S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

s type slowly falling apart

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default s type slowly falling apart

so i have a 2001 s type and its got a couple problems ide like to fix. all these little things keep building up so i think its about time to take care of them. looking for some input.

1) rear seat pop out cupholder wont stay in
2)ignition wont go from accessory to off so i end up with a dead battery sometimes
3) "premium" sound bar stopped working... speakers checked out okay so im convinced its the wiring (already checked fuses) just not sure whats what since i couldnt find diagrams in jtis that relate to what i see in my car
4)still no hot air the thread that was going just stopped a few months back. someone mentioned an aux pump but i dont know what it looks like and haven't been able to find where its located.
5) steering wheel shakes a little at 55 plus (does this mean its time for an alignment?)

thanks

Old 06-30-2011, 06:16 AM
Received 6,324 Likes on 5,510 Posts

1 Duct tape?

2 Probably wants a new switch

3 There are diagrams in the FAQ's

4 What engine?

5 Probably balance and alignment

Old 06-30-2011, 01:31 PM

1 Duct tape? lol

2 Probably wants a new switch yeah but can i change just the switch without needing new keys etc etc.

3 There are diagrams in the FAQ's okay ill look didnt see them before

4 What engine? 4.0

5 Probably balance and alignment figured

Old 06-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Probably says in JTIS. Free if you look or cheap on ebay. JTIS has all the diagrams already and lots more.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1.If you buy a new rear cup holder let me know I'll buy your old one I need just the rightside cover.
2. Sedakai appears to have your answer talk to him
3.check for power into the sound bar at the sound bar. Not to sure I would have to sit down with multimeterand prints if it was mine.
4.idk
5. Tire balance or sticking caliper and warped rotor. I have a sticking caliper, I can tell by the warped rotor for the first few miles and excessive brake dust.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Received 6,324 Likes on 5,510 Posts

[quote=sedakai;371523]

2 Probably wants a new switch yeah but can i change just the switch without needing new keys etc etc.

I'd expect you can re-key the switch, maybe someone can confirm.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
Probably says in JTIS. Free if you look or cheap on ebay. JTIS has all the diagrams already and lots more.

ive checked JTIS and the diagram didnt correspond

Old 06-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why are these very expensive cars such a POS when at 15,000 honda will run for 250,000 miles without a problem other than routine maintenance. Almost all cars, even the cheapest ones are reliable. Why not Jags?

Old 07-01-2011, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sedakai
ive checked JTIS and the diagram didnt correspond
Which one did you end up using?

Last edited by JagV8; 07-01-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by porkenstein
Why are these very expensive cars such a POS when at 15,000 honda will run for 250,000 miles without a problem other than routine maintenance. Almost all cars, even the cheapest ones are reliable. Why not Jags?
You need to visit a few more forums..........

I'd mention Toyotas, very reliable
at accelerating!

But also to ask: which costs most to own, a thoroughbred racing horse or a donkey on the beach?

Old 07-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The body seams were splitting on my 98 civic when I sold it at 220k. No racing springs and struts, just 25mm rear swaybar and radius kit. I drive hard but But take care of my toys.
Sorry about #2, I just noticed that sedakai was the starter of the post. However, If I'm thinking rightand its like most cars where the electrical switch is attached to the lock mechanism , you should be able to swap out the electrical part of the switch which would be the gated springloaded return part without change the lock/key part. I'm not for sure can someone else confirm this?

Old 07-01-2011, 08:36 AM

You need to visit a few more forums..........

I'd mention Toyotas, very reliable
at accelerating!

But also to ask: which costs most to own, a thoroughbred racing horse or a donkey on the beach?
Don't get me wrong. I love my Jaguar but I am not going to keep it. My corvette runs circles around it and is totally reliable. These days you can have performance and still have reliability. I think Jaguar falls way short. The Jags going along with my older Vette. Can't afford a brand new one but maybe a 2008 but for sure a C6 and hopefully a Z06.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

Don't get me wrong. I love my Jaguar but I am not going to keep it. My corvette runs circles around it and is totally reliable. These days you can have performance and still have reliability. I think Jaguar falls way short. The Jags going along with my older Vette. Can't afford a brand new one but maybe a 2008 but for sure a C6 and hopefully a Z06.
I don't blame you at all for doing as you see fit but I don't believe you're right about being able to have performance and reliabilty with a modern car. There are now so many legal (and to some extent market) issues that they're stuffed with sensors, actuators, wires, electrics & electronics. They're just not going to be reliable over the 10+ years I'd like.

The things such as EGR, EVAP, SAIR, etc etc are going to cause issues, never mind the modules and wiring.
Many items have to be fitted by law (think emissions).

My take is that a random collection of sensors, actuators etc will need replacing on any modern car over that sort of time.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:47 AM

I guess I was just comparing it to my corvette I own. It's a little bit newer and I just don't have any of the problems of my Jag. The convertible hose problem is inexcusable in my opinion. That should have been fixed long ago and they should have even fixed it for cars out of warranty. To get showered with hydraulic fluid from putting the top up is beyond bad. I will always have a love for the looks of the car though.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

But you can't compare the interior of a corvette to a jag. That's just one thing american cars have never done properly, even cadillac feels cheap to me inside.

As for Toyota, considering how many they sell in comparison to Jaguar, it helps reduce cost while providing them with more opportunity to work out the bugs.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:11 AM

You are sure correct there. Especially Chevrolet has crappy interiors on most of their cars and even the nicest ones don't compare to the beauty of the Jag.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by phaelax
As for Toyota, considering how many they sell in comparison to Jaguar, it helps reduce cost while providing them with more opportunity to work out the bugs.
Apart from the accelerator issues. Oh, and brakes. Many recalls over here on both issues - but only after the media exposure was so big they had to.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check out your brakes too, for your item #5 sometimes that is a sign it it time for new brakes, was in my Jag anyway

Old 07-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by phaelax
But you can't compare the interior of a corvette to a jag. That's just one thing american cars have never done properly, even cadillac feels cheap to me inside.

I will vouch for that owning both! My '05 ESV Platinum interior is falling apart, so is everyone else's on the caddy forum.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

My take is that a random collection of sensors, actuators etc will need replacing on any modern car over that sort of time.
LOL! A random collection eh? I've never heard Jaguar engineering described quite that way before.

Unfortunately I know what you're getting at. Try a modern Maserati of the same vintage and it's even worse. Many dealer trips for simple resets of the ECU. A dealer only tool too! They have a paddle shifting gearbox (not automatic based) that has troublesome issues with sensors occasionally reporting an error and then it's limp all the way to the dealer. Ferrari & Aston as well.

I think Jaguar does better.

Cars are just so GD complicated now than when you had a really good chassis with a sweet, powerful motor and a nice 5 speed. Half the car is electronics these days. So how glitch free is your cell phone, DVR or your home PC?

Besides, most people are so focused on their personal electronics and tunes blaring in the car it's amazing even more people aren't killed by these yahoos.

They should pass a law allowing you to shoot on site anyone caught texting and driving. Just kidding ...

Quick Reply: s type slowly falling apart