S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S type R - Trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2021 | 12:10 PM
|

Originally Posted by NBCat
Has anyone checked the PCM and TCM for moisture contamination?
TCM is in the transmission, very unlikely it has any moisture in it. I have read of cracked TCM housings letting fluid in and causing a fault. It is embedded in the valve body and I have not removed yet. I have not checked the PCM but have no engine codes and no significant moisture in the car.

As the TCM is not really a servicable part and the remanufactured valve bodies are around $900, it appears the options are either replace valve body or replace transmission. If I can verify it is a valve body fault and not a transmission clutch issue I might go that route, although even that amount of expense puts the car on the bubble for going to auction. Good running supercharged engine is probably worth more than the whole car. Interior and body are relatively good though, so I hate to do that but with cars with half the mileage going for about what I would have in it with a rebuilt trans it makes no sense to go all the way to rebuilding the trans.

Old 06-23-2021 | 01:07 PM

At this point here is what I would do (and what I did when I had my trans issue):

1) Get the codes. Without them, you're firing blindly.
2) Once you have the codes, depending on what they say:
- If they point to solenoids, get the ZF solenoid ket (~$150 if I remember right) drop the pan, pull the mechatronics (valve body) and rebuild it with new solenoids
- If they point to TCM, get a replacement TCM. Pricey if new, but not so bad if you can find a used one (as far as I know any TCM from a Jag with the ZF will do. I know of a XK TCM in an XJ, an XJ in a XK and our STR has the TCM from a 2005 3.0 S-type. Just needs to be programmed to the car)
- If they point to trans clutches themselves, well, that's a bugger. Trans rebuild/used one. If you can do the work yourself, not to bad price wise, but not a fun job
- Wild card - codes point to something I never thought of or maybe even no codes ( rare, it's happened before to me though)

I can say the TCM is replaceable, I just did it. Also, depending on what you want to spend and your skill level, at 210k, I would consider rebuilding the mechatronics (where the solenoids are) if you pull it to do the TCM. But again, up to you. If you plan to keep the car for a while and you know the service history, maybe no need to do the solenoids. Our STR has 176k miles on it but I have had it since it has 55k miles on it and I kept up on trans fluid changes so I didn't do it.

In the end, get the codes. It'll make life much easier!

Old 06-23-2021 | 01:16 PM
|

I have the codes:

P0736 if put in reverse
P0731 if put in forward.

Solenoid kit is $250 - not bad if I can narrow it down to the solenoid.

TCM is only available separately on ebay at a cost of $189 ish. No reputable seller sells it separately, only as part of the valve body. TCM does require programming to the car which no one on the east coast can do other than the dealer - one hour away, and I am not sure they can do it given the age. Lots of JLR dealers have stopped working on anything older than 10 years. Local JLR absolutely will not work on D2 or older, have not inquired about Jags as I would rather poke a needle in my eye than take a car to the ***********. I worked at a *********** when I was in high school. Also, I have a friend who is a tech at that ***********, he says they do nothing on trans other than swap with new.

Where did you get the replacement TCM and who programmed it?

I have rebuilt transmissions before but I am backed up on my D2 projects so I would pay someone to do this, but the car is not worth it. Maybe if I can get it going for less than $1000.

Old 06-23-2021 | 03:59 PM

I bought a complete TCM/Mechatronics unit used from a 05 S-type 3.0. I then dropped the unit from my car. I removed the TCM from the used part and swapped it out for the bricked TCM in my car (it is just bolted to the mechatronics unit, just take off some bolts and voila, a TCM!). As for programming, I have IDS/SDD and a VCM so I just hooked it up to the car and went to the TCM and flashed it with the proper software for the car. Took about 5 min total to get it programmed. I did then have to go through the adaptation procedure (which is a pain, see my thread about this) but now it is pretty much back to the way it was before. The used TCM/mechatronics cost me 300 bucks, and now I have a spare mechatronics that I can rebuild if needed and swap it into either one of our cars in a pinch.

I don't have access to my code info stuff right now so I can't help with that, but I think both of them have to do with incorrect gear ratios. Someone can correct me here if needed!

