packing slip. I ordered them on 9/15. Price: $34.17.

Jeff

Old 10-22-2011, 05:10 AM

I purchased drilled and slotted rotors from BrakePerformance.com. Service was slower than advertised, by about a week. Also, they don't zinc coat the STR rotors because they come to brakeperformance with a coating on the hub. That coating seems to be simply paint, a bit of a disappointment.

I love the looks of the drilled and slotted rotors. However, there are a few drawbacks. You might feel a slight vibration in the pedal. Also, others have mentioned that they are a bit noisy. The only time I've heard any noise is when I'm traveling next to a jersey barrier with the windows down.

Jeff

Old 10-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidRey
I'm planning on doing a full rotor swap on my STR since my rear rotors need to be replaced, dealer said it was gonna be $700-$800 just for the rear two but I'd rather do it my self. I wanted to go with some cross drilled slotted brake discs any one have any recomendations that won't put to big a hole in my pocket or should I just stick with the OE blanks? Any recomendations on pads that offer the same quietness but with less brake dust than the OE?
There are plenty of recommendations on this site about brake pads. Akenbono get's high marks.

If you're worried about brake noise the slot & cross drilled combo can be noisy. I had them on one of my cars once and the worked fine but you heard a lot of noise as you came to a stop. Not squeaking. more like wup wup wup and a general drone. Depending on you pads the holes can get blocked and them you get build-up and pedal pulsation. The car I had them on didn't do that but I've seen Z06 Corvettes with this issue on track days. Just slotted is better IMHO.

Why do you want these options?

Last edited by Staatsof; 10-22-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Thanks Complic8d! But that is the part number I ordered twice and got the wrong stuff. Have you actually installed these yet?

Still would like a non-dealer source for these hard to find pads.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Staatsof
There are plenty of recommendations on this site about brake pads. Akenbono get's high marks.

If you're worried about brake noise the slot & cross drilled combo can be noisy. I had them on one of my cars once and the worked fine but you heard a lot of noise as you came to a stop. Not squeaking. more like wup wup wup and a general drone. Depending on you pads the holes can get blocked and them you get build-up and pedal pulsation. The car I had them on didn't do that but I've seen Z06 Corvettes with this issue on track days. Just slotted is better IMHO.

Why do you want these options?
I was considering them honestly because I like the sporty look as opposed to the plain blank ones, but from what i'm reading it seems like I should just go with OE Replace ments. Where can I get them besides the dealer? I had a look around advanceautoparts.com and they have some wearever rear discs for 68.99 each. any experiance with theses rotors? Posted the link below.

Buy Wearever Brake Rotor - Rear YH200535 at Advance Auto Parts____

Old 10-23-2011, 01:15 AM

Clubairth1,

Yes, I've installed the EPB pads, fit perfectly. I was worried, because I had seen posts that indicated they were shipping the wrong item. I bought them anyway.

Only issue is that they are semi-metalic, and I'm running ceramic. Would like to find a ceramic EPB source. They seem to remove the layer of ceramic that the ceramice pads are supposed to deposit on the disc face. The EPB pads leave a track on the surface of the rotor that is noticeably different in color from the rest of the rotor surface (and the front rotors). I don't know that this really impacts brake performance, but might shorten the life of the rear rotors.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:29 AM

DavidRey,

An alternate source for rotors is discountbrake.com. Look for the Centric 365mm (front) and 330mm (rear) rotors. You'll find that they include the smaller Sport rotors in the search results, even though you specify R as the sub-model. The Centric rotors are probably the same as the Brake Performance rotors but without the drilling or slots.

If you like the looks of drilled and slotted rotors, I would still recommend brakeperformance drilled and slotted along with akebono ultra pads. This combo eliminates the initial grab of the semi-metalic pads that makes moderation of light pedal action difficult. Yes, you may at first notice a slight vibration of the pedal. After a month of driving, I really don't notice it anymore. The rotors look great, and the ceramic pads keep the dust down too.

Jeff

Old 10-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

OK. So they DO have the correct EBP pads! Great!! I have been dealiing with a salesman named Jimmie at Brake Performance and he has tried his best but two wrong sets of parts so far. Did you deal with a salesman or just order thru the web site? I have been using part number GP-09710 same as you.

I question removing the ceramic layer on the disc? The park brakes are only applied when the car is stopped so you should not be dragging any material off the EPB pads. I have seen other people have wear on these pads. Are they being applied somehow when the car is moving?? I have 74K miles on my 2005 STR and the EBP's are still fine I just want to get them since they are hard to get and don't want to search all over when they need replacement.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Default 2004 S-Type non-Bremo rear brakes I am in a real mess

I have been doing most of my car maintenance since the 50's. My all time favorite being a 3.8 S that I had in the early 60's. To save you the math I will be 69 in two weeks. Actually the Mk II needed very little maintenance but when it did it was unusual, a front natural rubber suspension mount, a rubber steering universal which was quite exciting when it failed, a transmission dash-pot that needed the front suspension and motor lowered to replace and a few other mundane electrical issues. Three years ago I replaced the front brakes on my 2004 S-Type 3 liter (not an R) non-Bremo brakes in about 2 hours. This is the best car I have owned, I love it.

