S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type Trade in/Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question S-Type Trade in/Upgrade

Well my family has owned the car for many years. We're pushing 130K miles and things are starting to fall apart. Looking for a replacement...

Requirements: Midsize, luxury, AWD, with MFRs warranty (so relatively new) and has to be under $30K
I appreciate the value a Toyota Avalon or Hyundai Genesis would give, but he wants a car with class and status.

Naturally, I want my dad to trade in for the XF, but he's not having anything to do with RWD anymore. He wants a car he can use in the winter months as well. It's the only cool car I can think of that's still relatively new and fits in our budget. I told him it's not worth it to have AWD that you may need for only 1 week out of the year, but he won't listen.

I was wondering if you guys could suggest another new family car for us to buy? Or give me some great ways to convince my dad to get the XF?

Old 04-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

I have moved your post to the X Type Section as the S Types are NOT AWD.

Good luck to you and your father!

Please stop by the "New Member" area and introduce yourself.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Technically the S-type and the XF - are the same car. LOL. So I do not think it's gonna be easy to convince your dad.

The X-type, Subaru (but the last models are rubbish), Audi (reliability is sucks once warranty is over) MB, BMW, the last Saab 9.5 AWD. Come on...there are hundreds of models with AWD and they are under $30k.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
I have moved your post to the X Type Section as the S Types are NOT AWD.

Good luck to you and your father!

Please stop by the "New Member" area and introduce yourself.
What are you talking about?
I know the car isn't AWD. I never said it was. I know what car I have. Please move my thread back. I know it was posted in the right category. There's no reason for this to be in the X type forum

Old 04-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

He does clearly say they are tired of the RWD, which the X-Type was never offered with, and his Dad wants to consider a new vehicle with AWD.

As a moderator I would think you would want to do better than just skimming a post before making the decision to move it.

Last edited by Gold_04_X-Type; 04-21-2012 at 10:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gtmaster303 (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Not only that Rick, but you sort of look like Tiny Tim. Here's my thoughts on this tragic catastrophe:

For the OP. Chill out. You've signed onto a Jaguar board asking for advice on what type of non-Jaguar your father should buy. ???

Old 04-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

gtmaster303,

I realize midsize is one of the requirements, however, maybe for kicks your family checks out something like a Jeep Grand Cherokee - I believe base price new for the 4X4 is $28k and they are very nice looking (exterior and interior). I am not sure what the reliability is for this model but maybe one option to check out.

Another option is looking at recent model year used luxury sedans like Mercedes-Benz C or E class. I believe they have the 4-matics models which would be AWD. I bet you could easily find a low mileage and still under warranty Certified used.

Anyhow, just some initial thoughts. If I think of more will send.

Good luck.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by BrownRobin
gtmaster303,

I realize midsize is one of the requirements, however, maybe for kicks your family checks out something like a Jeep Grand Cherokee - I believe base price new for the 4X4 is $28k and they are very nice looking (exterior and interior). I am not sure what the reliability is for this model but maybe one option to check out.

Another option is looking at recent model year used luxury sedans like Mercedes-Benz C or E class. I believe they have the 4-matics models which would be AWD. I bet you could easily find a low mileage and still under warranty Certified used.

Anyhow, just some initial thoughts. If I think of more will send.

Good luck.
Lol, we weren't exactly considering a 4x4... I haven't looked into the new Cherokee, maybe I'll check it out.
As for the Benz and BMW equivalents, it's hard to get one that's not on the brink of warranty expiration. The equivalent XF will have about 10-15K less miles than a similarly priced AWD competitor. I know it's supposed to be more expensive, but not worth a year's usage.

Wouldn't a C class be too small?
I'm guessing the car sizes have been skewed quite a bit since my 2000 S-Type came out

Old 04-21-2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Not only that Rick, but you sort of look like Tiny Tim. Here's my thoughts on this tragic catastrophe:

For the OP. Chill out. You've signed onto a Jaguar board asking for advice on what type of non-Jaguar your father should buy. ???
I am calm. Very calm in fact. Just trying to explain myself and where the moderator went wrong. It is a bit outrageous how he didn't even bother reading my post before moving it though.

I'd like to stay in the Jag family, but sadly they don't have any AWD cars, sans the X-Type. Personally I was never really a fan of it. So yes, it's probably going to be a non-jag.
What better place to come than the jag forum? I believe you guys would know what car is a great replacement for the S Type over anyone else because you know what the S Type is already like

Old 04-21-2012, 12:01 PM

I would really love to get the Audi A7. It's the perfect car for all the constraints we have. But it's far too new to be in budget. That's the one thing I love about Jags. The depreciation is so great within the first 2 years, that you can pick one up for nearly half of what it was worth. Very good value there, and you end up driving a car not many others see on the road.

I can't tell you how many people around town know us because we're the only ones to drive an S Type. Was hoping to keep that going with the new XF

Old 04-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

So sorry for moving your post.

Maybe your right I should be hung out to dry for this one.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by gtmaster303
I am calm. Very calm in fact. Just trying to explain myself and where the moderator went wrong. It is a bit outrageous how he didn't even bother reading my post before moving it though.
I share your 'outrage'.

No, I think otter tickle gets dragged out at times like this

Baby Otter Tickled - Cute! (+ Extremly Silly Music) - YouTube

Hey- maybe we should ask new members to post an 'intro' with their car details. That might avoid these calamities. Wadd'ya think?

Last edited by Mikey; 04-21-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:56 PM

Honestly I don't mind you moving my post. It's a moderator's job to do so. But you made it seem like I don't know what I'm talking about