Old 06-23-2021 | 05:10 PM
|

Originally Posted by WinterJag
I bought a complete TCM/Mechatronics unit used from a 05 S-type 3.0. I then dropped the unit from my car. I removed the TCM from the used part and swapped it out for the bricked TCM in my car (it is just bolted to the mechatronics unit, just take off some bolts and voila, a TCM!). As for programming, I have IDS/SDD and a VCM so I just hooked it up to the car and went to the TCM and flashed it with the proper software for the car. Took about 5 min total to get it programmed. I did then have to go through the adaptation procedure (which is a pain, see my thread about this) but now it is pretty much back to the way it was before. The used TCM/mechatronics cost me 300 bucks, and now I have a spare mechatronics that I can rebuild if needed and swap it into either one of our cars in a pinch.

I don't have access to my code info stuff right now so I can't help with that, but I think both of them have to do with incorrect gear ratios. Someone can correct me here if needed!
NOW WE'RE TALKING!! Ok, so I thought the 3.0 did not have the ZF 6 speed? In talking with multiple people they tell me the ZF has to be programmed to the car, but you think I could do that with the SDD? BTW, what is a VCM - Virtual machine running XP for the SDD software?

You are correct, both of my codes are incorrect gear ratios codes.

Old 06-23-2021 | 09:00 PM

All S-types from 2003, XJ from 2004-2009, and XK from 2003-2009 use the ZF, regardless of engine variant. The issue is programming to the correct car. So, when I installed the TCM from the 2005 S-type 3.0 into my 2003 S-type R, I hooked up IDS and when I went to program it, it could tell that the wrong configuration file was loaded in it and asked if I wanted to install the correct configuration file. I clicked yes and it did its thing. So, based on this, as well as the fact someone on this forum has flashed a TCM from a XJ to the software for an XK and vice versa, seems like any TCM from a Jag with the ZF will work in any Jag with a ZF.

As to programming. A VCM is a specific connector used to communicate/program Jags. It's made by Rotunda (if I remember right) and actually a Ford product. However, they stopped using these a long time ago! Finding one is rare and finding one for a reasonable price is even rarer. I got lucky years ago and snapped mine up for $150 from a independent Ford shop clearing out some old stuff. Guess they didn't know what they had. Now, if you can even find one, I don't even want to think about the price. I've seen them for sale from $600-800 typically. Do some searching on the site and you will learn more than you can imagine. Now, the software (IDS/SDD) is run in Windows XP. I have IDS 118.5 running on a XP virtual machine as well as SDD 131 on a standalone XP laptop, both have worked fine. There is another device called a Mongoose from DrewTech I believe that also can do things like a VCM, but I was told by Cambo once that he only trusts a VCM for programming. I tend to agree with him as he is all knowing and all powerful.

Again, if I was closer (about a 6h drive I believe) I'd be happy to help, but maybe someone might have one that is closer that could help.

There is actually a VCM for sale right now on ebay with cables, but it is not guaranteed to work and $550.

Old 06-23-2021 | 09:23 PM
|

This Schizophrenic POS! Just went out and did about an hour of testing, checking codes.

Started by checking data, with engine on, car in park. Nothing remarkable.

Then this comes up

I clear that, start going through data again.

Cannot get that one to clear.

A bit more data

Last one comes on as I am sitting in the driveway for a while, car in gear, I feel a lurch, then this. Was able to clear it. No trans codes, but engine codes are still there.

Old 06-24-2021 | 05:18 AM
Veteran Member

P1582 is a (detailed) status (data recorder of what happened until stall/etc), decode with IDS/SDD.

P1000 is due to clearing codes; car can't fully report issues until it changes to P1111.

Old 06-24-2021 | 06:10 AM
|

Well it sounds like I can't get SDD connected without a VCM or Mongoose, which I don't have. And I don't understand what would cause the P1000 to change to P1111 so it can report issues. Me and this Jag were just dating, trying to figure out how bad the trans is before I decide to get married. Right now I am thinking it might be time to break up. Based on this experience I can see why people would want to swap an LS powertrain in - at least the computers will talk to you on those.

Old 06-24-2021 | 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Extinct
at least the computers will talk to you on those.
What a bizarre comment - your computers are happy to talk to you and indeed have been doing so plenty. You could help yourself by using IDS/SDD but so far you have codes and could work with them as often suggested.

