S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the S Type really unpopular?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 09:17 AM
Received 10,503 Likes on 6,935 Posts

Having sold one of the V12's, wife looked at all sorts of replacements, including the X Type, but simply could not get her head around the Front Wheel Drive aspect.

She went into the X300 for a while, and loved it.

Found the Silver S Type (interstate), went and drove one nearer to home of the closest spec to the proposed, and loved it. The rest is history.

My physical challenges were making the entry and exit of the X300, and other models, quite difficult, due to the "sill hump" that they all have.

I found the Black beast, flew interstate and drove it home.

As some will know I have a very specific service procedure I do to all the cars I purchase, and there are simply NO shortcuts in that, and the reliability of ALL my Jags since 1968 has been superb. I have little faith in "dealer service history", although it is nice to see.

The S Types to us are superb cars, and drive extremely well. Comfort is slightly lacking from thf X300, but above the XJ-S's. Silent on the road, good economy, good performance, adequate creature comforts.

Granted, some issues with each when driving home from interstate, but once MY service was completed, ALL sweet. A couple of gremlins creep in now and then, but in reality, what car is gremlin free, HONESTLY. I work in the industry, and have done so for 50+ years and have seen and heard it all.

We like the X200 series, and are not really that taken by the X202 and X204 models, and that is purely our choice. I still like taking the mighty MK10 out for a blast, and I dont know too many people that really like that model at all, so be it.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (09-07-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Moss
I don't have to find faults, they are blindingly obvious and make their presence felt without any need to look for them. Maybe mine has been neglected mechanically but the poor quality of the interior fixtures and fittings is not a maintenance issue - it's design and manufacture.
I think if you compare your car to the Beemers and Mercs etc. of the era you'll find them lacking also. Mine sure did.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:14 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Dump yours and get a decent one. Yours is very old now anyway. I don't know how you couldn't see the interior items before you bought it.
I'll be dumping it soon but won't be buying another of any age. The driving position in the LHD models is just not comfortable on long runs (nowhere to put my right foot and that makes my hip and knee ache) which is a shame because it is comfortable, otherwise. I will probably replace it with something from GM - probably another Lumina (the local badge on the Holden Commodore). Reliable, solid, well built, comfortable, spares readily available at sensible prices etc.

The S-type is comfortable for short journeys, handles well and has a nice ride - it's just a pity that it was (apparently) built by chimpanzees using reject Ford parts.

The issue on the interior quality is really only one that shows itself as stuff starts falling apart in normal use. I expect that sort of thing from my 20 year old Jeep - but at least the replacement parts for that are a sensible price. That's what happens when you let heart rule head and assume that because a previous Jaguar was well screwed together, this one would be too

I'm hoping to manage to offload it in the next month or two

Last edited by Richard Moss; 08-30-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
I think if you compare your car to the Beemers and Mercs etc. of the era you'll find them lacking also. Mine sure did.
I wouldn't touch a 10 year old BMW, MB or VW/Audi model with a 10 foot bargepole.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:09 AM

I wouldn't touch a 10 year old BMW, MB or VW/Audi model with a 10 foot bargepole.
OK- what would you touch then?

Old 08-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two S Type's,one is a 1999 V6 Manual and the other one is a 2002 V6 Sport. I think they are as good as any other Jaguars.I cannot afford a new Jaguar so am not able to comment but there are two V12 XJS's along with a 4 Litre XJS and a 1960 Mk 2 in my family so I have something to compare with. I have owned the S Type V6 Sport for ten years and am still happy with it.

cinqueneuf (09-05-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

...The S-type is comfortable for short journeys, handles well and has a nice ride - it's just a pity that it was (apparently) built by chimpanzees using reject Ford parts.
Boy oh boy, what a comment! I'm sure a 13-year old Jag in Abu Dhabi needs regular service, shelter from sun and, above all, lots of TLC. If it gets all that, it should go well. But it ain't a Jeep or GM, so parts will never be cheap.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:43 PM
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Default In answer to your question, Yes!

Originally Posted by GrahamPhotog
I was browsing through this forum yesterday and saw that one member said that older S Types can be bought at very attractive prices because they are not very popular. As someone who will soon be in the market for a 10-12 year old Jag I am wondering if the S Type has some inherent flaws, or is it a design issue? Personally I like the look of the front grille of the S (especially the 2006 model), but never was very impressed with the rear design.
They are unattractive to the masses (sorry read target market), for various reasons.

