S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type radio upgrade if you dont have factory navigation:

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Fiber Optic is not a problem and the resistance to any noise or interference is absolutely fantastic. Remember the fiber optic is the entire bus system. There are just regular wires to the speakers from the amps. The fiber optic bus is more of a back bone that connects the NAV, Jaguar Voice, Bluetooth, ACM, CD changer, radio head unit modules. After that it goes back to regular wires.

The following users liked this post:
Card Shark (12-16-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a little confused. If I replace my head unit will I be able to connect that unit to my existing amp and steering wheel controls?

Old 12-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

A qualified yes. It may take another adapter or two depending on what head unit you go with. I think that is the key on this car. Do your research now to save grief later.

Card Shark (12-16-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 05:53 PM

Thank you, I am currently leaning torwards a Pioneer head unit. Just need to play with a few to find the right one.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default More on fiber optics

I understand Card Shark being confused. I am too and I've done the research. There is a section in jaguarforums for audio/visual, there is a section in the S-type FAQ under Modifications that has two threads on after market radios. And, there are several posts in the general S-type forum that touch on aftermarket radios. As I do research, I've learned two things.

1.) Those DIYers that have actually replaced their head unit have NOT (or chose not, for what reason we can't be sure) been able to use the factory amp. In most of those cases, they report it is because they were told by sellers of radio equipment or installers that they needed a different amp because of the fiber optics that Jaguar uses.

2.) Those who have proven extensive knowledge of our cars, some even with specialized knowledge in electronics, whom I have the upmost respect for, see no reason why the factory amp could not be used. Though a few report that either an adapter may be needed or special knowledge required.

So, these two points are seemingly at odds, and there in lies the confusion that Cardshark and I have. We are so desperate for help, that an answer like ....a qualified yes...gets thanked. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but not to worry.

I AM GOING TO DO THIS PROJECT MYSELF, NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES, AND NO MATTER HOW MANY UNECESSARY PARTS I BUY OR RETURN. WE WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS AND I WILL REPORT BACK.

Thank you everyone that has tried to help. I understand there are many variables (different head unit manufacturers to begin with). We couldn't even begin to tackle many of the numerous projects we do without your participation. Hopefully in the end, this thread will put the question of fibre optics to bed once and for all.

Cheers!

Last edited by Xcellr8; 12-21-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Card Shark (12-22-2011)
Old 12-21-2011, 12:25 PM

Card Shark,
I bought a used Pioneer AVIC Z120BT. The newer version is Z130BT. I believe the harness, steering wheel adapter, bluetooth mic, GPS antenna, ipod cable, etc. are the same on both. You and I have the same car, same year, engine, and premium radio. I'm doing the install after christmas. Ordering parts starting today. There are likely several sources for parts, but my son has done business with Crutchfield twice and both times had a very positive experience. They may be more expensive, but the support is worth something. Others may be just a good, but I'm going to stick with a known here.

Edited this post since it was last one,

STRIKE ONE, Crutchfield says NO, they are not aware of a way to use the factory amp. The harness they sell (which could be why they answer the question the way they do) bypasses the factory amp and requires that you run speaker wire from the head unit to the trunk - oops boot - and splice into the factory speaker wires there. That is the same information that others, including ChrisSTR, reported.

FOUL BALL, Installer.com says no harness is available to tie in factory amp. Not saying it can't be done, just that what they have will bypass amp.
FOUL BALL, Hifisoundconnection.com says no harness, when they do jobs like this, they run speaker wire to bypass amp - heard that before.

Last edited by Xcellr8; 12-21-2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Add even more info
The following 2 users liked this post by Xcellr8:
Card Shark (12-22-2011), Under Pressure (12-22-2011)
Old 12-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Default http://www.jimrothe.com/jaguar/acm-bluetooth/d2b_background.html

STRIKE TWO. Jim Rothe, has examined this issue and provided a layman's explaination below that we could all benefit from. His conclusion is that the factory amp cannot be used. This was extracted from his web site, Adding Accessories (aux in, iPod/iPhone, Bluetooth) to the Jaguar X-Type, S-Type and 2004-2009 XJ

Fiber-Optic D2B Ring

Here's the fundamental problem: the factory stereo in these vehicles uses fiber-optic connections between the head unit and amplifier, as well as any factory-supplied accessories such as the CD changer or the original telephone unit. There is no line-in connection on the head unit, and any control or switching of the various components of the system is all done through the fiber optic system.

At this writing, there are two types of fiber-optic network used in the Jaguar stereos:

Domestic Digital Bus (D2B)

and

Media Oriented System Transport (MOST).

D2B is the older of the two. It was used in the Jaguar X-Type, S-Type and the 2004-2009 XJ models. It was also used in certain Mercedes models of the same era, mostly up to 2004. Newer models from both Jaguar and Mercedes, as well as a number of other manufacturers, typically use a MOST network for the stereo.