Old 06-24-2021 | 08:22 AM
|

Originally Posted by JagV8
What a bizarre comment - your computers are happy to talk to you and indeed have been doing so plenty. You could help yourself by using IDS/SDD but so far you have codes and could work with them as often suggested.
So I am happy to learn more about the IDS/SDD setup, but it sounds like besides the software I would need something called a VCM or a Mongoose which apparently are out of production, difficult to find, and not guaranteed to work when I do find them? Is that correct?

I already have a Delphi DS150 which should connect but won't (works fine on the LR's), a Foxwell NT520 Pro which will connect, read codes as well as a good bit of other data, but basically the schizophrenic ZF TCM won't give me any meaningful information about what the problem is, and of course good old EFILIve which will read and write every known parameter on an LS powered vehicle with no cryptology required. A few more OBD bits kicking around for fords other stuff.

Solid information on the ZF is hard to find on the ground in the US these days. I signed up for a "JustAnswer" and had a shop owner respond, he just kept saying transmission needs to be rebuilt or replaced, obviously makes his living doing that. Contacted my buddy who is a powertrain engineer at BMW and worked on the original M versions of the X platform - his only thought was maybe a bad speed sensor but the vehicle is throwing codes without moving so I doubt that is it unless it has a comms problem.

Found two shops up in the NE that rebuild/reman valve bodies and have all the bench test equipment to test the TCM and Valve body, but that is of limited use when trying to determine if we have a comms error, a tcm fault, a valve body solenoid issue, or a clutch/piston failure.

Local shops have no equipment to read or program the TCM. Contacted my buddy who is a JLR Senior tech at the local dealer 1 hr away - he says they never do anything on transmissions other than replace and have no hardware whatsoever to read/write or program. Hell many dealers in the US won't even work on something older than 2010, they say go to an indy.

I would cheerfully pay for some decent diagnostics or even learn the IDS/SDD and buy the hardware as long as it was less than a remanufactured valve body with TCM, but that doesn't appear to be the case either.

This forum has been great chiming in, offering ideas, suggestions, and even the occasional experience. I was encouraged by WinterJag's post, as I had not considered that all ZF mechantronics were basically the same and could be swapped, but now I am stuck again with the issue of even if I put a good one in, there is no good way to get it programmed.

I am going to check the wiring under the car this weekend to make sure nothing is shorting, perhaps do another round of code clearing and reading, but if I can't find a way to diagnose or program I will have to move on. I don't like giving up on projects but I need to know when I am drilling a dry well.

Old 06-24-2021 | 08:34 AM
|

Originally Posted by scottjh9
If you would rather not go down the sdd path, the icarsoft jag specific is nice. You can access all modules. I have used it to see the trans solenoid pressures while driving among other things. I use the i930 model
Ordered this, will see what it will do.

Old 06-24-2021 | 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Ordered this, will see what it will do.
Attached is the step by step manual from Jag (ZF) on your transmission. Before throwing parts at the car I would clear and reset the TCM adaptions (but you need or have someone that has the SDD/IDS to do so. Some transmission shops may have those without going to the dealer) and see what happens, but it sounds like you may (?) need a solenoid kit. (
Amazon Amazon
). You could even see if you had the SDD if there is, by chance, a software update that the car never got to get rid of the lurch. You can call a Jag dealer and they can check the VIN to see what software updates they would have done previously. I assume that when you filled the fluid that not only did you have the right temp, but also were getting a small stream of fluid running out at the same time. I know -it is really an imprecise way to do a modern day fill and not having an accessible dip stick and more easy access to doing a fluid fill.

Also attached are other items that relate to getting your P1000- P1111, but that will NOT happen until you stop getting transmission codes, as the TCM is part of things like the 2 evap. tests that have to get completed.

Tom in Dallas/Plano
05 S-type 119K

Old 06-24-2021 | 10:01 AM
|

Thanks for this @jazzwineman, no luck so far finding anyone with IDS/SDD near me. Dealer is a no go as well. I am going to visit the dealer the car spent most of its life at over the 4th of July weekend, he is about 3 hrs away from me. They would not give me anything over the phone but I am hoping if I show up with the title in my name on their doorstep they will show me the service history.