Some of which are detail in the threads above.

Therefore do not sell and do not earn revenue for the manufacturer.

Whoever they are? This is a business and you have to get it right??

Does that mean they are bad or unpopular cars?

Let the owners be the judge of that!

Be happy in you ownership, if not move on, life is too short.

I own two of them.

Be happy and prosper.

if not then the other?

Bydand

Old 08-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Received 4,457 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Prince
I have two S Type's,one is a 1999 V6 Manual and the other one is a 2002 V6 Sport. I think they are as good as any other Jaguars.I cannot afford a new Jaguar so am not able to comment but there are two V12 XJS's along with a 4 Litre XJS and a 1960 Mk 2 in my family so I have something to compare with. I have owned the S Type V6 Sport for ten years and am still happy with it.
1st post from Ray! Welcome to the forum. I know you're not "new" but if you pop over to the New Members Area & introduce yourself. Cheers.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Based on my own tastes, I will complain about whole makes and models of vehicles for "bad" exterior style, "cheap plastic" interiors, or poor reliability. Heck, don't put me in 10 feet of a Dodge :O! But, to each his own. I've owned cars I ended up not liking, but I know what I want in a vehicle and won't judge others for finding perfectly good what I found perfectly bad in a car or truck or Buick Rendezvous.

I think most of us, other than folks in the automotive industry or people who've worked in a Jaguar dealership, haven't had the opportunity to drive more than a handful of any single Jaguar model. I don't think we can fairly say whether any model of vehicle is generally bad based on our limited exposure -- bad for you, sure.

Although, that said, when I read the comment about dumping the S-Type and getting a good car like a GM, I had to spit out my beer! Kavorkian-esque death traps, those cars! GM: Why walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, when you can drive?

::sarcasm alert::

Old 08-31-2014, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by jagastruckerhoodornament
to each his own. I've owned cars I ended up not liking, but I know what I want in a vehicle and won't judge others for finding perfectly good what I found perfectly bad in a car or truck or Buick Rendezvous.
Agreed. Others have enjoyed/are enjoying their S-type ownership experience, sadly I can not say the same. I had hoped that it would be as positive as my previous experiences with Xj6s but that has not been the case. The poor visibility (low roofline + bad pillar design) is frustrating and potentially dangerous in the slightly "wild" driving experience that we endure here. I thought that I could live with the numerous design deficiencies (such as the poor visibility and cramped seating) and maintenance-unfriendly mechanical design and had hoped that these negative aspects would be cancelled out by the other elements of Jaguar ownership - that special Jaguar feel, comfort, performance etc but the feel is missing and some aspects of the comfort are sadly lacking. Therefore I have failed to warm towards the car and it will have to go.

Originally Posted by jagastruckerhoodornament
Although, that said, when I read the comment about dumping the S-Type and getting a good car like a GM, I had to spit out my beer! Kavorkian-esque death traps, those cars! GM: Why walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, when you can drive?
::sarcasm alert::
I'm referring to the Australian built Commodore and Statesman (sold in these markets as the Lumina and Caprice). My experience with a Lumina Coupe (Monaro in the Oz and Uk market, Pontiac GTO in the USA) of the same vintage as the S-type was universally positive. More robust, as smooth, more comfortable, more economical and totally reliable in all respects apart from needing a new thermostat. No silly plastic chain tensioners or sticky DCCVs. Mechanical components that were actually accessible under the bonnet - simple stuff like actually being able to get to the spark plugs! Service parts were significantly cheaper and more readily available and nothing in the interior broke. Selling it to buy the S-type was a decision that I have come to regret. Oh well, live and learn.

I'm not expecting people to agree with my viewpoint, just trying to be honest and speak as I found.