Yesterday I decided to change the rear pad and Rotors and when I removed the driver's side caliper I learned that I was in for more of a challenge. It was only with difficulty that I was able to get the caliper off! Here is blow by blow of what followed,

1. I tried to compress the piston into the cylinder with my trusty C clamp to no avail, turning to Jaguar Forums I discovered that the cylinder had to be rotated which required a special tool.
  2. I trundled off to Auto-zone and returned with tool. Having no understanding how the parking break mechanism is constructed and not being able to find a cut-away drawing I followed the directions that came with the tool and rotated the cylinder clockwise but it did not say how far. 90 degrees? 180 degrees? So, I rotated the piston 90 degrees clockwise and nothing happened. After several attempts with the piston in several positions I was still not able to compress the piston. Then I tried rotating the piston counter clockwise and still could not compress the piston.
  3. Back to the Forum and that concerned the parking brake might be engaged, up until now I had been working with the key on and because the cable was not taught I naively believed I had circumvented the parking brake activation.
  4. Several posts pointed out how to shut of the off the car and simultaneously disengage the parking brake. Then a big mistake, I thought that if I just tapped the brake pedal I would not have to constrain the piston. Well as you can guess it it moved considerably, luckily it did not pop out but now it is extended 3/4 inch more and I still have no idea how to compress it.
Well I have a three legged Jaguar in my driveway and if I can not find a way to heal it I will have the embarrassment of having a wrecker hauling the car away. Perhaps I can find someone that will pick it up at 2:00am in the morning.

Worse yet, you may find this hard to believe, my better half has listing the reasons I should not do this project for the past couple of days.

So How do I compress the pistons at this point? Anyone have a cutaway? Has anyone had one of these cylinders apart? Any ideas to help me out of this mess?

Old 10-23-2011, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Complic8d
DavidRey,

An alternate source for rotors is discountbrake.com. Look for the Centric 365mm (front) and 330mm (rear) rotors. You'll find that they include the smaller Sport rotors in the search results, even though you specify R as the sub-model. The Centric rotors are probably the same as the Brake Performance rotors but without the drilling or slots.

If you like the looks of drilled and slotted rotors, I would still recommend brakeperformance drilled and slotted along with akebono ultra pads. This combo eliminates the initial grab of the semi-metalic pads that makes moderation of light pedal action difficult. Yes, you may at first notice a slight vibration of the pedal. After a month of driving, I really don't notice it anymore. The rotors look great, and the ceramic pads keep the dust down too.

Jeff
Thanks for the reference complic8d although the rotors on that sight are a bit pricey for me right know havin' just paid my insurance for the next 6 months and my tags expiring sometime this month, not to mention my dogs emergency bill that I need to pay off. I was considering going with the rotors on advance autoparts web sight or maybe even some duralast rotors from autozone, but if there is a reason you think I should stay away from these then I'll just wait till I have the cash for the centrics.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:14 PM

On second thought I'm just gonna go with the rotors on welshenterprises.com since they actually specialize in jag oe parts, should have thought about it before. Rear rotors for 83.55 each.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:22 PM

Clubrairth,

I ordered the EPB pads from their website.

I agree that the pads should only be in contact with the disc while parked. I wonder if when they release, they still come in contact with the disc, not enough to cause any drag, but enough to wipe the disc surface.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:25 PM

DavidRey,

The Centric rear rotors are $77.49 on discountbrakes.com.

Jeff

Old 10-24-2011, 01:56 AM

DavidRey,

The Centric rear rotors are $77.49 on discountbrakes.com.

Jeff
Hmm... I don't see em' man the ones I found were 56.09 each but there 326mm, above you mentioned to look for 330mm... happen to have the part #? Never mind I found them under the 05 R model, Now before I place an order the 330mm discs are for the STR without the brembo calipers correct?

Last edited by DavidRey; 10-24-2011 at 02:31 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by pistonspeed
i have been doing most of my car maintenance since the 50's. My all time favorite being a 3.8 s that i had in the early 60's. To save you the math i will be 69 in two weeks. Actually the mk ii needed very little maintenance but when it did it was unusual, a front natural rubber suspension mount, a rubber steering universal which was quite exciting when it failed, a transmission dash-pot that needed the front suspension and motor lowered to replace and a few other mundane electrical issues. Three years ago i replaced the front brakes on my 2004 s-type 3 liter (not an r) non-bremo brakes in about 2 hours. This is the best car i have owned, i love it.