I have already have reviewed the ZF trans troubleshooting guide, kinda hard to make much progress without IDS.

Yes, transmission filled at 32 degrees C with a small stream of fluid from the fill plug.

I will see if the iCarsoft will give us any additional information I don't have already.

Last edited by Extinct; 06-24-2021 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-24-2021 | 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for this @jazzwineman, no luck so far finding anyone with IDS/SDD near me. Dealer is a no go as well. I am going to visit the dealer the car spent most of its life at over the 4th of July weekend, he is about 3 hrs away from me. They would not give me anything over the phone but I am hoping if I show up with the title in my name on their doorstep they will show me the service history.

I have already have reviewed the ZF trans troubleshooting guide, kinda hard to make much progress without IDS.

Yes, transmission filled at 32 degrees C with a small stream of fluid from the fill plug.

I will see if the iCarsoft will give us any additional information I don't have already.
Try calling Jag USA and thy can look it up for you. I never had an issue with the dealer here in Dallas looking at the computer for me. Sounds like they want to trick you into a service job. Did you ever see a carfax report on the car- it would list dealer actions and others and that may give you some hint to any current problems.

TBB

Old 06-24-2021 | 10:16 AM
|

I have the carfax, zero service records other than the required annual inspection in NC. Car was based in Charlotte, looks like one owner up to about 150k because there are zero service records in carfax, then it finally pops up at an independent service shop. I am going to assume the Jag dealer in Charlotte does not report service to Carfax. At 151 all the brakes were done, 178 the thermostat was replaced, All service records end in 2015.

Old 06-24-2021 | 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

I have the carfax, zero service records other than the required annual inspection in NC. Car was based in Charlotte, looks like one owner up to about 150k because there are zero service records in carfax, then it finally pops up at an independent service shop. I am going to assume the Jag dealer in Charlotte does not report service to Carfax. At 151 all the brakes were done, 178 the thermostat was replaced, All service records end in 2015.
Call Jag USA and they can tell you the services done. Hard to believe that a Jag dealer in a large city somehow missed Carfax??? Just another problem with another dealer.

TBB

Old 06-24-2021 | 11:03 AM
|

I did not know Jag USA would do that for an owner, I will call them this afternoon

Old 06-24-2021 | 03:32 PM
|

Well, called Jag USA, they said the car was at the dealer every year, but the dealer opened a repair order but never closed it so they cannot see what was done. Called the dealer (Hendrick, Charlotte), they don't work on anything older than 2005 but they said they would have a service advisor look at the records and get back to me

Old 06-24-2021 | 04:06 PM

Looks like you are making progress at least. Something is making me think there might be a connector issue, based on the fact it threw a TCM/ECM CAN communication problem. I know if went away but something is wonky here. I find it odd too that it threw a 5th gear ratio issue. I'm not expert but I had that thrown in my car when I was trying to do the adaptation procedure and it had trouble shifting into 5th from 4th. So why is it seeing a 5th gear issue while sitting still? Again, toss in that fuel pump code and my first thought is electrical issue or low battery issue. Maybe check fuses too. Easy to do and a bad fuse once sent me on a wild goose chase years ago. Now I check them first!

One last thing, the temp for filling the trans is 42C not 32C. Could be you are overfilled. Also, I thought you couldn't get the fill plug out? Unless you did, again, can you explain how you checked that you got the right fluid level? (I don't know how the steel pan works for checking fluid levels) I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I know that incorrect fluid level (high or low) can wreak havoc.

Oh, one more last thing, I actually have a clone Mongoose sitting around. Never really use it since I got the VCM. While I would never use it to program or anything since the clones are flaky at best, I would use it to read codes and make sure all the modules are communicating properly. It works with SDD and I'd be happy to send it to you, see if you can get any more info then you can just send it back. If your car was at least mobile, I'd even be happy to try and meet you half way and use my IDS setup! While I grew up on the Canadian prairies and 6hrs is barely a drive if you ask me, I just don't have the time for a round trip right now. Which sucks actually, because I love driving!

In the end, I really don't think your trans is shot and most likely is a TCM/solenoid issue which is DIY fixable. Replacing the trans would be overkill.

Quick Reply: S type R - Trans issue