Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type Reliability Rate

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009 | 11:23 AM
|
Veteran Member
Default S-Type Reliability Rate

Just for grins I calculated the reliability rate of my S-Type so far. I came up with a 99% rate. The downtimes were covered by warranty work which consisted of:

Replace coolant tank $125 no cost to me
J004 re-flash UNK no cost to me
Replace Differential $3100 no cost to me

So far, the only costs incurred are normal maintenance items such as filters, cleaning materials and gas. Overall I would rate this as pretty good reliability so far. The dealership I do business with has been pretty good as well, with the only issue being that the lot boy decided cleaning my wheels with kerosene was a good idea. I found this out when I noticed my wheels were accumulating brake dust faster than the normal ridiculous rate and I went to clean them.

Mike

Old 10-01-2009 | 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Our S-Type (same model year and engine as yours, Mike) is probably in the same reliability category as yours. The only issue we've had that immediately affected drivability was the very unfortunate limp home mode problem that happened with my wife behind the wheel back in mid-May. A new throttle body installed under warranty fixed that issue....

Since our S-Type was hit in the August 3rd accident, however, we did have the check engine light come on a couple of days after we got the car back from initially completed repairs. It had thrown a misfire code in cylinder 3. The coil was switched with cylinder 2 and the spark plug was switched with cylinder 1 after the code was cleared. Now at about 1,700 miles later, no additional codes have been thrown and no additional problems have shown up. But I still believe that it is too early to proclaim that the car is completely restored to the condition it was in prior to getting plowed. The good news is that my wife's confidence in the car is gradually coming back with each passing day....

Old 10-01-2009 | 12:12 PM

I am getting a bit worried. I have had the car back to Jaguar to replace the transmission oil cooling filter. On agreeing to buy our car the garage fixed the airbag warning light, which involved a refurbished ECU and I am now onto the third attempt to sort a wheel wobble. I met someone who runs a chauffer drive company which runs Jags and he kindly offered the services of his mechanic to check the wheels. We found that a wishbone had been re-newed, but we also found that one of the bushes is cracked and that one of the locking nuts revolves without coming off.

So far I have not had to pay for anything, but sorting the bush and wheel nut will mean the car's 4th trip to a garage in 2 months. Not the greatest of starts.

Old 10-01-2009 | 12:46 PM
|
Veteran Member

Hi Delta66,

Is it possible your car was in a collision? If the airbag warning light issue is related to replacing the wishbone along with lock nut problem it appears that may be the case. Do you have CARFAX or something similar in the UK that would disclose the vehicle history.

Good luck,

Mike

Old 10-01-2009 | 01:26 PM

Hi carelm. I was starting to think something along those lines. I forget to mention the other issue which is that unless I slam the bonnet (hood) it does not quite catch. So at speed the very scarey warning comes up 'bonnet open'! There is no chance of it coming open. I found that one of the small springs does not fully retract, so I oiled it.

But the mechanic who checked it over commented that it is in very good condition and work such as the wishbone shows that it has been maintained. We were all over underneath the car and there is no sign of any repairs.

The dealer I bought the car off does a history check to make sure they are not being sold a dog when they take a trade in. They did it for my car. So I know that there is no finance outstanding and it has not been in an insurance job accident.

My last car cost me £150 to get it to my standard. A large chunk of that was replacing the space saver with a full sized spare. But we lived in a very remote are then and I did not fancy any trip on a space saver. That is not such an issue now we are near the city.

Old 10-01-2009 | 10:00 PM

can you guys all post how long you've had your jags +milage?

Old 10-01-2009 | 10:36 PM

Ok,, I bought my jag(2003 Jaguar S type R) new in July 2002, order if from San jose British Motors.

Never had a problem with it. until about 1 month ago.

1. at 53K was driving home from Hot August Nights in Reno, NV, right side fuel pump went out. I had the Jag extended warranty, but it had expired. So the whole time I had a warranty I never had to use it. Go figure. Took into jag dealer for repair cost $1000 to fix. Would have replaced it myself but could not find my JTIS CD.

2. About 1 month later,, At 54k Power Steering goes out. see post https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=25972.

Other then that never had a problem with it.. but lets see what happens next.

Old 10-01-2009 | 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by styper2003
Ok,, I bought my jag(2003 Jaguar S type R) new in July 2002, order if from San jose British Motors.

Never had a problem with it. until about 1 month ago.

1. at 53K was driving home from Hot August Nights in Reno, NV, right side fuel pump went out. I had the Jag extended warranty, but it had expired. So the whole time I had a warranty I never had to use it. Go figure. Took into jag dealer for repair cost $1000 to fix. Would have replaced it myself but could not find my JTIS CD.

2. About 1 month later,, At 54k Power Steering goes out. see post https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=25972.

Other then that never had a problem with it.. but lets see what happens next.
WOW. WTF? $1000.00 just to fix 1 part, and you bought this thing new?

I'm gonna have a hard time if my jag breaks down. I'm only 18.

Old 10-01-2009 | 11:15 PM

yup 1K, I bought my car brand new, I was 25 when I got it. paid around 78k out the door, then dropped another 9k on my wheels. never had a problem, even though I had the extended warranty.. I would have done the fuel pump myself cause it was heck easy, but could not find my manual..

The pump cost over 500, then they charge me 135 diagnose fee and then another 400 for labor, I remember the check out lady was tripping cause I paid in cash,..

In the early years of me owning the car, even though I had a warranty I would do any maintenance( Brakes, filters, etc) work myself. I remember to do the brakes(Bremo) the dealer wanted 2k..

If you just got yours, you better know how to work on the cars, if you don't and run into any problems will be paying out your butt for repairs, look around the forum and see what other S type owners are saying.

Even if I did not go to the dealer to fix my fuel pump it would have been at least $550 for the pump, that is the only place you can get it.

Old 10-02-2009 | 07:47 AM
|
Veteran Member

I've had mine about 10 months. Currently has 56K miles on it. I have put about 7000 miles on it since purchase.

Mike

Old 10-02-2009 | 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

Ours was purchased in December 2008 at just over 18,000 miles. It will pass 34,000 miles this weekend....

Old 10-02-2009 | 05:46 PM

I have had mine for 2 months and it has covered 42,000 miles, 41,500 with the one previous owner who kept it in immaculate condition and a full service history.

Old 10-02-2009 | 10:28 PM

I bought my CPO 06 S-Type VDP in Jan. this year with 48K miles on her. I've put 8K more on her so far. The dealer replaced the hood pad under warranty at no cost to me. I recently put $1100 in her for new tires, an alignment, and new rear brake pads. I did the pad replacement myself. Other than a premature rear brake wear problem, which I think I've solved, the car has exceeded my expectations.

Regards:
Oldengineer