S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type Supercharged..Dissapointment

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow - quite the post. Opinions are always important but it sounds like you're trying to either gain support for your decision or make everyone feel bad about the one they made; i.e. buying the STR in the first place.

For the record (and my money) I found it difficult to get a 4 door, 400Hp, one of the best interiors I've seen with 14K on the odometer for the price I paid.

This is also my 2nd STR. The first one - a 2003 I bought uninformed and without the diligence I should have used. The car was less than wonderful and, pure and simple, it was my own fault. Shame on me and I should have known better after owning 21 cars in the last 19 years.

My 2nd one is a 2005 and has been rock solid (knock on wood). For the money paid (and in my opinion) there is no equal. The quality, fit and finish are wonderful and compared to my friend's 550 it is a world better.

God help anyone if they believe they can maintain this car with a budget that is typically associated for a new car that would sell at the same price of a used Jag; i.e. $20,000 to $30,000. The entry price is cheap (relative to its original price) but you need to be prepared to spend the amounts associated with a $60K car.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 03 has been nothing less than great. Bought it 10 months ago and by far the "bang for the buck" among high horsepower 4 door cars.
Sorry you had a bad experience, but any model of car can have bad apples among them...maybe you should have been more picky in the first place when looking for a car.
As far as price dropping, don't cry...I rebuild and service alot of 355 Ferrari engines, those guys have taken a huge hit in values with the current economy. Not to mention they routinely have header/valve guide/cylinder sleeve issues that can cost an engine rebuild costing 18K and up and most of them pay the price and go on because they have a passion for the marque. Maybe you should have bought a BMW 3 series like tens of thousands of others and skipped on the Jaguar heritage that so many people want to be part of.....I'd like to think that with the low production numbers, and good performance, the STR's will be one of the more desirable Jag's in the future.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Cool

...spelling and syntax is an acquired art as is the ability to replace an STR for something better with 20K.

Good luck with that...

Old 05-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, did you make sure to grease those front calipers? LMAO!!!!

Old 05-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

definitely not bashing the original poster or anything. He probably has a good reason to bitch.....................HOWEVER, for a 2003 w/25k miles on it, and i got it for 15k out the door.........your not gonna hear me bitch at all. Yes the car has some quirks(name me one that doesnt, and ill prove you wrong), but i researched alot about the car before i went and bought it. I think i got a screaming deal, and enjoy just opening the door and getting in. My oldest daughter already called dibs on the car.........imagine that. ANYWAY, i cant think of another car on the road that hasd the head turning ability and the tire smoking ability of the STR especially with the car market right now.Besides say a mustang gt that has had some kid beat the hell out of it.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the second Jaguar S-type that I have owned and I love my car.

My first Jaguar was a 2001 S-type 4.0L sport. I got into the car knowing that the 4.0L engines were prone to problems and the cars might have issues and i was SHOCKED that all I had to do to it were the standard maintenance things. My 01 was a reliable, Clean and VERY sporty 4 dr sedan that got looks everywhere FOR $7K.

I sold the 01 for $6500 a year later with 101000 miles on it and I know the next owner will be pleased as well.

I now own a 2005 STR and LOVE LOVE LOVE This car. For $17K with 50K miles Its a great car for a good price. Heck I even have the Jaguar Select edition warranty in case something happens.

Sorry the OP had a bad experience but coming to a Jaguar Board to bitch about a car you have sold seems like you are missing it already. I do not regret the choices I have made with purchasing my Jaguars. I know that I will be a future owner of Jaguar vehicles so long as they keep up the quality (tata motors).

Old 05-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Im also trying to figure out the original posters intentions, as well as questioning his credibility with only 4 posts.

First of all for the price you paid as well as several other people on here you got your car dirt cheap. Second, just because it had been maintained doesnt mean all/any of the items that should have been warranty replaced had been addressed and fixed. Probably your car would have had few squeaks and rattles if it had been noticed by the original owner. You also could have extended the warranty or bought one with it already on it.

My car is 2 model years older then yours and has just over 73k miles on it. I bought it 2 years ago with 43k on it. Mine came with remainder of the factory warranty as well as the select edition extension. Every single thing was closely checked and tons of stuff was replaced when I bought the car by my dealer even though the car had a perfect maintnace history. This is because lots of little things happen that are hard to notice or you wouldnt even know are wrong unless you examined them closely.