Yesterday i decided to change the rear pad and rotors and when i removed the driver's side caliper i learned that i was in for more of a challenge. It was only with difficulty that i was able to get the caliper off! Here is blow by blow of what followed,
  1. i tried to compress the piston into the cylinder with my trusty c clamp to no avail, turning to jaguar forums i discovered that the cylinder had to be rotated which required a special tool.
  2. i trundled off to auto-zone and returned with tool. Having no understanding how the parking break mechanism is constructed and not being able to find a cut-away drawing i followed the directions that came with the tool and rotated the cylinder clockwise but it did not say how far. 90 degrees? 180 degrees? So, i rotated the piston 90 degrees clockwise and nothing happened. After several attempts with the piston in several positions i was still not able to compress the piston. Then i tried rotating the piston counter clockwise and still could not compress the piston.
  3. back to the forum and that concerned the parking brake might be engaged, up until now i had been working with the key on and because the cable was not taught i naively believed i had circumvented the parking brake activation.
  4. several posts pointed out how to shut of the off the car and simultaneously disengage the parking brake. Then a big mistake, i thought that if i just tapped the brake pedal i would not have to constrain the piston. Well as you can guess it it moved considerably, luckily it did not pop out but now it is extended 3/4 inch more and i still have no idea how to compress it.
well i have a three legged jaguar in my driveway and if i can not find a way to heal it i will have the embarrassment of having a wrecker hauling the car away. Perhaps i can find someone that will pick it up at 2:00am in the morning.

Worse yet, you may find this hard to believe, my better half has listing the reasons i should not do this project for the past couple of days.

So how do i compress the pistons at this point? Anyone have a cutaway? Has anyone had one of these cylinders apart? Any ideas to help me out of this mess?
you screw it in, and unless you have brembos you would not have been able to get the caliper off the rotor as the park brake applies the rear brake pads. I assume you bought a cheap brake tool instead of one that compresses slightly as you turn. So as youre screwing it in you must push to retract the p[iston or at the least soemtimes start it. Spray the boot and piston with wd4 so the boot doesnt stick to the piston as its turning and tear it. Doesnt happen often but it does happen.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:13 PM

I don't know the exact dimensions of the 2007 STR rotors. The 2005 STR has brembo calipers, so the rotor diameter for the 2007 STR may be different too. Sorry to have given you bad information. My intent was to make sure you didn't order the Sport suspension rotors which discountbrakes.com lists with search results for the STR.

I see that Brake Performance lists rear rotors for the 2005 STR but not the 2007 STR. For 2007, they show, "Call for Price". This is code for "we are out of stock". I had the same message when I ordered. They told me on Wednesday that they didn't know when they would be getting more castings, to check back in three weeks. The following Monday, they had a price listed and were back in stock.

If you are trying to save a few $, you might call and ask them about price and availability. For the 2005 STR, they show $95.29 for a pair of standard rear rotors with free shipping.

Jeff

Old 10-24-2011, 05:49 PM

I don't know the exact dimensions of the 2007 STR rotors. The 2005 STR has brembo calipers, so the rotor diameter for the 2007 STR may be different too. Sorry to have given you bad information. My intent was to make sure you didn't order the Sport suspension rotors which discountbrakes.com lists with search results for the STR.

I see that Brake Performance lists rear rotors for the 2005 STR but not the 2007 STR. For 2007, they show, "Call for Price". This is code for "we are out of stock". I had the same message when I ordered. They told me on Wednesday that they didn't know when they would be getting more castings, to check back in three weeks. The following Monday, they had a price listed and were back in stock.

If you are trying to save a few $, you might call and ask them about price and availability. For the 2005 STR, they show $95.29 for a pair of standard rear rotors with free shipping.

Jeff
No worries, I did call around to three different jag dealers to try and get the rear disc specs and they all mentioned either the 300 or 326mm for my vin# but didn't know which one was right for my car. So i'm still trying to find out wich is the correct size.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Also, are they solid or vented? (The Brembo rears are solid but I think the non-Brembo are vented - have a look - and I suspect they're 326 but again you need to be sure.)

Old 10-25-2011, 07:49 PM

yeah they are vented...

Old 11-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks to several great guys on this list I FINALLY got the correct EBP pads for my 2005 STR. Yes Brake Performance has the correct EBP pads and yes the part number is GP-09710. Great price at $34 and free shipping. So they are really a good deal. Even if you don't do the work yourself I would get a set in for when you do need them.

After receiving and returning the wrong parts twice I now have the proper pads.

Quick Reply: S Type R Rear Brake Job: Help Please!