S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type R and Snow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RE: S-Type R and Snow?

wudnt be any better then a cobra.. the r is pretty useless in the snow.. i work on jags in canada.. we cant get them out of the lot with summers on.. we have customers with snow tires too.. which makes it better.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my experience with my current str (2nd winter) and front wheel drives in the past in the north east winters, i don't see much hassle with the str. I do have dunlop winter sport m3 tires and my other cars always had all seasons, i remember struggling with the all seasons more than the str. I have been skiing on snowy days and live in a hilly area and not once did i need to be pushed vs. what i see my neighbors deal with on snowy days before the sand trucks.

Good luck.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

Well, I haven't had any trouble with my STR and I've probably got it worse in winter her in Winnipegthan anyone. I have Pirelli 240's and they have been great for me so far. I've been in snow and on sheet ice and I have always made it home. It can be hard to get going if you are stopped on ice but I have always managed. It's no worse than everyone else on the road. I say as long as you have a good set of winter tires and know how to handle conditions, you should be fine. I drove a Saleen mustang in winter when I first got it a few years ago and it was a nightmare. If you ask me the STR is way better than that was.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive my R in the snow also. Its quite like driving 5-series BMW in the snow. Main rule is get premium winter tires. Helps a lot.

Jack

Old 12-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: kit5pt0

I am buying a new daily driver, and am considering the S-type R. Does anyone have experience with this car in snow? I am only looking for replies with the "R", not the regular s-type. I cannot go through another winter with my Cobra. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
I don't think it matters if it's an "R" Or a regular S-Type. Both are rear wheel drive correct??? Both will perform the same as far as traction. S-Types overall whether it's an R or not - are not the greatest in the snow. You want something that is going to get you through the thick stuff and will get good traction? Get an X my friend.

Peace out-

Old 12-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 04' 4.2 S-Type and I know I have 17's. I'm pretty sure the R is 18. If you have a good set of snow tires it will make all the difference- but without them your daily commute will suck if you live in an area that gets a lot of snow. Trust me. lol