I think you just got a bad apple in the bunch or you didnt examine the car as thoroughly as you probably should have. Like others say just because the cost to enter is inexpensive doesnt mean the cost to play will also be cheap. I almost bought a Maserati coupe for around $35k when I bought my Jaguar. The only thing that stopped me is the fact that its pretty much a Ferrari which means Ferrari maintnance costs. Im 23 and not ready to spend 4 digits on an oil change, plus some of the repair bills associated with big time calls like others mentioned :P

Bottom line: Sorry you werent as happy as the rest of us are, every car has faults, now and then im sure each of us has some choice words for our Jaguars (myself included) but If you want a big boy car you gotta be ready to pay big boy bills or get a 3 series if its too big for you

A sales note for you: sometimes cars that are relative sales flops when in production can have very high demand after discountinued

Old 05-20-2009, 07:18 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Here, Here... While I don't have the luxury (or good luck) to have a R, I did make the choice to go with my Jag understanding that the stuff required to maintain it would not cost Accord money, eventhough the car did. I was done with Accords, great cars in their own right, but not for me. Now my 05 is creaping up on 50k real fast. Get's to get beat up on Ohio roads on a daily basis. And makes less noise than my past two Accords. Sounds like a grumpy guss thought he was buying a Camry/Accord with wood accents.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Looking at his previous posts he said he got a job with a car provided the day after he bought his STR (or joined the forum). Looks like it was forsale the day he brought it home.Also one post says it is an 06 model and an earlier post said 05 model.
I hope the company car works outwell for him.
Good luck.
I love my STR.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

R Type Guy: Seriously, why do you think its a good idea to come to a Jaguar forum and not only bitch about your car but put down the brand altogether. For one, we all love our cars despite any problems or quirks they may have, every car has them, that is why we are here and participate in this forum. It is one thing to come on here with an issue, and to ask for help, but it is a completely different ballgame slamming on the brand and S Types in general. Smarten up.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You know, the XKE is a discontinued car. Do you think anyone wants one of those? This rant was idiotic. I've owned Mercedes, Audi, BMW and the Jag is the best bang for the buck that I have ever enjoyed. Anyway, let him go get something for 20K and we'll drive side by side and then see which attracks more attention....

Old 05-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,391 Likes on 2,867 Posts

I sound like an echo here but bang for the buck is what it's all about with the S-Type, especially the STR. Buy them two to three model-years old with well-cared-for low miles and you won't find a better all-around luxury performance sedan on the planet. But the STR automatically comes with higher maintenance and insurance costs and that's just the way it is. You have to do your homework before you decide to spend your money. Far fewer surprises down the road if you'll do it that way....

Old 05-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

A true enthusiast doesn't care if he has to take a spare carb, MSD box, entire socket set, 21 different hand tools, 25' of rubber line, and a floor jack every time he takes his Duster out and he doesn't car if his Audi gets infested with ants and he has to hire a professionally exterminator to come out and kill them and he definitely doesn't car if his Jags coming out of the shop in 3 days with a $9,600 repair bill. All he cares about is the smile they bring to his face when he hits the gas pedal and the tires go up in smoke or when the kid in the 3 series or SRT-4 cries when he gets killed by a 4,100lb car. You "Type R Guy" are no enthusiast and therefor you are on the wrong forum. If your used to putting Dextron in your 700r4 or your used to the $19.99 oil change in your Chevy Cobalt that's what you need to drive. If you want to drive a big boy $60k car your better have the bank account to maintain it. Good luck and good riddance.

Last edited by whiteSTR; 05-20-2009 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree- it is so not cool to come on here and talk smack about the Jag. I do not have an STR but I do have a 04' S-Type 4.2 V8 and I love it. I bought it two years ago with 31k miles on her and have only had to do basic up keep on it. She is beautiful inside and out- and she gets the looks! Beamers, mercedes and Lexus are a dime a dozen- but the Jaguar is in a class by itself. There is nothing out there that even comes close. I'm sorry you were not happy with your purchase but don't come on here and expect everyone else to feel bad for owning a Jaguar. I for one do not!!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go buy a Honda and have fun....I agree with everyone else except the OP.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm never happy with anything and roam about life trying to find things to bitch about, people love having me around....

I cant wait to hear what the perfect car is...

Old 05-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure I understand.. A 4-5 year old used vehicle with only two minor problems. What's the big deal here?
Someone probably dropped something in the door or left something loose, and the steering noise should be fixed by the Jaguar steering additive for $7.15

From a lot of personal experience I've found all of the 2003+ s-types to be exeptional quality and reliability.

-David

Old 05-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguarevan
I cant wait to hear what the perfect car is...
It's the 05 STR I just picked up used for 15k, the dealer told me some guy just traded it for a Camry because there was a loose screw in the door!

Old 05-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jpamparts
I'm not sure I understand.. A 4-5 year old used vehicle with only two minor problems. What's the big deal here?
Someone probably dropped something in the door or left something loose, and the steering noise should be fixed by the Jaguar steering additive for $7.15

From a lot of personal experience I've found all of the 2003+ s-types to be exeptional quality and reliability.

-David
Except for the leaper which people keep ^@#^&%!@(! stealing!

David, can you ship one to Montreal, QC Canada? How much?

Quick Reply: S-Type Supercharged..Dissapointment