S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Type R - removal of headlamp washer pop out ??

Search this Thread

Old Today, 06:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S Type R - removal of headlamp washer pop out ??

Theoretically - if I cut the stems off the pop out in the position marked to disable the washers, what would happen please?

Would the system loose pressure and stop the screen washers working too?

And yes, I know that a Xenon lamped car is supposed to have working washers as a MOT requirement etc.

Many thanks

Old Today, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Why not just unhook the wiring on the back and then they will never operate?
Probably need to drop the front bumper but that is very easy. Yours look broken anyway?

Old Today, 08:43 AM

Thanks and I would agree but the bumper/valance is in a fragile state currently and partly glued on!!

I can't see or reach the wiring point.

Old Today, 08:45 AM

Also, I did remove the numbered fuse as per my previous thread and the helpful replies. That does disable the lamp washers but also kills the wipers off B-(

Old Today, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,932 Posts

One suggestion since I guess the bumper cover is messed up and you don't want to remove it? I "think" if you remove the front wheel well plastic liners you should be able to get access to the head light washer assemblies? Maybe not even remove them but unhook the front portions and bend the plastic liner back to grab the electrical plug on the head light washers?

Yea that's the problem with the fuse idea they usually operate multiple things in the car.

Old Today, 08:57 AM

Thanks - I will go look again at that

Old Today, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,081 Likes on 1,471 Posts

Originally Posted by monSTR
Also, I did remove the numbered fuse as per my previous thread and the helpful replies. That does disable the lamp washers but also kills the wipers off B-(

Hmm, it’s strange pulling fuse F11 (in the front power distribution box) also killed the wipers. I’m scratching my head over that.

One more thing you can try:

Remove relay R18 in the same panel. That sends power to the headlight washer pump and nowhere else.

If that doesn’t do the trick, I wonder if there were some wiring changes from year to year. Perhaps your car was close to the changeover and we are looking at the wrong year.

Edit: Just checked 2003 and 2005 wiring diagrams. For the headlight washers, the only difference I saw was F11 increased from 30 to 40 amps.

Last edited by kr98664; Today at 01:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Beretta9 (Today)
Old Today, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
One suggestion since I guess the bumper cover is messed up and you don't want to remove it? I "think" if you remove the front wheel well plastic liners you should be able to get access to the head light washer assemblies? Maybe not even remove them but unhook the front portions and bend the plastic liner back to grab the electrical plug on the head light washers?

I’m pretty sure the headlight washer assemblies do not have any electrical connections. I see a dedicated pump for the system, a fuse, and relay, but nothing near the nozzles.

When the pump runs, hydraulic pressure in the lines pushes the nozzles out to the extended position. It’s basically a piston in a cylinder. When the pump stops and pressure is removed, the nozzles are lightly spring-loaded to the retracted position.

Here is a picture of a nozzle assembly, shamelessly stolen from eBay:

I am still perplexed why pulling fuse F11 didn’t work. It only goes to the headlight washer relay and pump, and nowhere else.

Last edited by kr98664; Today at 01:24 PM.
Old Today, 03:06 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I removed my r18 relay on my 03 v6 last year and it worked. I did this because the jet cover didnt line up properly and I would have to push it in to get it level. So rather then lose it one day I removed the relay and glued the cover. However I don’t have the xenon lights.

The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (Today)
Old Today, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

One more thought, just in case your car’s wiring is somehow different:

Find the headlight washer pump and disconnect the electrical connector. No idea on the exact location, but you should be able to follow the lines back from the nozzle assemblies. If guessing, I’d imagine it’s near the fluid reservoir. Be careful not to unplug the other pump for the windshield washer.