D2B and MOST are both ring topologies, requiring each component in the network to be connected to the next in succession, until a complete loop is created for the data path. This allows both audio signals and component commands to traverse the same network and communicate with any component on the network, as needed. So a CD changer might possibly be sending an audio signal to the head unit over the fiber optic ring at the same time that the head unit is sending a slightly different (boosted/attenuated or equalized) audio signal to the amplifier. A telephone unit might also be connected to the same network, with the ability to send commands to the head unit to mute/pause the audio and switch to the telephone signal when a call comes in, or to receive a command that is initiated from the head unit to dial a number and place a call. So besides the advantages of clear, noise-free digital audio, every component on the network can be controlled and audio can be passed over the same fiber optic network. There is no need for separate wiring for each component that might be added to the system.

Which is all just fine, until we want to add a device that was not designed for this fiber-optic network. Like various iThings. Or smartphones. Or something other than a stack of CDs.

If you have the Jaguar premium sound system, you're going to be replacing your amplifier, and running line-level audio wiring from your new head unit back to your new amplifier. You can probably re-use your existing speaker wiring. Either way, this is no minor project.

On the other hand, today's state of the art head units provide features that our ten year old head unit designs can't touch. Modern head units can be had with integrated Bluetooth, USB, iPhone/iPod connectivity, Sirius/XM satellite radio, HD radio, DVD video playback - you name it! It's all a question of how much you want to spend.

The following 4 users liked this post by Xcellr8:
Begga79 (05-02-2021), Card Shark (12-22-2011), DougB (09-24-2015), Under Pressure (12-22-2011)
Old 12-21-2011, 03:44 PM

I don't know how to call this anything but STRIKE THREE, YOU ARE OUT, but I'm not ready to quit, so screw it, bring on the next batter, we will play a whole inning. CarTronics.com, who makes their living developing products with the fiber optics on Jaguar, Mercedes, Porsche and others says they are not aware of a harness for our aftermarket head units in Jaguars. They DO have fiber optic applications for bluetooth and i-pod/phone integration, but not for aftermarket Navigation units. They have additional products for other marks.

If you are interested in what they do have visit their website;
CarTronics, the Leading Authority on Vehicle Electronics

Given the information we have collected so far, I'd be interested in the other side's thoughts on what we are being told. If you are in the camp that believes the factory amp can be used with aftermarket head units, can you send us to any source that supports your beliefs?

Last edited by Xcellr8; 12-21-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Add more info
The following 2 users liked this post by Xcellr8:
Card Shark (12-22-2011), Under Pressure (12-22-2011)
Old 12-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran into this same issue with my Z4. It had a digital signal that went from the factory HU to the factory amp. To use the factory amp you had to use something that was almost as expensive as the HU. But to change everything out was along the order of $1400, give or take a few hundred for a new HU, speakers and amp. Sometimes these "premium" sound systems should be called "royal" because they're a royal PITA if you try to do anything. I settled for an Dice IPOD hookup in the Z4 which worked ok. But I resented having to buy an Apple product and it never worked as well as it should have.

Changing out the speakers in the Jaguar isn't hard at all. Running new wire is. Especially getting the RCA cables from the HU back to the trunk underneath the carpet, PITA but very very doable, and once you get one pair the next is easy. Snaking speaker wire through the door grommets is a huge pain too. I used stiff weed eater line and a lot of cussing, but it can be done. The trick is to feed the thin line through first then tape the speaker wire to one end and pull through. DO NOT tape the wire to the short end because if the tape comes off you'll have to snake the thin line back through again. It will take half a day to a full day to just run the speaker cables if you've never done it before. Installing the HU is easy, mounting the AMP is easy because the battery is in the trunk.

Last edited by nghisus; 12-22-2011 at 10:50 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by nghisus:
Card Shark (12-22-2011), Illini (12-24-2011), Under Pressure (12-22-2011)
Old 12-22-2011, 12:41 PM

Wow, I really appreciate all the advice. Based on what I am reading here and other research I have done. I believe I will still replace the head unit with a navigation system. My intention is to have integrated bluetooth, Sirius radio, ipod connection, a cd player and use my existing steering wheel controls. Looks like I will be removing the 6 disc chager from the trunk which really does not bother me as long as the new head unit has a single disc player. I am going to replace the amp, however if everything I am reading is correct I should be able to use the existing speakers. I do not think fiber optic is used between the amp and speakers. Please correct me if I am wrong on this. I am going to go through a profession installer as my next concern is that the microphone for the bluetooth and voice commands and the antenna for the Sirius and navigation look like they belong on the car. Being in the car business myself, I have several connections with aftermarket installers who will take good care of me due to the amount of business I send them.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Card Shark
I am going to replace the amp, however if everything I am reading is correct I should be able to use the existing speakers. I do not think fiber optic is used between the amp and speakers. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.
I was able to retain my factory speakers after I replaced head unit and amp. And if you have the Alpine speakers, they will sound a million times better with a good amp giving them more juice. I can only turn them up half way before my ear drums start bleeding.

Card Shark (12-22-2011)
Old 12-22-2011, 04:37 PM

Excellent news. I do have the Alpine speakers. Now I just need to select the head unit and amp. Getting closer. Thank you everyone for your help.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glad I ran across this page...

First of all, this is the best website EVER! This is my first post. Im running a 2003 STR. OK can anyone tell me which fuse/relay protects the D2B fiber optic system?

