S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type to STR suspension/brake upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-Type to STR suspension/brake upgrade?

Other then the obvious, which is to just buy an STR, what are the various differences between their major suspension components?

From best I can tell, to upgrade my 05 S-Type to an 05 STR suspension, I would need knuckles (all 4), front UCA, front sway bar, calipers and rotors, and the cable for the parking caliper on the rears.

That sound about right? Or are the LCA, rear control arms different? I am not wanting to get the CATS setup so I shouldn't need any of that.

I tried searching through the forum and around page 10 decided that the question was buried or not asked directly. If anyone can point me in the direction of a search term to use to find it I would appreciate it. "STR upgrade" and "STR brake" didn't return much, other then comparing 03-05 and 06-08.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:11 AM

I forgot the struts/springs, so those too.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:47 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

To be honest, never heard of anyone spending that kind of money to alter a regular S Type therefore you are correct that a search would not return much. I've been on here for a few years and never saw a thread like you are looking for.

If I was going to do it (I sort of am, only slowly replacing 300C suspension components with those of the SRT8 300) here is how I would do it (how I am doing it).

Get a manufacturer's parts catalog. Don't use the generic parts suppliers. A trusted contact at the dealer works as well. For each component see if the manufacturer has different part numbers for the different cars. If it is a different part number, there normally is a difference. An example of this is upper control arms on my 300. The castings are the same for the SRT and C but the part numbers are different due to non-serviceable bushings pressed in to the arms.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Some of the arms are heavier duty for the STR.

I wonder if the ABS changes.......

I also have never heard of anyone doing it. I don't understand why anyone would LOL

Old 08-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

I've owned both a base and currently a STR...Suspension isn't all that much better, in fact a lot of folks get the non-CATs bilstein struts/shocks...Brakes on the other hand are much better which also add to the "eye candy" or appearance when parked unlike the suspension...Be advised just in rotors weight you're increasing it by 25lbs and will probably need larger and heavier wheels which is going to equal a slower car...

Old 08-28-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bacardi 151
I've owned both a base and currently a STR...Suspension isn't all that much better, in fact a lot of folks get the non-CATs bilstein struts/shocks...Brakes on the other hand are much better which also add to the "eye candy" or appearance when parked unlike the suspension...Be advised just in rotors weight you're increasing it by 25lbs and will probably need larger and heavier wheels which is going to equal a slower car...
Well, just to get the brakes I would need knuckles, calipers, brackets, rotors, and parking brake cables. Is the STR lower then a regular s-type?

Old 08-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kumba
Well, just to get the brakes I would need knuckles, calipers, brackets, rotors, and parking brake cables. Is the STR lower then a regular s-type?

Let's backpedal...Is selling your car and buying a STR a possibility?

Old 08-28-2011, 09:09 PM

Let's backpedal...Is selling your car and buying a STR a possibility?
Sure it is, all I have to do is spend money. But the bigger picture for me is to do an engine swap with a 6-sp manual and an 8.8" pumpkin conversion. If that is the plan, then all I am missing to be where I want is the STR's brembo setup and different suspension tuning. Since the STR is a good 3-6K premium (depending upon mileage) around here, the question becomes if I can sell my s-type, buy an STR, and then sell the SC 4.2L engine and break even. So far I haven't been able to convince myself that I can.

On the other hand, as best as I can figure out from my parts list, I would be looking at around $3K to buy the parts. That's a mix of OEM, Aftermarket, and some used/salvage pieces. If I could find a wrecked STR somewhere to get the knuckles then that would probably be less.

I also understand that the whole argument about saving money in light of what I am doing is somewhat moot as well, but I would at least like to say that I entertained all options.

Thanks for all the input guys! I found a link to a 2000-2005 S-Type shop parts manual and have been mulling through it comparing numbers.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:20 AM
Veteran Member

6-sp manual? Is that the preferred goal? With a 3.0 engine?

Old 08-29-2011, 08:06 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Kumba
....... But the bigger picture for me is to do an engine swap with a 6-sp manual and an 8.8" pumpkin conversion. ....... the question becomes if I can sell my s-type, buy an STR, and then sell the SC 4.2L engine and break even..
I"m confused by the two excerpts from your post quoted above.

In that scenario, you now have an STR shell and no engine since you sold your S Type as well as the supercharged 4.2....

I'm really confused as to what you are trying to achieve.

If it is firming up the standard suspension and upgrading the brakes on a naturally aspirated V8 car, yes you are looking at $3,000 plus (using mainly used parts). Now the whole 6 speed manual thing throws me for a loop. That has been discussed here before and you are really opening up a can of worms. The only 6 speed manual trans ever made to bolt into the S Type was in the diesel cars in Europe. So, importing a transmission will be very costly... Then there is the cost to have someone build one off computer controls to just run the car... I wouldn't even begin to estimate what that would cost and even if there is a firm out there that could....

Old 08-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

I think I got it, he has a non-STR S-Type and wants to put in a non-Jag engine and non-Jag 6-speed...Also wants to upgrade the susupension and brakes to STR...

Old 08-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Veteran member

I think I got it, he has a non-STR S-Type and wants to put in a non-Jag engine and non-Jag 6-speed...Also wants to upgrade the susupension and brakes to STR...
If that is the case... Then the OP needs to read through this thread.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-engine-33719/

As of June of this year Tijoe has not updated / nor has he got the electronics sorted out....

Honestly, I'd love to see someone actually get it done. Yet to see it working...

So, I think buying a bunch of STR suspension and brake parts would be the least of my worries...

Old 08-29-2011, 11:56 AM

Yes, that is the idea. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. The engine and tranny I am looking at is the new Ford 5.0L V8 Coyote and it's matched 6-speed manual with an 8.8" IRS upgrade out back with 4:10 and a truetrac LSD. Then if that ever gets boring I can always reach for boost. But to match all that I would need to give the car a lower center of gravity, increased spring rates, more swaybar, and better brakes. That is where the STR parts come in.

I could buy a mustang and get all that too, but then I would have to drive a mustang. The option doesn't appeal to me. Besides, I like the idea of a sleeper.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Sounds interesting....challenging but very interesting.

Now your suspension/brake questions do make sense...

What are you going to do with engine management? Going to rip out all the Jag stuff and go with Mustang-compatible ECU's?

Old 08-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm not sure if anyone considered the engineering difference, what is the weight of the 3.0 vs. the 4.2SC? I'd think that the ride height of a 3.0 with STR suspension would not respond up front that way it should. The rear, not so much. But the front rates would be very different.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Chris X
Sounds interesting....challenging but very interesting.

Now your suspension/brake questions do make sense...

What are you going to do with engine management? Going to rip out all the Jag stuff and go with Mustang-compatible ECU's?

I have pretty much relegated myself to the fact that I am going to have to swap ECU's and do a ton of rework to get all the electronic parts of the car functional again. Some things I plan to just give up initially in order to simplify the ECU setup (like advancetrac). I think the real issue will come when I look into making the key fob, cluster, and all that talk.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:15 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by SchultzLD
I'm not sure if anyone considered the engineering difference, what is the weight of the 3.0 vs. the 4.2SC? I'd think that the ride height of a 3.0 with STR suspension would not respond up front that way it should. The rear, not so much. But the front rates would be very different.
Actually, in this project the reverse may be true. I'm sure a Ford V8 weighs more than the 4.2 Jag V8....

Old 08-31-2011, 06:23 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

Ahhh, I only read the first few posts. (I should read threads in entirety before putting my two cents in...) Thx Jeff.

Now that I read it all, I'm wondering what I would do if I had that much money to blow...

Old 08-31-2011, 06:33 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by SchultzLD
Ahhh, I only read the first few posts. (I should read threads in entirety before putting my two cents in...) Thx Jeff.

Now that I read it all, I'm wondering what I would do if I had that much money to blow...
Me??? Well, I guess it would be the XJR I've actually always wanted.... LOL

Old 08-31-2011, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member

It'll be very interesting but I think scarily expensive. I'd start with a different body with already-fitted good suspension/brakes/etc (STR, if S-Type).

Quick Reply: S-Type to STR suspension/brake upgrade?