Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Type Stereo Harness

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S Type Stereo Harness

Hello

I recently bought a fairly basic spec 1999 S type and have a few questions about the stereo harness after trying to fit an aftermarket double din unit. I have a tape player headunit with the dolby button not 'DSP' which I assume means it is the non-premium sound system, but I have a factory amp of some sort in the boot and the rear of the stereo is marked 'premium'.

I had bought the autoleads 2-08-4 lead which I assumed is for the non amplified systems (which I thought I had) and this is nowhere near correct, I appear to have three evenly sized connectors instead of two and also a square connector lower on the stereo. There are no signs of someone having butchered or added to he harness and it all looks factory fitted.

Is it possible to convert this lot to ISO?
Does anyone know where I can find a suitable harness to convert to ISO?
Do I have the premium sound system or at least some parts of it?
What are the four main connectors I have found for?

Thanks !

Old 05-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You might can try installer.com they have slot of harnesses, ISO and more etc me know if this help

Old 05-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The labelling is confusing? I have just converted my 1999 3.0se to "Premium Sound". This is what I found after recovering all the necessary parts from a scrapyard 1999 S-type with "Premium Sound".

The premium sound radio unit has a sticker on the back with "Europe Audiophile" and an additional square shaped black socket for the sub-amp (I think). It also has three rectangular grey sockets and a square shaped green socket. These are also found on the non-premium radio.

It also has the DSP button on the front facia (and Premium Sound label on the top of the front facia above the cassette opening).

The original non-premium sound radio unit has a sticker on the back with "Europe Premium" and the Dolby button on the front. Hence the confusing labelling!!

Interestingly, the additional piece of wiring loom and connector was already in situ and just taped up to one of the wiring looms behind the radio.

I also had to add the centre speakers/speaker grilles either side of the centre console and the small amp that powers them (located high up to the right of the steering wheel behind the cover). The wiring and connectors for the amp and speakers where already in situ just taped up to an adjacent wiring loom.

The main part of the system is the big black plastic sub-woofer with a seperate amp and two speakers built in.

This sits below the rear parcel shelf inside the boot. There are already holes punched out of the metal of the parcel shelf.

Again the wiring loom and connector was already in situ. There are also two plastic speaker grills cut into the parcel shelf either side of the rear window stop light.

The system also has additional tweeters built into the door speaker assemblies. I had already replaced the basic speakers with after market
ones some years earlier so I did not bother fitting the J"Premium" Jag items.

Was it worth it? Well I got all the additional bits for £25 (a bargain) and because all the wiring and connectors where all in situ it made fitting easy.

The hardest part was cutting the holes in the centre console for the centre speakers and speaker grilles and also cutting the additional speaker holes in the parcel shelf for the speaker grilles.

Overal, the base is certainly better particularly when playing CD's but for normal radio it does not sound any better and the additional menu's available on the DSP button are a bit of a gimick.

Hope this is of some use.

Last edited by carfix; 05-05-2012 at 11:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
huwr (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help, certainly clears up the confusing labeling!

Only question left is why there are three connectors, which don't appear to split in to the normal power+speakers ISO setup and why the autoleads non amplified harness doesn't fit?

Old 05-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What does ISO and DSP mean? I looking at upgrading my radio in my 2000 s-type
Richard