S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S type steering fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S type steering fluid leak

I have a 2000 S type with 133k miles on it. Recently my power steering fluid started to leak. First there was a very small circle on my driveway but within a week it has become so bad that 1/4 of the resevoir can drain out during the 15 hours the car is parked overnight. I took the air filter box out and check for the leak. It was dripping off of the bottom clamp on the large hosewhere it hooks to the 45 degree elbow coming from the steering pump. I checked the large hose and could not find a cut or hole. I check the reservoir and found no cracks or damage. Is there an O ring in that elbow that might be leaking successively more? Thanks in advance for ANY help.

Cajun

Old 11-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Default RE: S type steering fluid leak

YEP CLEAN IT REAL WELL WITH A CAN OF BRAKE CLEAN TO IDENTIFY THE SORCE, BUT THE MOST COMMON POWER STEERING LEAK ON THAT MODEL IS THE LINE FROM THE PUMP TO THE RACK. GET THE WHOLE LINE EVEN THOUGH IT MAY BE 2 PPICE SINCE THERE A PART CHANGE AND YOU CANT REPLACE PART OF IT, THE NEW LINE ISNT COMPATIBLE WITH THE OLD IF DONE IN SECTIONS.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BRUTAL

YEP CLEAN IT REAL WELL WITH A CAN OF BRAKE CLEAN TO IDENTIFY THE SORCE, BUT THE MOST COMMON POWER STEERING LEAK ON THAT MODEL IS THE LINE FROM THE PUMP TO THE RACK. GET THE WHOLE LINE EVEN THOUGH IT MAY BE 2 PPICE SINCE THERE A PART CHANGE AND YOU CANT REPLACE PART OF IT, THE NEW LINE ISNT COMPATIBLE WITH THE OLD IF DONE IN SECTIONS.
The line where it was dripping from is the large hose from the reservoir to the steering pump. The fluid is dripping from the bottom of the squeeze clamp where the hose hooks to the metal elbow coming out of the steering pump. I see the smaller hose from the reservior but that goes up into the radiator area somewhere and there is no leak there. Who is our resident mechanical expert? I might take some pics and send to him to get his take. I think that the leak is a product of fluid leaking from that elbow/hose connection.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

ORIGINAL: ccajun4real

IT MAY BE 2 PPICE SINCE THERE A PART CHANGE AND YOU CANT REPLACE PART OF IT, THE NEW LINE ISNT COMPATIBLE WITH THE OLD IF DONE IN SECTIONS.
Who is our resident mechanical expert? I might take some pics and send to him to get his take. I think that the leak is a product of fluid leaking from that elbow/hose connection.
I think SHES off on vacation........

Old 11-12-2008, 02:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ccajun4real

The line where it was dripping from is the large hose from the reservoir to the steering pump. The fluid is dripping from the bottom of the squeeze clamp where the hose hooks to the metal elbow coming out of the steering pump. I see the smaller hose from the reservior but that goes up into the radiator area somewhere and there is no leak there. Who is our resident mechanical expert? I might take some pics and send to him to get his take. I think that the leak is a product of fluid leaking from that elbow/hose connection.
You just got his take.