Last edited by Richard Moss; 08-31-2014 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet the OP didn't expect all the above...
I would think that most folks on this forum actually like Jags. having said that, I am on my 3rd (2004 Xtype, 2003 S-type v8, and now my '05 STR) I (we) understand that these are older cars and will require some love. I am attracted to a car that IS different and not like all the rest. It needs to appeal to ME - no one else. I remember the days when cars looked different. You could tell what kind of car it was without having to look at its badge in the parking lot. Well..guess what? When you see an S-Type from some distance, you know it's a Jag.
just my 2 cents...
ken

Old 08-31-2014, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by ztocobra
When you see an S-Type from some distance, you know it's a Jag.
just my 2 cents...
ken
Except for those that think it's a Ford Taurus or a Hyundai.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Except for those that think it's a Ford Taurus or a Hyundai.
Well, the S-Type is pretty much a Ford Taurus -- according to my ex-mechanic

Old 09-01-2014, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

I recently met a know-it-all mechanic who mentioned the "trade" name for my car (related to a Ford Mondeo) and really couldn't grasp that an X-Type and STR are fairly unalike. I asked him which Mondeo had a 4.2 V8 with supercharger and was RWD. He was stuck.

Not all mechanics know everything...

Old 09-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Vintage versus state-of-the-art

Originally Posted by GT42R
The s-type styling, even at debut in '99, was considered, 'retro', and didn't age well since.

The modern jag's, starting with the 07+ XK and new XF, adopted a whole different styling direction for the brand. This leaves all the previous models really looking dated and completely irrelevant. Your average image-concious consumer wouldn't want to seen dead in an S-type sadly...
..as you might notice I removed those parts of yr response not relevant to the point I'd like to make:

When I had seen the first S-types hitting the road, I'd loved it for its retro design. And when I was looking for a car last fall I had to choose between a BMW 320 touring, an Audi A4 and the S-Type, which I finally bought. As you might notice I went for the S Type and not only because I got more car (by size, by option, by class) for less money - but also because its retro design means: it wont get "out of design fashion" as all those other cars ARE already!

Old 09-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I think the real problem is the old cliche from John Delorean.

You can sell a young man's car to an old man but you can't sell an old man's car to a young man.

GT42R (09-02-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 11:18 PM
Ira
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey GP,

After a 50-year wait, I finally got my Jag about 4 yrs ago.

It is a 3006 S-type with the 4.2 L engine. (I suggest you not get the small engine)

I absolutely, totally, fully and completely love it.

Yes, used Jags are a very good buy.
Things to watch out for:
Sun roof developed a leak

Front brakes turned out to be the 2007 model instead of the 2006.

The windscreen washer has a tendency to clog up over time. It is easy to fix if you have a lift.

Make sure that the garage mechanic doesn't overtighten the lug nuts. The supplied wrench isn't much good if they do.

You will probably find that the super-fancy, instantly adjusting headlamps have failed.
Don't spend big bucks to replace them.
They can be adjusted to the proper angle and will function as plain old stay-in-place lights.

If you are going to drive at speeds >100mph, get really good tires.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your cat.

Ira

Old 09-03-2014, 01:01 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I owned an S type, then an X type and then others cars. I just recently purchased a 2010 XF Premium V8 type. I loved my S type(retro), but hated the X type (boring) and now I love my XF ! I think there are many reason for unpopular rating one of which is a jaguar is viewed as a boutique brand name and therefore it is not for the "average" person. It looks and feels "upperclass" a cut above the rest Mercedes, BMW, lexus etc. As a car it turns heads more than any other traditional brand....but brings out an inferior complex in many people i.e. they are not deserving of such luxury. Jag is for the more discerning buyer who is looking for "beauty and the beast".

Old 09-03-2014, 01:55 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm very glad of the fact that the S-Type is less fashionable than other brands.

Firstly it means that a car of this quality is available at a price that I can afford and secondly that they're rather less common than BMW or Mercs. You don't notice the more popular brands because there are so many of them whereas I'd always notice a Jag, even before I became an owner.

The Jag is for the individualist, not for the person who follows the crowd.

I think part of the reason that it is seen as an older persons car, along with the Rover 75 which arrived at the same time, is that few Jags started their life as fleet cars, unlike Beemers and Mercs, and private purchasers who have the wherewithal to spend 30-40k on a car do tend to be older.

As for the rebodied Ford thing, who cares? So it uses parts from the Ford parts bin, including the excellent V6 engine. Suits me fine. It's still a Jag and it embodies everything I've always associated with Jags.

Grace, space and pace. However it's achieved.

Quick Reply: Is the S Type really unpopular?