Old 09-24-2015, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

May be several. Should be in your handbook - free download from Jaguar if you don't have it. Also see forum stickies.

And in JTIS, free download. And in Electrical Guide on JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 10-28-2015, 11:29 PM
Default Bluetooth to FM converter

Hi all,
The sound system in my 2004 S Type is excellent, the only thing it was missing was Bluetooth connectivity for my Android phone. I purchased a Soundly BT that plugs into the power port in my center console glove box for power, then broadcasts to many different FM stations (pick one that plays the loudest). With this I can play music from my phone through the stock sound system and it sounds great!
Check out the Satechi Soundly BT here:

https://www.satechi.net/index.php/soundfly-bt-ultimate-bluetooth-car-fm-transmitter-wma-mp3-player-for-sd-card-usb-charger-for-iphone-5s-5c-5-4s-4-3gs-3g-samsung-galaxy-s4-s3-s2-note-2-note-nexus-s-htc-one-x-s-motorola-droid-razr-hd-maxx-nokia-lumia-920-lg-optimus-g

$49.99

There are cheaper models on ebay, but I love the sound quality of this one!

Old 01-20-2021, 10:26 PM
Default Oem premium headunit to oem touchscreen nav

Hi all! I know this is an older thread, but it seems to be one packed with useful knowledge that could def help me out. I have an 2005 S Type Sport 4.2, with the factory premium sound system, CD changer in the trunk, non nav. I purchased an oem factory touchscreen nav until from a donor 2005 s type, and I'm dying to hook it up, but I haven't a clue as to where to begin. The original unit, as some of you I am sure know, has two connectors that plug into the back of the non nav, but the nav unit has only one. When I received the donor unit it came with all of the connections, but severed a few inches or so out of the unit. One connection is this rectangular black box an inch an a half or so by two inches by three to four inches with two cable plugs (unsure of the tech name) on one end and the two female on the other end. I'm pretty handy, and worked as an engineer in the oil field ages ago, but this setup eludes me. If anyone has any useful advice or thoughts to help me go forward, they would be greatly appreciated and warmly received...thanks all, my name is Kevin Havard, I'm 46 years old, strikingly unattractive, but thankfully married, two kids boy and a girl and a stepson. I drive a murdered out 2005 S Type Sport 4.2 that I will be adding 12mm wheel spacers to tomorrow, and at some point, adding a SUPERCHARGER as well...thanks in advance!!

Old 01-21-2021, 04:38 AM
Received 269 Likes on 205 Posts

In my opinion this is a non-starter. The amount of work and parts needed is just not worth it!

The NAV screen unit is controlled by, and gets its RGB video signal from the NAV DVD unit in the trunk/boot and will not work at all without this.

In addition, the Nav screen does not have the electronics to control the A/C that is built in the controls on the non-nav cars.

So, you will need:

The Nav DVD unit in the trunk/boot.
A d2b cable to connect the nav DVD unit into the d2b ring.
The A/C electronic control unit fitted only to cars with the NAV screen.

You may also still have to re-program the units using the Jaguar software, but this may give you problems as with an 04MY car you have to use IDS because SDD only works with 05MY or newer cars. I am not sure if modules programmed with later 05MY software updates can be re-programmed with the older IDS software. But I have never tried this so I do not know.

It also should be noted that the newest navigation DVD dates from 2012 so the maps are now somewhat out of date.

Mellow

Last edited by M-e-l-l-o-w; 01-21-2021 at 04:42 AM.
Aarcuda (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

I agree. The amount of things to be replace is many. And then I question whether the harnesses are even there. I know later models usually have the harnesses installed but not sure on the older models. And just swapping in a unit and associated modules will probably cause a conflict on the bus and may corrupt the data stored in other modules. Im an electrical engineer and id be hesitant to try this. Especially if the harnesses need to be installed and routed. Heck just moving some of the bus wires a few inches cause errors on my car due to signal integrity being degraded by electrical noise interference

Old 01-22-2021, 06:55 AM
Received 269 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by HAVAUDIO
I drive a murdered out 2005 S Type Sport 4.2 that I will be adding 12mm wheel spacers to tomorrow, and at some point, adding a SUPERCHARGER as well...thanks in advance!!
In regard to 'adding a supercharger' this is also again a non-starter in my opinion. Virtually every component is different on the STR to the Sport V8.
Even if you had a complete doner car it would be difficult and cost more than purchasing a good STR.
Basically if you want a supercharged S-Type the only sensible way is to purchase an STR in the first place.

Fitting wheel spaces will mess up the geometry quite a bit! The car will not handle any better and it will vastly increase tyre ware and reduce the life of all the suspension components. Again, it is just not worth the bother!
It will also mess up the aero and make you use more fuel especially on higher speed long runs. Again if you want an S-type that handles better get an STR!

Mellow

Last edited by M-e-l-l-o-w; 01-22-2021 at 07:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by M-e-l-l-o-w:
Aarcuda (01-22-2021), S-Type Owner (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

I agree with mellow

Quick Reply: S-Type radio upgrade if you dont have factory navigation: