Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Type Summer Meet - East ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts
Exclamation S Type Summer Meet - East ?

May as well start a fresh thread and see where it goes.

We appear to have a good number of STR owners on the East Coast/Mid-Atlantic area, as well as some non-STR S-type owners too.

So, let's get some ideas for a possible meet up this summer and see if it is feasible.

I'll start off with this idea:

There is a British Car Show sponsored by the Jaguar Club of Pittsburgh in a local park called Hartwood Acres on September 25th (Sunday) from 9am to 4pm. The show is open to antique, classic and new British cars, so maybe we could have a mini-show and shine type of thing?

One of our forum members, Bodyman, has been to this event and maybe he will chime in with his perspective.

I would have suggested the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix weekend in July, but I might be out of town (although if you guys are interested in that event, it is July 23-24).

That's just an idea - it depends on where a good central location for meeting up would be. Pittsburgh is about 2.5 hours from Columbus, 1.5 hours from Cleveland, about 5.5 hours from Philadelphia, maybe 2.5 hours from Buffalo.

So let's get the ball rolling and see if there is some interest in meeting up, be it for this event or some other event - let's hear some feedback!

Last edited by The Chris X; 03-08-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Works for me, I am in Kentucky.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I suggest Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ. A central location (maybe?) and best of all we can run our cars!

http://www.etownraceway.com/

Old 03-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Man that would be a road trip!! but sounds like fun.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I would be up for it....

Old 03-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

I say lets do it in Florida, best place to be in the summer time

Old 03-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

I kinda liked the idea of meeting up around TN. Some guys had some good posts about some of the other fun roads besides the tail of the dragon but were near there. Not sure how close Pigeon Forge is but lots to do and can check out these secret roads. I am definitly gonna try to make a meet just hope its not too far.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Count me in if we should all decide on a place and time...Too far north then too far for some; same for the south. What about halfway...like Virginia? Is this to be an STR meet or all "S"'s? Doesn't matter to me. It'll be a nice time for all forum members if that's the case.

Last edited by bfsgross; 03-07-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You can probably count me in depending where you decide? I am 5hrs from Boston- 4.5 hrs from NY- 2.5 hrs from Bufalo- 4.5 hrs from Harrisburg PA. So hopefully not too far from where you decide? 2004 STR

Old 03-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

If anyone is interested in joining the Bullrun this year let me know. Nobody has ever brought an R there before, I think it would be great. Split the 10k entry fee 50/50...?

Old 03-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by 08Z06
If anyone is interested in joining the Bullrun this year let me know. Nobody has ever brought an R there before, I think it would be great. Split the 10k entry fee 50/50...?
Oh I would be so down for that depending on the timing!

As far as the meet is concerned, I know it was asked, but not answered... STR's only Or S's too?

(Although I may have an R by then).

Take care,

George

Old 03-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by androulakis
Oh I would be so down for that depending on the timing!

As far as the meet is concerned, I know it was asked, but not answered... STR's only Or S's too?

(Although I may have an R by then).

Take care,

George
I say all, dont want to discriminate against the non-R crowd they are active on here too. Be sweet to get a pic of a nice S-type train going down the road. They do a meet every year for my Marauder I used to have and the sight of 50 Marauders in a row cruising around was sweet. Be even more sweet if it was S-types.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in if not too terribly far.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

X2 for all "S" to meet. Not to get up on a salt box but...We all belong to an "S" forum.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kemp neal
Count me in if not too terribly far.
Just saw you were from Southern Pines. My father-in-law lives in Pinehurst. If this meet happens we should convoy out to it since we arent far from each other.
I say we try to find a place near where at least one person lives and centralized to the east coast so they can set up things to do and stuff going on then we can make a weekend out of it.
If we can set something up and its a success maybe have it an annual event with a rotating venue. I'll try to make it whereever it is I just dont want to drive 10 hours for a few hour get together. I'd rather have a nice weekend of S type fun.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:48 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

[quote=The Chris X;316612There is a British Car Show sponsored by the Jaguar Club of Pittsburgh in a local park called Hartwood Acres on September 25th (Sunday) from 9am to 4pm. The show is open to antique, classic and new British cars, so maybe we could have a mini-show and shine type of thing?
[/quote]

Ummm... Can I come??? I promise I'll park the 300 far away and just look....

Seriously Chris... How large is the show? Cleveland has one as well, but it is real small. I'd like to plan a day trip with the kids (or just Aidan) to see it...

Old 03-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member

You know when I started the thread I realized I screwed up by having "STR" in the title. It should have said S-Type Summer Meet - East. My apologies to all the crew, of course we should welcome and want S-Types of all flavors to attend. Caddilac or one of the mods - can you change the thread title to replace "STR" with "S-Type" ?

Some good ideas, keep them coming. I suggest we try to base the meet on some type of car related event. This automatically gives us "something to do" right off the bat, and then perhaps we could line up a nice long drive afterwards or something like that.

I also suggest that it takes place at or near the hometown of one of the forum members. This will help tremendously with organization and having someone with intimate knowledge of the area would be a good thing.

I suggested Pittsburgh obviously because that's where I live, I know of an event that would be a good fit, and there are plenty of places to stay and a good sized city very close that would offer additional things to do/see, and things here are pretty inexpensive. I would also probably invite everyone to my place to have a few drinks or something like that after the show (don't tell my wife ).....

But I want to be flexible and hear as many options as possible from everyone. If we can pull off a good "first run" of this meeting, that might help us turn it into an annual thing.

My grandparents live in Pinehurst N.C., so I'd have a place to stay there if we ended up choosing that location.

One last thing, maybe we can get a list going of where everyone lives? That way we can take a look and consider geography. I don't want to offend anyone but I just noticed that we have a good number of members in the mid-atlantic area so maybe we can kind of limit the options to that area?

Jag79 - yer nutz! I'd melt in the Florida summer sun!

Old 03-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Montreal during Formula 1. Best place on Earth.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Ummm... Can I come??? I promise I'll park the 300 far away and just look....

Seriously Chris... How large is the show? Cleveland has one as well, but it is real small. I'd like to plan a day trip with the kids (or just Aidan) to see it...

Of course you'd be welcome Jeff! I can't make any promises about not getting razzed for the 300 though.

I'm not sure how big the Hartwood show is, it's not as big as an event at Carlisle or anything like that. Maybe i'll see if i can get a hold of a Jaguar Club of Pittsburgh member and see what they say about it. Bodyman - if you read this can you chime in?

The Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix on the other hand, is a huge event and certainly worth the short drive from Akron to check it out. It is very kid friendly too. Here is the website for that event: http://www.pittsburghvintagegrandpri...te/default.asp

Old 03-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

Hey guys, I'm flexible. Let me know what I can do to help.

Quick Reply: S Type Summer Meet - East ?